The village of Chenies is mainly situated on a hill above the beautiful valley of the river Chess.
Its history is a long one, dating back to Saxon times when it is believed that there was a wooden church on the site of the present St Michael's church. The name Chenies is thought to derive from Cheney; a family of that name once being the Lords of the Manor.

Read more: Chenies

Education Provision 1833

Chenies Parish (Pop. 649)

One Infant School, in which are 20 males and 23 females.

One Daily School, containing 35 males and 26 females.

Read more: Education Provision 1833

Notes on Chenies

Description of Chenies from J. J. Sheahan, 1861


Register to

Additional information