Astwood

Introduction

Church: St Peter

Hundred: Newport

Poor Law District: Newport Pagnell

Size (acres): 1286

Easting & Northing: 495247

Grid Ref SP950470 Click to see map

Names


Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Astwood PARISH St Peter
Estwood by Neuport Paynel NAMES name for Astwood in 1341
Astwood Bury PLACE within the parish

 

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 160
1811 209
1821 263
1831 268
1841 243
1851 268
1861 247
1871 268
1881 222
1891 187
1901 168
1911 140
1921 116
1931 127
1941 N/A
1951 113
1961 176
1971 157
1981 133
1991 131

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Astwood   St Peter   Baptisms   1667   1914   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
Astwood   St Peter   Marriages   1575   1903   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
Astwood   St Peter   Burials   1666   1905   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 KING WALKER WRIGHT WRIGHT
2 KILPIN BASS FLUTE FLUTE
3 HARTWELL KING HOBBS HOBBS
4 COLEMAN SHEFFIELD SANDERS HALL
5 REYNOLDS ODELL HALL SANDERS
6 INGERSHALL SMITH ROSS ROSS
7 SHEFFEILD HART BARCOCK BARCOCK
8 SMITH HOBBS DUNKLEY KING
9 PHILLIPS BRINKLOW HERBERT DUNKLEY
10 HIGGINS TATTAM DUDLEY ODELL

Notes

Astwood is a small parish on the Bedfordshire boarder, 5.5 miles north-east of Newport Pagnell. There are 1,281 acres in the parish with 47 inhabited house in 1891, this had dropped to 41 houses in 1901. The population in 1891 was 187 and dropped to 168 in 1901. There were 92 males in 1891 and 80 in 1901; while 95 females in 1891 and 88 in 1901.

Education

Astwood Parish (Pop. 268)

Two Sunday Schools, in one are 30 males and 35 females, who attend the Established Church, supported by T. A. Boswell, Esq., Lord of the Manor;
the other (commenced 1829), consists of 9 males and 18 females, supported by subscription appertaining to a congregation of Dissenters.

Abstract of Education Returns 1833

Bradwell Abbey

Introduction

Church:

Hundred: Newport

Poor Law District: Newport Pagnell

Size (acres): 447

Easting & Northing: 482239

Grid Ref SP827395 Click to see map

Names

Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Bradwell Abbey PARISH  

 

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 12
1811 10
1821 20
1831 17
1841 21
1851 16
1861 14
1871 10
1881 28
1891 16
1901 18
1911 34
1921 29
1931 18
1941 N/A
1951 22
1961 10
1971 11
1981 2762
1991 6431

There was no census in 1941.

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 WEST WEST WEST WEST
2 SAUNDERS LEATCH SAUNDERS BATTAMS
3 MICKLEY HANLEE MICKLEY SAUNDERS
4 LEATCH DUICK BRYANT MICKLEY
5 HANLEE COX BENNETT LEATCH
6 DUICK BATTAMS BATTAMS HANLEE
7 COX SAUNDERS LEATCH DUICK
8 BRYANT MICKLEY HANLEE COX
9 BENNETT BRYANT DUICK BRYANT
10 BATTAMS BENNETT COX BENNETT

Education

Bradwell Abbey is described as a priory in Sheahan in 1861.

Founded in c1155 by Manfelin, Lord of the Manor of Wolverton for the black monks dedicated to St Mary. The Abbey estate belongs to the Mercers' Company in 1861, after it was purchased from Lord Dartmouth.

In 1871 the area was 447 acres and two inhabited houses and one uninhabited. There was a population of 10, 6 males and 4 females.

