To find other mentions of a particular parish, please use search.

Halton

Introduction

Halton Parish

Church: St Michael and All Angels

Hundred: Aylesbury

Poor Law District: Aylesbury

Size (acres): 1456

Easting & Northing: 487210

Grid Ref SP870100 Click to see map

 

Names

Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Halton PARISH St Michael and All Angels
Haltone NAMES name for Halton in the Domesday Book in 1086
Haulton NAMES name for Halton in 1766
Boddington Hill PLACE within the parish
Bye Green PLACE within the parish

 

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 159
1811 171
1821 195
1831 209
1841 198
1851 157
1861 147
1871 155
1881 195
1891 226
1901 188
1911 195
1921 1502
1931 3332
1941 N/A
1951 3102
1961 3132
1971 3117
1981 2903
1991 1972

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Halton   St Michael & All Angels   Baptisms   1663   1934   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
Halton   St Michael & All Angels   Marriages   1604   1900   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
Halton   St Michael & All Angels   Burials   1606   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here

 

Schools

School Records Project

Place   School Type   Name   Start Year   End Year   Indexed   Document Type
    Halton     Class Register     Halton     19904     1904         Register

 

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 STAPLE BUNCE STEVENS STEVENS
2 FLEXMAN WEEDON GURNEY GURNEY
3 JOHNSON STAPLE SHARP STAPLE
4 MOUNTAGUE GOODSON WYATT SHARP
5 PILGRIME FLEXMAN BEDFORD GOODSON
6 INGLETON GURNEY NORWOOD BUNCE
7 HILL BRANDOM GAMBELL WYATT
8 BULLER WOODWARD WHITE BEDFORD
9 FENNER TURPIN GOODSON NORWOOD
10 TIMBERLAKE SWEBY MUNDAY GAMBELL

 

 

Description

Description of Halton from J. J. Sheahan, 1861.

 

This is a small parish, situated in a flinty tract on the side of the Chiltern Hills, near the border of Hertfordshire. Area, 1,452 acres, population, 157. There are about 600 acres of beach in the parish crowning the Chilterns.

The village, which is small and neat, stands 1.25 mile N. by E. of Wendover. At its north end is a gabled farm-house of wood and plaster of the date of about 1600. The Grand Junction Canal passes through the village, near its centre.

About 1720 the manor and advowson were sold by one of the Fermors to Sir Fras. Dashwood, Bart., from whom it descended to the Dashwood Kings, baronets. In 1851, the manor and estate of Halton, including the advowson of the Rectory, were purchased by Baron Lionel De Rothschild, the present lord of the soil.
The Manor House is a large stone mansion, situated in a retired situation, a little westward of the church, in well-wooded grounds. A few years ago it was the seat of the late Sir John Dashwood King; since then it has been unoccupied.
The living is a Rectory, valued in the King's Books at £13 6s. 8d., and now worth £250 per annum. Patron, Baron de Rothschild; Rector, Rev. George Appleby Cuxon. The tithes were commuted in 1848.

The school is supported by Lady de Rothschild. About 40 children attend.

Education

Halton Parish (Pop. 209)

One Sunday School, wherein 12 males and 18 females are instructed at the expense of the Rector.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.

Hartwell

Education

Hartwell Parish (Pop. 137)

No School in the parish.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.

 

Hardwick cum Weedon

Introduction

Church: St Mary the Virgin

Hundred: Cottesloe

Poor Law District: Aylesbury

Size (acres): 1788

Easting & Northing: 480219

Grid Ref SP800190 Click to see map

Names

Names & Places

 

NameTypeNote
Hardwick cum Weedon PARISH St Mary the Virgin
Hardvic NAMES name for Hardwick in Domesday Book in 1086
Hardweke NAMES name for Hardwick in 1605
Hardwich NAMES name for Hardwick in Domesday Book in 1086
Weslyan NON-CONFORMIST Weedon. First Mentioned: 1772. Built 1833
Furzenhill PLACE within the parish

 

