Hillesden

Introduction

Hillesden Parish

Church: All Saints

Hundred: Buckingham

Poor Law District: Buckingham

Size (acres): 2606

Easting & Northing: 468228

Grid Ref SP680280 Click to see map

 

Names

Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Hillesden PARISH All Saints
Hillersden NAMES name for Hillesden in 1755
Ilesdone NAMES name for Hillesden in Domesday Book in 1086
Ulesdone NAMES name for Hillesden in Domesday Book in 1086
Brasses Spinney PLACE within the parish
Hillesdenwood (Fm) PLACE within the parish

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 183
1811 216
1821 247
1831 251
1841 262
1851 244
1861 251
1871 274
1881 221
1891 197
1901 181
1911 205
1921 164
1931 147
1941 N/A
1951 189
1961 199
1971 192
1981 204
1991 188

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Hillesden   All Saints   Baptisms   1594   1909   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Hillesden   All Saints   Marriages   1594   1836   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Hillesden   All Saints   Burials   1595   1834   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 DENTON WARR CADD CADD
2 DENT CADD LINES LINES
3 BUTCHER COOK JEFFS JEFFS
4 NOTTINGHAM HORWOOD STUCHBURY WARR
5 LONG LINES HAZEL STUCHBURY
6 MILLER FRIDAY STUCHBERRY HAZEL
7 ASH DIXON STALEY STUCHBERRY
8 TIPPING HARDING WARR STALEY
9 TYLER BATES MILLS HOLTON
10 LUCAS LAND HOLTON JUDGE

 

Description

Description of  from Sheahan, 1861.

 

This parish contains 2,150 acres, and 251 souls. Its rateable value is £3,344. The Village is divided into three distinct parts called the Church End, the Barracks, and Lower End. It is distant 3.75 miles S. from Buckingham.

Hillesden House was fought over during the Civil War, being the ownership of the royalist Sir Alexander Denton, who started to fortify the house. Sir Alexander obtained a troop of cavalry and about 150 troops from Oxford under the command of Colonel Smith, with five small guns and ammunition. The first attack, made on the 27th February 1643, by a party of 300 horse and foot from Aylesbury was unsuccessful. Another attempt was made on the 4th March with the house being surrounded by a considerable army led by Colonel Cromwell. The terms of surrender were not agreed and the house and adjacent church were overrun. Sir Alexander Denton, and his brother, Colonel Smith, Lieutenant-Colonel Hostler, Major Aunion, and several other officers, were captured and marched by foot to Padbury. There were at least 40 killed that day by the Parliamentarians.

The soldiers of the Parliament ransacked the house and found much treasure concealed in the wainscotting and underneath the leads of the roof; and on the 5th of March, having heard the news of the advance of a large body of King's troops from Oxford to Hillesden, they set fire to the house which reduced it to ruins. The troops then withdraw - Sir Samuel Luke to Newport, and Colonel Oliver Cromwell to Buckingham.

Education

Hillesden Parish (Pop. 251)

One Sunday School, consisting of about 40 children of both sexes (recommenced 1827); supported by voluntary contributions.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.

Additional information