 

 

 

Fenny Stratford

Introduction

Church: St Martin

Hundred: Newport

Poor Law District: Newport Pagnell

Size (acres):

Easting & Northing: 488234

Grid Ref SP880340 Click to see map

Names

Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Fenny Stratford PARISH St Martin
Baptist NON-CONFORMIST Spurgeon Memorial Chapel, Aylesbury Street. First Mentioned: 1800. Built 1805, rebuilt 1892
Weslyan NON-CONFORMIST High St then Albert St. First Mentioned: 1813. Rebuilt 1866

 

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Fenny Stratford   St Martin   Baptisms   1730   1892   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Fenny Stratford   St Martin   Marriages   1576   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Fenny Stratford   St Martin   Burials   1728   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available

 

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 EMERY GIBBS HAMMOND HAMMOND
2 BAMBOWY ROGERS BATES GOODMAN
3 BLAND POOL GOODMAN BATES
4 BANBERY HART SMITH SMITH
5 TOMPKINS ETHERIDGE SOUSTER SOUSTER
6 RICHARDSON NORMAN WHITE KING
7 INNES EDGE KING WHITE
8 FEARY MEAD CLARKE CLARKE
9 CHAPMAN FOX HOLDOM ROGERS
10 PARSONS DAY LUCAS HOLDOM

 

Notes

Extract from the Universal British Directory 1791

Is seated on the rising of a hill; at the bottom of the town runs the river Losield, well supplied with fish, with a large stone bridge over it. The town consists of one principal street, on the West Chester Road, forty-five miles from London, and one cross Street, leading to Aylesbury, which is fixteen miles distant. It is from Leighton Buzzard seven miles, Winslow nine, Stoney Stratford seven, Newport Pagnell seven, and Wooburn five.

This town is in the hamlet of' two parishes; the north side belongs to the parish of Simpson, in which is a seat called Simpson Place, belonging to Sir Thomas Hanmer, Bart, about a mile distance from the town; and the west side belongs to the parish of Bletchley, on which is erected a beautiful chapel of eafe called St. Martin's chapel, built by subcription : the ceiling is ornamented with gentlemens' coats of arms who have subscribed liberally towards the building. St. Martin's day was the day on which this chapel was finished, and on that day yearly a Sermon is preached, and a dinner given to the principal inhabitants of the towa, and the evening spent in mirth, firing of guns, bonfires, etc. Bletchley is a large village about a mile and half distant, at which place is the mother church ; it has a ring of eight bells, is large and elegant, and the chancel is ornamented with draughts of the twelve apostles.


Fenny Stratford has a market on Monday, and four fairs annually, viz. April 19 for cattle, July 18 for toys:, and October 10 and November 28 for cattle.


The chief manufacture of the town and neighbourhood is white bone lace. The soil is excellent for all sorts of grain; and there are some very rich grazing pastures in the neighbourhood.


The post goes out every evening about eleven o'clock, and returns the next morning at three.

 

Description

Description of Fenny Stratford from J. J. Sheahan, 1861.

This place was originally a hamlet and chapelry in the parish of Bletchley; but now it appears to posses all the rights of an independent parish. According to local estimation the parish contains 941 acres. The population in 1851 was 1,140. A portion of the town of Fenny Stratford belongs to the parish of Simpson, and is about 1.5 mile distant from the church of that parish. The soil is gravel on a basis of clay. The parish is intersected by the main line of the London and North-Western Railway, the Bedford branch of the same railway, the Grand Union Canal, and the river Ousel or Lovat.

The town is situated 7 miles S.E. from Stony Stratford, 13.5 from Buckingham, and 44 N.W. from London. The Bletchley Junction Railway Station, which is in this parish, is distant about 1 mile; and close to the town is the Fenny Stratford Station, on the branch line from Bletchley to Bedford. The latter line was opened in 1847.