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 385
1811 358
1821 420
1831 405
1841 428
1851 447
1861 425
1871 463
1881 433
1891 413
1901 321
1911 332
1921 325
1931 282
1941 N/A
1951 318
1961 312
1971 353
1981 332
1991 315

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Hardwick cum Weedon   St Mary   Baptisms   1558   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
Hardwick cum Weedon   St Mary   Marriages   1558   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
Hardwick cum Weedon   St Mary   Burials   1557   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here

 

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 PERRY FLEET SEAMONS WATKINS
2 SYMONS HOW STRANKS SEAMONS
3 BATSON SEAMONS HOUNSLOW FLEET
4 SYRED WATKINS WATKINS BATSON
5 MILLER BROOKS TODD STRANKS
6 BOWDEN THORN BATSON MILLER
7 EAST RAY MILLER HOW
8 MARCHAM HOLLAND HONOUR HOUNSLOW
9 HOW LEE FLEET LEE
10 BATES BATSON SIMONDS TODD

 

Description

Description of Hardwick cum Weedon from Sheanhan, 1861

The parish of Hardwick, with the hamlet of Weedon, contains 3,200 acres, and 739 inhabitants; of which 1,340 acres and 292 acres belong to Hardwick. The rateable value of Hardwick is £2,025. The soil is chiefly clay. The village is situated on the Aylesbury and Buckingham road, 3.5 miles N. of the former town.

Lillies is a large gabled mansion in the Gothic style, with cemented fronts, and stands pleasently in park-like well wooded grounds. It is now occupied by A.J.N. Connel, Esq., M.D. The late Lord Nugent wrote the "Legend of Lilies."

The village of Weedon is much larger than that of Hardwick, and is pleasingly seated on an eminence overlooking the town and vale of Aylesbury. It is distant about one mile south from the village of Hardwick, and nearly three miles north from the town of Aylesbury. Here are several modern genteel houses of red-brick; and there is a curious antique-looking house, bearing the date, 1649. A detached portion of the hamlet, called East End, contains two farms, and about a dozen cottage residences. Weedon Lodge, the residence of Mr. John Lucas, is a genteel red brick house, which commands a pleasant view. At the farm called Golbys, Weedon Hill, is a large range of farm buildings erected in 1860 be Baron de Rothschild. Being composed of bright red brick, with bands, chequer work, and devices in black brick, this pile is of an ornamental and attractive character. The disposition of the barn, stables, granaries, cattle sheds, etc. - forming three sides of a square, is perfect, and the buildings are of fire proof materials. The dwelling-house, also of red and black brick, and like the farm buildings covered with red tiles, staneds about twenty yeards from the farm-yard, having the high road between them. This place is in the occupation of Mr. Edward John Clift.

Hardwick was inclosed under the provisions of an Act passed in 1778, but Weedon was not inclosed until 1801. Under both inclosure acts, allotments of land were granted to the Rector in lieu of tithes.

Weedon contains 1,860 acres, and in 1851 the population numbered 447 souls.

Weedon

Weedon lies about half a mile to the east of the road from Aylesbury to Buckingham, about three miles north of Aylesbury. Some 350 people live in the village, in 140 houses, the oldest probably being the Manor farmhouse, which carries several dates in the 1640s on its walls. Several families have lived in Weedon for many generations; the Fleets for 200 or so years, the Finchers for upwards of a hundred.

By the main crossroads is the tiny village green, and Five Elms Inn, which is thatched like several of its neighbours. Beside the Five Elms a lane called Stockaway leads to the village pond.

Although the name Weedon means 'A place of heathen worship' the village has the distinction of having been the location of the first place in Buckinghamshire licensed for Methodist services, and John Wesley himself is said to have preached from a mound near the crossroads. Now there is a Methodist church, and a dedicated sanctuary in part of the Old Schoolroom, where Anglican services are regularly held. There are some traces of monastic ruins in the grounds of the Lilies to the north west of the village, but there is no material evidence to support the legend that there was once a convent called the Roses at the south east end, in the grounds of Weedon Lodge.

