Church: Holy Trinity

Hundred: Burnham

Poor Law District: Amersham

Size (acres): 3992

Easting & Northing: 491193

Grid Ref SU910930 Click to see map


Names & Places

Penn PARISH Holy Trinity
Hoddesmore NAMES name for Hodgemoor Wood in 1592
Knattocks NAMES name for Knotty Green in 1806
Baptist NON-CONFORMIST Beacon Hill. First Mentioned: 1808. Demolished 1935
Methodist NON-CONFORMIST Winchmore Hill Chapel House. First Mentioned: 1820
Methodist NON-CONFORMIST Providence Chapel. First Mentioned: 1808
Beacon Hill PLACE within the parish
Brook Wood PLACE within the parish
Forty Green PLACE within the parish
Gatemoor Wood PLACE within the parish
Glory (Fm) PLACE within the parish
Hazlemere PLACE within the parish
Hodgemoor Wood PLACE within the parish
Holtspur Bottom (Part) PLACE within the parish
Knotty Green PLACE within the parish
Penn Street PLACE within the parish
Putnam Place PLACE within the parish
Tylers Green (Part) PLACE within the parish
Winchmore Hill (Part) PLACE within the parish



Buckinghamshire Remembers - War Memorial Buckinghamshire Remembers - War Memorial
Victoria County History Victoria County History
Church Stained Glass Church Stained Glass
Search The National Archives for Penn Search The National Archives for Penn
Penn & Tyler Green Penn & Tylers Green
Church Stained Glass Church Stained Glass



Photographs in our Gallery Photographs in our Gallery
Pictures in the Frith collection Pictures in the Frith collection

These links will take you to external websites which will open in a new browser window. Bucks FHS is not responsible for nor has any control over the content of these sites. If any of these links do not work please let us know. It would be helpful if you could say which parish you were viewing and the name of the link which is broken.



These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

1801 927
1811 950
1821 1054
1831 1103
1841 1040
1851 1254
1861 1096
1871 1086
1881 1100
1891 1021
1901 1030
1911 1472
1921 1604
1931 1767
1941 N/A
1951 2060
1961 3112
1971 4237
1981 3765
1991 3829

There was no census in 1941.



Parish  Church  Register  Start
Penn   Holy Trinity   Baptisms   1559   1901   Yes,
click here
click here
click here
Penn   Holy Trinity   Marriages   1559   1901   Yes,
click here
click here
click here
Penn   Holy Trinity   Burials   1559   1901   Yes,
click here
click here
click here



These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  


Description of Penn from J.J. Sheahan, 1861.

Penn parish extends over a lofty ridge, and contains 4,270 acres, and 1,096 souls. Its rateable value is £3,074. The village is large and scattered and lies 3 miles N.W. by W. from Beaconsfield, 4 miles S.W. of Amersham, and 4 miles E. from Wycombe. The place is supposed by some to have derived its name from the family Penn, one of whom was the celebrated founder of Pennsylvania, or it may be that the place gave name to the family, as the word Penn means head or top, and the village stands on such high ground, that several counties may bee seen from the church tower. Beacon Hill, about half a mile from the church, is probably the site of an ancient beacon or signal post.

Penn has been formed of the lands that belonged to Amersham and Chesham, and at an early period the manor was in the Penn family. The Penns become extinct in the elder branch by the death of Roger Penn Esq., in 1735, then their estate here passed by the marriage of his sister and heir to Sir Nathaniel Curson, Bart.

The manor of Segraves, in Penn, now considered the principal manor, belonged to the family Turville, in the reign of Henry II.; and subsequently to the Brothertons, Segraves, Mobrays, Berkeleys, and Brays. Again it came to the Penn family, and passed by inheritance to Lord Curzon. The estate is now the property of Earl Howe.


The area of the continuous villages of Penn and Tylers Green was once the centre of a flourishing tiling industry, whose products provided flooring for many local churches, and also parts of Windsor Castle and the Palace of Westminster.
Nothing of this can now been seen — apart from the odd tile fragment which villagers still might encounter while digging in the garden, and various 'dells' whence clay was dug; — even the tiles from the floor of Penn Church have been moved to the Herts County Museum at St Albans, and we are only reminded of the mediaeval tilers by the names of Tylers Green, Potters Cross and Clay Street.

In the 14th century, tiles were replacing beaten earth for floors, and were produced in many areas, but it is suggested that what made the Penn tiles so sought-after was a technique, possibly introduced by one 'Simon the Payver' of burning glazed floor tiles patterned in two colours — at a price that could undercut other producers. Because of the difficulty in transporting these tiles, the area they were used in was fairly local, but Hedsor wharf on the Thames was accessible by track, and as well as satisfying local customers, the tiles could be despatched even as far as Cobham in Kent, to London and to Windsor.