 

Haversham

Introduction

Church: St Mary

Hundred: Newport

Poor Law District: Newport Pagnell

Size (acres): 1634

Easting & Northing: 482243

Grid Ref SP820430 Click to see map

Names

Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Haversham PARISH St Mary
Harsham NAMES name of Haversham in 1542
Haversham vulgo Hasome NAMES name of Haversham in 1675
Havresham NAMES name for Haversham in Domesday Book 1086

 

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 223
1811 256
1821 289
1831 313
1841 283
1851 280
1861 288
1871 262
1881 237
1891 224
1901 200
1911 185
1921 182
1931 164
1941 N/A
1951 714
1961 795
1971 801
1981 908
1991 883

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Haversham   St Mary   Baptisms   1575   1907   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
Haversham   St Mary   Marriages   1575   1923   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
Haversham   St Mary   Burials   1575   1936   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here

 

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 CARTER CLARKE CLARKE CLARKE
2 NEWMAN VIALS HOLLIS HOLLIS
3 POULTER ATTERBURY GREAVES GREAVES
4 MARRIOTT ROBERTS RATLEY RATLEY
5 BREWER SAVAGE GASKINS GASKINS
6 PERRY CLARK NEAL NEAL
7 COOPER RATLEY TILLEY TILLEY
8 TEBBE BONHAM BAVINGTON BAVINGTON
9 SAVAGE NORMAN SURRIDGE SURRIDGE
10 GREENE DEWICK NEALE HAINES

 

Education

Haversham Parish (Pop. 313)

One Sunday School, in which about 40 children of both sexes receive gratuitous instruction

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.

Castlethorpe

Introduction

Church: St Simon and St Jude

Hundred: Newport

Poor Law District: Newport Pagnell

Size (acres): 1372

Easting & Northing: 479244

Grid Ref SP790440 Click to see map

 

Names

Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Castlethorpe PARISH St Simon and St Jude
Thrupp NAMES name for Thorpe in 1616
Weslyan NON-CONFORMIST First Mentioned: 1841. Restored 1888

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 260
1811 242
1821 348
1831 366
1841 365
1851 346
1861 338
1871 366
1881 329
1891 441
1901 539
1911 514
1921 463
1931 461
1941 N/A
1951 501
1961 492
1971 530
1981 721
1991 671

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Castlethorpe   St Simon & St Jude   Baptisms   1562   1912   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Castlethorpe   St Simon & St Jude   Marriages   1563   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Castlethorpe   St Simon & St Jude   Burials   1562   1903   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 PARRAT NICHOLS COWLEY NICHOLS
2 PARRATT PANTER NICHOLS COWLEY
3 EARLE NICHOLLS HARRIS PANTER
4 DENTON CHURCHILL PANTER HARRIS
5 JOHNSON HARRIS COMPTON NICHOLLS
6 COLLISON KITELEE NICHOLLS PARRAT
7 PANTER JOHNSON RAINBOW TOOTH
8 WARREN NEWBERRY TOOTH RAINBOW
9 TRAVELL PARROTT GREGORY DENNY
10 MILLS PARROT GOSTELOW JOHNSON

 

Description

Description of Castlethorpe Parish from J. J. Sheahan in 1861.

 Castlethorpe parish is separated from Northamptonshire, on the west, by the Towe rivulet; and is bounded on the south by the Ouse. Its area is 1,380 acres; population, 346; rateable value, £4,198. It is intersected by the London and North Western Railway. The soil is chiefly a rich loamy clay, and there is an abundance of limestone. Castlethorpe was formerly was formerly a chapelry to Hanslope, but in modern times it became, in secular matters, a distinct parish. The place derives its name from the ancient Castle of the Barony of Hanslape or Hanslope, which stood here.

The village is neat and compact, and lies 3 miles N.N.E. from Stony Stratford, and 3 miles N. from the Wolverton Station, on the above mentioned railway.

The Castle stood near the village, and was the seat of the Manduits: its site exhibits traces of very extensive buildings.

 

Notes

Castlethorpe is one of the most northern villages of Buckinghamshire. It is bounded in the west by the river Tove which separates it from the Northamptonshire village of Cosgrove. It is intersected by the main railway line between London and the north of England. At one time Castlethorpe was part of Hanslope and a large and impressive earthwork of the motte and bailey castle is reputed to be Hanslope Castle. The castle was the seat of the Manduit family and has had a chequered career.