In the mid-19th century Lord Nugent, younger brother of the Duke of Buckingham lived in the Lilies, and it is rumoured that in his time the local militia used to march from a row of cottages still locally known as the Barracks, to be drilled on the Lilies lawn. Although the house was rebuilt in 1870, the fleur-de-lys has been retained in the porch as a reminder that Louis Philippe was expected to spend his years of exile from France there, but he went to another house near Aylesbury.

In the 19th century the village was almost self-supporting. Most of the men worked on the farms or at the Lilies, and the women and girls worked as domestics or as lace makers and straw plaiters for hats. There was a baker, a butcher, a blacksmith, bricklayers and carpenters, and a tailor, and there were several small shops. Nowadays apart from farmers and farm workers, most people travel to Aylesbury or further afield to work.

Article written by members of the Buckinghamshire Federation of Women's Institutes for the publication "The Buckinghamshire Village Book" (1987) and reproduced here with their permission

Education

Hardwicke Parish (Pop. 235)

Two Daily Schools, respectively containing 30 males and 18 females; endowed by the Rev. John Bridle, a former Rector of tne parish, for educating 18 males and 12 females, the remainder are paid for by their parents.

Weedon Hamlet (Pop. 405)

One Daily School (commenced 1831), in which about 20 children of both sexes are instructed at the expense of their parents.

One Sunday School (commenced 1831), supported by voluntary contributions consisting of 25 males and 35 females; attached to Wesleyan Methodists.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.

Hillesden

Introduction

Hillesden Parish

Church: All Saints

Hundred: Buckingham

Poor Law District: Buckingham

Size (acres): 2606

Easting & Northing: 468228

Grid Ref SP680280 Click to see map

 

Names

Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Hillesden PARISH All Saints
Hillersden NAMES name for Hillesden in 1755
Ilesdone NAMES name for Hillesden in Domesday Book in 1086
Ulesdone NAMES name for Hillesden in Domesday Book in 1086
Brasses Spinney PLACE within the parish
Hillesdenwood (Fm) PLACE within the parish

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 183
1811 216
1821 247
1831 251
1841 262
1851 244
1861 251
1871 274
1881 221
1891 197
1901 181
1911 205
1921 164
1931 147
1941 N/A
1951 189
1961 199
1971 192
1981 204
1991 188

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Hillesden   All Saints   Baptisms   1594   1909   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Hillesden   All Saints   Marriages   1594   1836   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Hillesden   All Saints   Burials   1595   1834   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 DENTON WARR CADD CADD
2 DENT CADD LINES LINES
3 BUTCHER COOK JEFFS JEFFS
4 NOTTINGHAM HORWOOD STUCHBURY WARR
5 LONG LINES HAZEL STUCHBURY
6 MILLER FRIDAY STUCHBERRY HAZEL
7 ASH DIXON STALEY STUCHBERRY
8 TIPPING HARDING WARR STALEY
9 TYLER BATES MILLS HOLTON
10 LUCAS LAND HOLTON JUDGE

 

Description

Description of  from Sheahan, 1861.

 

This parish contains 2,150 acres, and 251 souls. Its rateable value is £3,344. The Village is divided into three distinct parts called the Church End, the Barracks, and Lower End. It is distant 3.75 miles S. from Buckingham.

Hillesden House was fought over during the Civil War, being the ownership of the royalist Sir Alexander Denton, who started to fortify the house. Sir Alexander obtained a troop of cavalry and about 150 troops from Oxford under the command of Colonel Smith, with five small guns and ammunition. The first attack, made on the 27th February 1643, by a party of 300 horse and foot from Aylesbury was unsuccessful. Another attempt was made on the 4th March with the house being surrounded by a considerable army led by Colonel Cromwell. The terms of surrender were not agreed and the house and adjacent church were overrun. Sir Alexander Denton, and his brother, Colonel Smith, Lieutenant-Colonel Hostler, Major Aunion, and several other officers, were captured and marched by foot to Padbury. There were at least 40 killed that day by the Parliamentarians.

