Gayhurst

Description

Description of Gayhurst from Sheahan, 1861.

The parish of Gayhurst contains 840 acres, and 88 inhabitants, according to the census return of 1851; but by local estimation the area is 990 acres, including 156 acres of woodland in the higher grounds. Rateable value £1,350. The soil, for the greater part, is a strong clay of loam, resting on a substratum of lime. The parish was inclosed in 1710, by private agreement amongst the inhabitants.

The village, which is small and neat, is situated on the turnpike road from Newport Pagnell to Northampton, and in the rich and beautiful valley of the Ouse, 2.5 miles N.W. from Newport, and 4 miles W. from Olney. Near the village the river divides the parishes of Gayhurst and Tyringham.

Education

Gayhurst Parish, with Gorbfields, Extra Par. (Pop. 118)

The children attend Sunday Schools in adjoining parishes.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.