The church of St Simon and St Jude stands within the fortifications of the castle and parts of the church date back to Norman times. Over the centuries considerable alterations have taken place within the church. At one time there was a west gallery in the church which was known by the congregation as the 'fishes pew'. It was occupied by the Eel, the Pike and the Whiting families.

In 1905 a spark from a passing train set fire to houses in North Street having 'jumped over' the houses in South Street. The women and children were given hospitality by neighbours and the men were allocated the waiting room in the railway station. This was the second spark since the turn of the century to cause fire in the village. Most of the menfolk worked either in Wolverton railway works or on the land, but as the century has moved on so have the occupations. In spite of the fact that the railway station was closed in the 1960s Castlethorpe is now quite a 'commuter village'. Farming still plays a large part in the village life.

Article written by members of the Buckinghamshire Federation of Women's Institutes for the publication "The Buckinghamshire Village Book" (1987) and reproduced here with their permission

Education

Castlethorpe Parish (Pop. 366)

One Sunday School, consisting of about 25 children; the master is allowed 1 s. 6d. a week by the parish.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.

Emberton

Introduction

Church: All Saints

Hundred: Newport

Poor Law District: Newport Pagnell

Size (acres): 2364

Easting & Northing: 488249

Grid Ref SP880490 Click to see map

Names

Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Emberton PARISH All Saints
Ambretone NAMES name for Emberton in Domesday Book in 1086
Ambritone NAMES name for Emberton in Domesday Book in 1086
Hollingdon field NAMES name for Hollington Wood in 1639
Hollingdonslade NAMES name for Hollington Wood in 1694
Primitive Methodist NON-CONFORMIST First Mentioned: ?. Recorded in 1851 religious census
Hollington Wood PLACE within the parish
Mulducks PLACE within the parish

 

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 549
1811 541
1821 549
1831 598
1841 658
1851 613
1861 632
1871 637
1881 653
1891 526
1901 510
1911 458
1921 410
1931 399
1941 N/A
1951 409
1961 465
1971 501
1981 552
1991 564

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Emberton   All Saints   Baptisms   1659   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Emberton   All Saints   Marriages   1591   1902   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Emberton   All Saints   Burials   1673   1902   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available

 

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 PAGE PAGE SHARP WRIGHT
2 WRIGHT WRIGHT WRIGHT SHARP
3 COOPER HALE WEST WEST
4 SMITH CLARK WILSON COOPER
5 HARDWICK COOPER RICHARDSON PAGE
6 SCALDWELL SCALDWELL COOPER WILSON
7 QUICK SMITH CAVES RICHARDSON
8 PURNEY HARDWICK HOWSON HALE
9 MARSHALL TURLAND MINARD HOWSON
10 GOODWYN HULL LETT CAVES

Notes

The village of Emberton in north Buckinghamshire lies on the southern edge of the wide, lush water meadows through which the Great Ouse winds. The old coach road from Newport Pagnell used to swing between its fine stone houses and past its clock tower before setting off across the causeway and bridge into Olney.

Today, rescued by a by-pass, the village seems to the casual visitor a quiet and tranquil place, the clock tower still providing the focal point and parts of the ancient high street shaded with magnificent chestnuts, copper beeches and sycamores. But the quiet is deceptive. Though the number of its working farms has dwindled and lace making is now a hobby instead of an industry, Emberton is underneath humming with activity.

From what archaeologists have discovered there has been a settlement at Emberton from Roman times or earlier. The original form of the name was Eanbeorht's Tun, the word 'tun' meaning a farm. So possibly a Saxon of that name after crossing the North Sea, travelled up the Ouse until he found this good defensive position slightly raised above the flood plain of the river. The Norman conqueror divided Ambreton, as it became known at one point, between the Bishop of Coutance and Judith, Countess of Huntingdon and from then on its manor was held by various great local families until it came into the hands of the Tyringhams.

