Chesham Bois

Introduction

Church: St Leonard

Hundred: Burnham

Poor Law District: Amersham

Size (acres): 910

Easting & Northing: 496199

Grid Ref SU960990 Click to see map

Names

Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Chesham Bois PARISH St Leonard

 

Links

Links

Buckinghamshire Remembers - War Memorial Buckinghamshire Remembers - War Memorial
Victoria County History Victoria County History
War Memorial War Memorial
Search The National Archives for Chesham+Bois Search The National Archives for Chesham Bois
Buckinghamshire Remembers - Roman Catholic Church Buckinghamshire Remembers - Roman Catholic Church
Buckinghamshire Remembers - Chesham Bois Burial Ground Buckinghamshire Remembers - Chesham Bois Burial Ground
Buckinghamshire Remembers - Chesham Bois Scout Hut Buckinghamshire Remembers - Chesham Bois Scout Hut
Church Stained Glass Church Stained Glass

 

Photographs

Photographs in our Gallery Photographs in our Gallery
Pictures in the Frith collection Pictures in the Frith collection

These links will take you to external websites which will open in a new browser window. Bucks FHS is not responsible for nor has any control over the content of these sites. If any of these links do not work please let us know. It would be helpful if you could say which parish you were viewing and the name of the link which is broken.

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 135
1811 130
1821 160
1831 157
1841 218
1851 185
1861 218
1871 258
1881 351
1891 552
1901 767
1911 1253
1921 1792
1931 2055
1941 N/A
1951 1640
1961 2054
1971 2847
1981 2839
1991 2761

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Chesham Bois   St Leonard   Baptisms   1813   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Chesham Bois   St Leonard   Marriages   1561   1906   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Chesham Bois   St Leonard   Burials   1813   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available

 

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 WARE WARE COX WARE
2 LOVET GROVER HOLT BATCHELOR
3 DELL BATCHELOR SAUNDERS COX
4 LARKIN CHARSLEY BIRCH BIRCH
5 LOVETT LOVETT BATCHELOR HOLT
6 HOWE HERNE WILKINSON SAUNDERS
7 GROVER NASH SMITH SMITH
8 CHILD SWAIN AYRES WILKINSON
9 HUNT HILL WARE GROVER
10 COCK CLARKE CLIMPSON AYRES

 

Notes

The earliest that is known about Chesham Bois is that a prehistoric trade route came down from Ley Hill, across the river Chess and up Hollow Way Lane, continuing to Amersham, Penn and eventually the south coast. Ancient tracks such as this were marked at frequent intervals by stone boulders and locally the distinctive puddingstone, a mass of pebbles in a stone-like matrix, was used. Many of these stones can still be seen lining the drive from Bois Lane to the church.

The Domesday Survey of 1086 records that Chesham included a Saxon manor given by William the Conqueror to his half-brother Odo, Bishop of Bayeux: but in the reign of King John its ownership in fee was acquired by a Norman family named de Bosco or du Bois. William du Bois occupied a manor house which he either rebuilt or erected about 1213, with a family chapel nearby. This forms the chancel of the present parish church of St Leonards, although the house itself has long since disappeared. The church is approached through an avenue of chestnut trees, and is first seen across an open meadow.

The manor passed through a number of different hands until Sir Thomas Cheyne purchased it in 1446. Sir Thomas was a Lollard, of whom there were a number in the Amersham area, and some were burnt at the stake in 1414. Sir Thomas himself was imprisoned in the Tower in the same year for his heretical beliefs. The Cheynes held the manor for the next three centuries until 1738 when it passed to the Russell family, who became Dukes of Bedford. The old rectory on Chesham Bois Common was designed and built in the characteristic Russell style, similar to that used in Chenies village and at Woburn; the two-storeyed porch bears the date 1833 and displays the ducal coronet.

Two farms were recorded at Chesham Bois in the 16th century, Manor Farm and Bois Farm. The latter is now part of the Beacon School on the main road to Chesham, where a massive and splendidly timbered Elizabethan barn, partly converted into a farm building, can still be seen. For a time in the 1930s this was used as a repertory theatre. Bois Mill, in the Chess valley has a long history. The house occupies the site of the original water-mill recorded in the Domesday Survey, when it was worth three shillings.

Even up to the middle of the 19th century very little development took place in this peaceful part of Bucks. The population in 1806 was 135 and fifty years later it had risen to 258. Towards the end of the century the village around Anne's Corner began to develop and when an enterprising builder, William Gomm, built some of the substantial houses facing the Common, most of their doors, fireplaces, balustrading and window-frames came from the late period houses which had been demolished to make way for Marylebone Station. Most of the present day housing development has taken place since the Second World War, with large gardens being divided up.


Article written by members of the Buckinghamshire Federation of Women's Institutes for the publication "The Buckinghamshire Village Book" (1987) and reproduced here with their permission

Description

Description of Chesham Bois from J. J. Sheahan, 1861.

Area 905 acres; population 218; rateable value £1,115. The situation is hilly, and the soil in general is a stiff clay resting on chalk. The small river Chess forms a boundary of the parish of the parish to the north. The village is small and seated on high ground, 1.5 mile N.E. by N. of Amersham, and a like distance S. from Chesham.

The family of De Bosco or De Bois, is the first to which the Manor can be distinctly traced. Wm. de Bosco was lord of this parish in 1246. The estate was afterwards in the Chesham family, and subsequently in the Windsors. About 1445 it passed to the Cheynes. William Cheyne, Viscount Newhaven, died without male issue in 1728, and his widow bequeathed this manor to Lady Gower. About 1738, John, Lord Gower, sold it to the Duke of Bedford, and the present Duke is the Lord of the Manor; but Lord Chesham, Benjamin Fuller, Esq., Mr John Garratt, and Mrs Kingstone, are the principle landowners.

The mansion of the Cheyne family stood near the church, and the field through which the carriage-way to the house passed is now called "Coach Meadow." A very interesting account of the Cheyne family, by the Rev. W.H. Kelke, is given in the Records of Buckinghamshire (vols i and ii).

Education

Chesham-Bois Parish (Pop. 157)

One Daily School, containing 22 children of both sexes (commenced 1831), who are instructed at the expense of their parents.

One Sunday School (commenced 1831), in which about 36 receive gratuitous instruction.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.