The soldiers of the Parliament ransacked the house and found much treasure concealed in the wainscotting and underneath the leads of the roof; and on the 5th of March, having heard the news of the advance of a large body of King's troops from Oxford to Hillesden, they set fire to the house which reduced it to ruins. The troops then withdraw - Sir Samuel Luke to Newport, and Colonel Oliver Cromwell to Buckingham.

Education

Hillesden Parish (Pop. 251)

One Sunday School, consisting of about 40 children of both sexes (recommenced 1827); supported by voluntary contributions.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.

Hoggeston

Introduction

Hoggeston Parish

Church: Holy Cross

Hundred: Cottesloe

Poor Law District: Winslow

Size (acres): 1571

Easting & Northing: 480225

Grid Ref SP800250 Click to see map

Names

Names & Places

 

NameTypeNote
Hoggeston PARISH Holy Cross
Hochestone NAMES name for Hoggeston Domesday Book in 1086
Particular Baptist NON-CONFORMIST Meeting House. First Mentioned: 1839
Primitive Methodist NON-CONFORMIST Meeting House. First Mentioned: 1851
Blacklands PLACE within the parish
Hurdlesgrove PLACE within the parish

 

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 197
1811 190
1821 188
1831 173
1841 204
1851 220
1861 207
1871 191
1881 175
1891 166
1901 129
1911 138
1921 124
1931 81
1941 N/A
1951 87
1961 81
1971 66
1981 79
1991 90

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Hoggeston   Holy Cross   Baptisms   1548   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
Hoggeston   Holy Cross   Marriages   1547   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
Hoggeston   Holy Cross   Burials   1547   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here

 

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 CLEMENTS BUTCHER KIMBLE KIMBLE
2 TURNAM TURNHAM KNIGHT KNIGHT
3 MAYNE ROGERS HOPKINS CLEMENTS
4 WELLS SHARP WHITE WHITE
5 SHORT CLEMENTS BAYLIS HOPKINS
6 TURNUM SHORT FOSKETT TURNAM
7 GREENE GAYTON SHARP SHARP
8 KINDER FOSKET MORRIS MAYNE
9 GATAKER GREEN HOLLIS BUTCHER
10 HALL REYNOLDS HARDING SHORT

 

Description

Description of Hoggeston from J.J. Sheahan, 1861.

The parish of Hogston, or Hoggeston, contains 1,526 acres, and 207 persons. The soil is a gravelly loam upon a bead of clay. The village is small, neat, and compact, and lies about 3.5 miles S.E. from Winslow, and 8.5 miles N.E. from Aylesbury. Straw plait and bone lace are made here.

The Manor House is now a farm dwelling, near the churchyard on its south side, is an ancient, quaint, picturesque, and interesting building, of red brick, in the Domestic Gothic style. Formerly there were corresponding entrances to the hall, on the north and south sides, by large sized arched doorways, enriched with ornamental brick work; but these doorways have been modernised, and the entrance hall is now used as a dairy. Some of the stucco bosses, with which this apartment was formerly embellished still remain.

Hogston is considered a very healthy village. Thomas Knight, one of the villagers, died here in 1859, at the advanced age of 101 years.

Education

Hoggeston Parish (Pop. 173)

Two Daily Schools, in which 12 males and 12 females are instructed at the expense of their parents.

Two Sunday Schools, with about the same number; supported by the Lord of the Manor.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.

Hogshaw

Introduction

Hogshaw Parish

Church:

Hundred: Ashendon

Poor Law District: Winslow

Size (acres): 1322

Easting & Northing: 473222

Grid Ref SP730220 Click to see map

 

Names

Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Hogshaw PARISH  
Hogcsaue NAMES name for Hogshaw in Domesday Book in 1086
Hogsher NAMES name for Hogshaw in 1614
Fulbrook PLACE within the parish

 

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 55
1811 55
1821 68
1831 48
1841 50
1851 50
1861 50
1871 61
1881 62
1891 78
1901 56
1911 57
1921 57
1931 43
1941 N/A
1951 36
1961 42
1971 45
1981 40
1991 30

There was no census in 1941.