For as long as there have been records the village seems to have remained remarkably stable. Strangely enough the continuity did not come through the big houses but through the cottages. Names of Emberton people well known today such as Lett, Howson, West, Mynard and Lovell go far, far back.
Emberton has always been dominated by farming and remnants of the great ridge and furrow fields that surrounded the village before it was enclosed in 1798-9 can still be seen. The oldest villagers living today can still remember when seven farms employed the local men and when the main street was pitted and potholed with dust rising in clouds as herds of cattle were driven through night and morning.

At the south end of the village on a piece of rising ground stands the church of All Saints. It was built in the second half of the 14th century but considerably restored in Victorian times. The chancel is said to contain the mortal remains of Sir Everard Digby of nearby Gayhurst, famed for his part in the Gunpowder Plot.

It was the Rev Thomas Fry who gave the village its central focus today. Just below the church, where the High Street curves sharply, he built a clock tower in 1846 which he named 'Margaret's Tower' in memory of his second wife (he had three altogether). It replaced an old elm surrounded by a stone wall. The site had traditionally been known as Emberton Cross, indicating that a preaching cross once stood there. Today, the clock still keeps excellent time. The British Legion lay their poppies beneath its war memorial and the more robust members of the community dance round it on New Years Eve.
Probably the most dramatic development in recent times took place in 1964, not in the village itself but on its outskirts. Just before the bridge crosses the Ouse into Olney were fields rich with gravel. When the construction of the MI began, these fields were heavily quarried and left as an eyesore. But two members of Newport Pagnell Rural District Council under whose authority Emberton then came, had a wonderful idea. They turned the scarred landscape into a huge country park with wildlife reserves, reed fringed lakes and open waters for sailing. So successful was Emberton Park that it won a Countryside award.

Article written by members of the Buckinghamshire Federation of Women's Institutes for the publication "The Buckinghamshire Village Book" (1987) and reproduced here with their permission


Notes

Emberton is a small village situated in the north of the county, one and a half miles from Olney, with a square Clock Tower standing in the centre, in which a bell was tolled to call to the men working in the fields.
There was until recently a blacksmith's forge-always very busy shoeing horses for hunting, working on farms and drawing traps. A four-wheeled 'fly', driven by Arther Brown, met all trains arriving at Olney Station—now closed.

Cattle were taken on foot by drovers to markets at Bedford, Northampton and Wellingborough, and any cattle found straying were put into 'the pound', a field attached to Manor Farm, until claimed, a small charge being made.
Near the forge was the village pump where women filled their buckets for a day's supply. It was never known to go dry.

A horse show was held annually on Bank holiday in one of the farm's fields.
At Emberton Feast and other holiday occasions Morris Dancers danced around the Tower—afterwards taking refreshment at the Bell or the Bear Inn (now gone). Sports were held for children and grown-ups and a meat tea was provided in the Dutch barn. School children danced round the maypole.
In the winter a Plum Pudding Party was held in the village schoolroom—when plum puddings boiled in many of the surrounding cottages were served— everyone holding a hot plate in readiness.

On Sundays people carried their dinner to be cooked at the village bakehouse, the meat in a baking tin covered with a cloth and Yorkshire pudding batter in a jug or can, and at 'drawing time' would be seen hurrying home with it all ready to eat.

Across the River Ouse is Weston Underwood where the poet Cowper sat in his summer-house in The Wilderness writing his poems and where in the spring is to be seen a carpet of snowdrops.

A. Fairey, Emberton

Emberton where I was born in 1892 has always seemed a happy, friendly village, partly owing to the lasting influence of my grandparents, parents and cousin who lived and served in the Old Rectory for nearly a hundred years. My parents regularly visited every house and cottage, my mother with the shawl which she knitted for each new baby, while my father had his sticky pockets stuffed with almond toffee and peppermints for the children.

We always kept huge dogs, Great Danes and Russian Wolfhounds.
Our front gate was always open and the villagers allowed to walk through the garden and use our field for picnics.

The lovely church was nearly always full, extra chairs being needed for Christmas and Harvest festivals, and the six bellringers and our churchyard were the pride of the countryside. Most of the stained-glass windows were put in to the memory of my grandparents and uncles; Grandmamma's is dedicated to 'Faith, Hope and Charity'. Poor thing, she must have needed all three with thirteen children on £250 a year, but they all grew up hale and hearty.