There used to be a large house at Tyler End Green overlooking the Common, close to Widmer Pond. In 1680, Nathaniel Curzon bought 'the capital messuage at or near Tiler End Greene with its outhouses, stables, yards, gardens and backsides' together with 48 acres, for £477, 'being the greatest price they could get'. Included in the 48 acres were 4 acres immediately adjoining the house running from where The Red Lion and Bank House now stand down to French Meadow Cottage.

Edmund Burke, an Irishman, was a Member of Parliament elected for Wendover under the patronage of Ralph, second Earl Verney, and he was a clever writer and a brilliant talker and deeply involved in all the great issues of his day. In 1794, aged 65, he retired from Parliament to Gregories. In the same year Tylers Green House had been leased to the Government who urgently needed accommodation for a large number of French priests, refugees from the French Revolution. Burke considered the house totally unsuitable for that purpose but was desperate to find somewhere to set up a school for French boys, sons of men who had been killed in the Emigre Corps or still on active service. He set out his proposal for such a school in the house at Penn to the Prime Minister, William Pitt. He described the plight of the poor children living in the squalor of the back streets of London so vividly that Pitt agreed to the scheme and its financing and Burke was made responsible for setting up the school at Tylers Green House to house 60 boys.
After the restoration of the French Monarchy in 1814 it was taken over by the French Government but closed in 1820. Two years after the School was closed, the house was sold by auction, pulled down and carried away.

Penn and Tylers Green is now better known as the area from which commuters set off on their daily journey to work in the London area.

Article written by members of the Buckinghamshire Federation of Women's Institutes for the publication "The Buckinghamshire Village Book" (1987) and reproduced here with their permission



The tiny hamlet of Forty Green (originally known as 'Faulty Green') lies within the parish of Penn in Chiltern District and in 1875 consisted of only ten houses and the famous inn, The Royal Standard of England.

A building was mentioned on the site of this inn in documents when Penn Church (of Quaker fame) was dedicated in 1213 and was then called the Ship Inn.
When battles were fought in the nearby beechwoods between the Roundheads and the Royalists, the inn became the headquarters of the Royalists and was called The Standard by the soldiers as the building stood on a hill. The story goes that King Charles I hid there. Certainly after the Restoration of the Monarchy in 1660, Charles II gave permission for the inn to be renamed and it is believed it is still the only one in the country bearing the name of The Royal Standard of England.

Forty Green is surrounded on three sides by woods: Corkers Wood — newly planted with pine, Roundhead Wood, and the largest — Hogback Wood is now owned by the National Trust. The woods still show signs of the 'Bodgers' work. The saw pits used by them are now playgrounds for children. In days gone by these beech woods were used to supply timber for the furniture factories of nearby High Wycombe. Muntjac deer and foxes can still be seen in gardens and woods despite being only 23 miles from London. Part of the commuter belt, few residents work on the land and many are retired.

Article written by members of the Buckinghamshire Federation of Women's Institutes for the publication "The Buckinghamshire Village Book" (1987) and reproduced here with their permission


Adjacent to Forty Green and previously known as 'Naughty Green' this village lies along the main road between Beaconsfield and Penn in Chiltern District.
Just off the main road there is a charming cricket pitch with a small recreation area adjoining for the youngsters and, in one corner, an old dew pond now fenced off, which is known to have been used for sheep dipping and reputed to have been in existence for 400 years.

Opposite the cricket pitch stands Hutchins Barn — a 16th century timbered house with a minstrels gallery which, over the years has been modernised. Eghams Farm, built in Tudor times, is a private residence and stands on a path leading to Hogback Wood.

Baylins Farm retains much of its old character with flagstone floors and inglenook fireplaces, low ceilings and wooden beams.

Knotty Green is in Penn Parish and has many large houses standing in their own grounds with two large housing estates providing an overspill for Beaconsfield.

Article written by members of the Buckinghamshire Federation of Women's Institutes for the publication "The Buckinghamshire Village Book" (1987) and reproduced here with their permission


Penn Parish (Pop. 1,103)

Two Daily Schools; one of which is endowed, but, about 5 years ago was united to the National Central School, under the present clergyman; and on that system, 40 males are taught reading, writing and arithmetic; in the other, 14 females are gratuitously instructed in reading and needle-work.

Three Sunday Schools; two of which consist of 68 males and 99 females, who attend the Established Church ; these, together with the female School, commenced about 1818; the other appertains to Wesleyan Methodists, and consists of 43 males and 42 females, all supported by voluntary contributions.

In addition to the above there are Seven small Schools, in which females are taught to make lace, and to read ; there is no lending Library, but the whole parish has free access to one belonging to the clergyman.