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 MELMOTH BARRETT CURTIS CURTIS
2 WILIAS FASTNIDGE BUCKINGHAM BRASELL
3 WATSONNE BRASELL BRASELL BARRETT
4 SWAYNE SARE TODD FASTNIDGE
5 SWAINE HERBERT HUGHES SARE
6 REEVE GAWDERY PITTAIN HERBERT
7 HENN WELCH HIGGINS HUGHES
8 HANNES CURTIS HENLEY BUCKINGHAM
9 FORD STEVENS BEECHAM TODD
10 FOORD QUARTERMAIN COLEMAN STONE

Description

Description of Hogshaw from Sheahan, 1861.

 

Hogshaw, anciently Oggesaue, and Hocsaga, probably from signifying floods, sedgy and marshy ground, abounding with reeds and miry places - and Fulbrook, deriving its name by an obvious etymology - form a parish of 1,030 acres, situated in a little valley between some fine bold insulated hills. Rateable value, £1,964; population 50. The soil is clayey, intermixed with sand and gravel. There is no village: six farm houses and one cottage lie scattered over the parish. The place is distant from Winslow 4 miles S.W. by S., and 8 to 9 miles N.W. from Aylesbury. Hogshaw adjoins East Claydon and Botolph Claydon.

The present Lord of the Manor is Josia Dupre, Esq., of Wilton Park, Beaconsfield. Besides the Lord of the Manor, the other principle landowners are the Duke of Leeds, Sir Harry Verney, Bart., and Bernard Fountaine, Esq. The farmers of Lower Hogshaw and Fulbrook repair their own roads; and the other tenant farmers repair the high road.

Hulcott

{tab Introduction}

Hulcott Parish

Church: All Saints

Hundred: Aylesbury

Poor Law District: Aylesbury

Size (acres): 717

Easting & Northing: 485216

Grid Ref SP850160 Click to see map

{tab Names}

Names & Places

 

NameTypeNote
Hulcott PARISH All Saints
Hiulcote NAMES name for Hulcott in 1535
Huckett NAMES name for Huckett in 1626
Huckott NAMES name for Hulcott in 1539
Rowsham PLACE within the parish

 {tab Links}

Links

Buckinghamshire Remembers - War Memorial Buckinghamshire Remembers - War Memorial
Village site Village site
Church Stained Glass Church Stained Glass
Search The National Archives for Hulcott Search The National Archives for Hulcott

 

Photographs

Photographs in our Gallery Photographs in our Gallery

These links will take you to external websites which will open in a new browser window. Bucks FHS is not responsible for nor has any control over the content of these sites. If any of these links do not work please let us know. It would be helpful if you could say which parish you were viewing and the name of the link which is broken.

{tab Population}

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 117
1811 125
1821 139
1831 145
1841 133
1851 150
1861 143
1871 125
1881 119
1891 108
1901 88
1911 113
1921 120
1931 88
1941 N/A
1951 69
1961 55
1971 79
1981 80
1991 90

There was no census in 1941.

{tab Records}

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Hulcott   All Saints   Baptisms   1539   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Hulcott   All Saints   Marriages   1539   1840   Not available   Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Hulcott   All Saints   Burials   1539   1907   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available

 {tab Surnames}

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 RASH THORNE THORNE THORNE
2 WHITCHURCH FLEET HILL SEAMONS
3 BATE SEAMONS ELLIOTT HILL
4 SHARPE BISHOP MESSENGER FLEET
5 SMITH BATES SEAMONS ELLIOTT
6 THORNE WALLIS WALLIS WALLIS
7 STRATFOLD FINCHER STEVENS MESSENGER
8 SMYTH MUSTO UNDERWOOD STEVENS
9 WIATT ADKINS HIGGS WHITCHURCH
10 EDWARDS INWOODS FLEET SMITH

 

 

{Description}

Description of Hulcott from Sheahan, 1861.

Read more: Hulcott

Additional information