Seventy years ago in Emberton the roads were terrible, covered with small stones and needing the constant use of steamrollers which terrified our horses.
The climate was quite different. For months there was hot sunshine and all meals were taken at a long table under the big plane trees, but the winters were bitter and we skated for days on the river and flooded fields between Weston and the Olney road.

We made our own pleasure, and as the families varied from seven of us to thirteen children at both Filgrave and Clifton rectories, it was easy to collect two teams for hockey and cricket matches and every big house had its own tennis court. My elder sisters were renowned for arranging plays and concerts which meant three months' hard work, and one sister spent chilly hours in the cellar painting scenery. Twice a week twenty lucky children came to learn choruses for flowers and fairies and were quite contented with two sweets at the end.
We also taught country dancing and took parties of boys and girls to Tyringham and Gayhurst in fancy dress. One of our plays was A Pageant of the Queens, acted by twenty WI members, beginning with the poisoning of Queen Boadicea and ending with the Queen Mother. No one was anxious to be Bloody Mary so I borrowed a ruby velvet frock and leapt delightedly into my three-minute scene set to music in which I was signing a Death Warrant. My brother wrote an appropriate verse for each Queen which we sent to Buckingham Palace and in three days we had a charming letter from Lady Delia Peel, telling us that the Queen Mother had thoroughly enjoyed reading, them.

We could usually count on at least four dances at Christmas at Tyringham, Crawley Grange and Gayhurst and the satin or silk long dresses, sometimes sparkling with silver sequins, low necks—but not too low—and white kid gloves to the shoulders were so very pretty. We had pale pink or blue programmes with pencils danging on matching silk to write in partners' names, but to have the same partner more than three times was considered highly improper. The sequined, handpainted and feathered fans were enchanting, and there was great variety in the dances: waltzes, polkas, Washington Post, Pas de Quatres and the Lancers in which one was invariably swung off -one's feet.

The river too was a great joy, as we had a large boat called the 'Old Aunt Jane' in which we rowed up to an island near Filgrave and built a fire to boil the kettle. I dreaded going under Olney bridge towards the mill because the great wheel threatened to drag us down and grind us to bits.

Sidney Sams, Emberton


Extracted from 'A Pattern Hundreds' (1975) and reproduced with the kind permission of the Buckinghamshire Federation of Women's Institutes

Description

Description of Emberton from J. J. Sheahan, 1861.

 Emberton parish, including Okney-cum-Petsoe, contains 1,860 acres, and 613 souls. The rateable value is £2,412. Stone of good quality is found here in abundance, and, at a greater depth, some excellent freestone. The village, a very neat and compact one, contains several genteel residences. It skirts the high road between Newport Pagnell and Olney, 1.5 mile S. of the latter town, and 4 miles N of the former. The road between Emberton and Olney is through the pleasant valley of the Ouse, and the parishes are connected by a very long bridge over that river, and the low marshy track bordering upon it. About the centre of the village is a square clock-tower which was erected by subscription in 1845. The clock and bell were the gift of Miss Hughes, of Emberton. The tower is protected by an iron palisading.

The Rectory House, an ancient building stands a little north of the Church. The school, which is situated in the centre of the village, is attended daily by about 50 children.

 

Education

Emberton with Okeney-cum-Petsoe Parish (Pop. 598)

One Day and Sunday School, attended by 70 children of both sexes daily, and 30 in addition on Sundays; supported by voluntary contributions, and has a lending Library.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.

Great Linford

Introduction

Church: St Andrew

Hundred: Newport

Poor Law District: Newport Pagnell

Size (acres): 1836

Easting & Northing: 485242

Grid Ref SP850420 Click to see map

 

Names

Places

NameTypeNote
Great Linford PARISH St Andrew
Lenford NAMES name for Linford in 1561
Lidforth NAMES name for Linford in 1542
Linforde NAMES name for Linford in Domesday Book in 1086
Lyndford NAMES name for Linford in 1560
Congregational NON-CONFORMIST First Mentioned: 1810. Rebuilt 1833
Marsh (Farm) PLACE within the parish

 

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 313
1811 376
1821 408
1831 420
1841 474
1851 486
1861 557
1871 468
1881 437
1891 481
1901 478
1911 577
1921 520
1931 422
1941 N/A
1951 366
1961 283
1971 263
1981 9665
1991 18767

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Great Linford   St Andrew   Baptisms   1653   1882   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Great Linford   St Andrew   Marriages   1601   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Great Linford   St Andrew   Burials   1653   1910   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available

 

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 KENT GUNN MAPLEY MAPLEY
2 HARRIS HOBBS ELLIOTT ELLIOTT
3 SMITH RAWLINS WALTERS WALTERS
4 HOLLIDAY PINKARD KEMP KEMP
5 MALYNS COX RILEY RILEY
6 FOUNTAYNE COOK CONQUEST CONQUEST
7 DUDLEY WARD REYNOLDS BARKER
8 NICHOLLS WALKER BIRD NICHOLLS
9 MULSO KNIGHT BARKER BIRD
10 MALINS LEACH NICHOLLS REYNOLDS

Notes

Great Linford village, with its 12th century church and 17th century manor house, is now part of the new city of Milton Keynes, but still retains its village atmosphere.

The original village green remains, also a cricket pitch and several landscaped areas, all linked by the redways (pedestrian and cyclist paths) and bridleways, surrounded by trees, shrubs and great banks of roses.

The village church is of great interest. Apparently there was a chapel at Linford, on this site, in 1151. The church tower is 12th century with various additions and alterations since. The 17th century manor house was formerly owned by the Pritchard family. Sir William was a Lord Mayor of London and he also built the almshouses which are very attractive and now house various offices. The manor is now owned by Milton Keynes Development Association and has been used as an arts centre. Some of the manor out-buildings have been converted into a community workshop and a hall where various activities and functions take place.

Linford Lodge Hotel and riding stables also remain as part of the original village, now surrounded by new houses, and serve the community as hotel and a centre for young and old to learn to ride on the many paths in the locality.

The canal runs to the north of Great Linford. It is quite widely used by barges, canal buses, the fishermen and busy families of moorhens. The towpaths have been cleared and it is pleasant to walk along them.

It is hard to believe that this lovely village is within a ten minute ride of the biggest indoor shopping centre in England at Milton Keynes.

Article written by members of the Buckinghamshire Federation of Women's Institutes for the publication "The Buckinghamshire Village Book" (1987) and reproduced here with their permission.

Description

Description of Great Linford from J Sheahan, 1861.

The area of the parish of Great Lindford, or Lindford Magna, is 1787 acres; population, 486; rateable value, £2,677. The river Ouse divides it from Little Lindford; and it is probable that these places derived their name from a ford over that river, which might have borne the name of Lin. The Grand Junction has a course of about three miles through the parish, with three bridges over it. This includes the Newport Pagnell branch of that canal.
The Village, is compact and neat, and distant about 2 miles W.S.W. from Newport Pagnell, and 2.5 miles E. from the Wolverton Station of the London and North Western Railway. Many of the females are employed in making bobbin lace. The parish was inclosed about 1658.
The Living is a Rectory, valued in the King's Books at £20 0. 2.5d. The tithes have been commuted for an annual rent-charge of £400, and there are 27.5 acres of glebe land. The patronage is vested in the Lord of the Manor, and the Rev. Francis Litchfield is the present Rector; but being non-resident the parochial duty is performed by a Curate, the Rev. J Webb. The advowson has always been appendant to the manor.

Education

Great Linford Parish (Pop. 420)

One Infant School, consisting of 5 males and 5 females, who are paid for by their parents.
One Daily School, containing from 10 to 30 males, endowed with £10 per annum and a house for the master, rent free.

One Sunday School, with 50 males and 31 females; supported by subscription.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.

Additional information