Great Woolstone

Introduction

Church: Holy Trinity

Hundred: Newport

Poor Law District: Newport Pagnell

Size (acres): 514

Easting & Northing: 487238

Grid Ref SP870380 Click to see map

Names

Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Great Woolstone PARISH Holy Trinity
Ulsiestone NAMES name for Woolstone in Domesday Book in 1086
Wooston NAMES name for Woolstone in 1586
Wulston NAMES name for Woolstone in 1526

 

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 113
1811 116
1821 108
1831 120
1841 94
1851 72
1861 71
1871 84
1881 81
1891 80
1901 45
1911 33
1921 39
1931 52
1941 N/A
1951 141
1961 151
1971 143
1981 5441
1991 11484

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Great Woolstone   Holy Trinity   Baptisms   1538   1900   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Great Woolstone   Holy Trinity   Marriages   1561   1903   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Great Woolstone   Holy Trinity   Burials   1561   1971   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available

 

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 DUDLEY GOODMAN GOODMAN DUDLEY
2 CHEVALL ODELL LEE GOODMAN
3 ORRIS COOK ROGERS LEE
4 GILPIN ROBINSON WEBB ROGERS
5 CHADD DUDLEY MAJOR CHADD
6 PUTTNAM CRICK SMITH WEBB
7 CHEVALE CHADD ABRAHAM CHEVALL
8 CHAD PING DYTHAM GILPIN
9 GLOVER GILPIN CASHMORE SMITH
10 BLOUD OSBORN MARKHAM COOK

Description

Description of Great Woolstone, from J. J. Sheahan, 1861.

The parish of Great Woolston, or Woolston Magna, contains but 760 acres, and about 90 inhabitants. It is bounded by the Ousel rivulet The soil is clayey. The Grand Junction Canal runs through the parish. The two small villages of Great and Little Woolston are situated very near each other, on the road from Fenny Stratford to Newport Pagnell. Great Woolston, Woolstone, or Wolston, is distant 3.25 miles S. from Newport Pagnell, and 3 miles N. of Fenny Stratford. Lace is made here.

The capital Manor here is now held by W.S. Lowndes, Esq., of Whaddon, to whom a small annual quit-rent is payable. The trustees of --- Westcar, Esq., (a minor), and --- Bolding, Esq., of London, are the owners of the two farms into which nearly all the parish is divided.

The Church (Holy Trinity) is a small edifice with a bell-cote on the west gable, in which hangs one bell. It was rebuilt about twenty-five years ago by the parish, at a cost of about £1,100, and consists of a body or nave, small chancel, and south porch. The interior is neatly fitted-up with pews and open seats. The lectern, which is of oak, is finely carved to represent an eagle. The font is of Norman design, and was bought here from the ancient church of St Cuthbert, in the town of Bedford.
The rectory house, a handsome residence in the Elizabethan style of architecture, is situated near the church, and was built about seven years ago, at a cost of about £800. It is of red brick with a high pitched roof, and on the gable end is a cross of beautiful design.

Education

Great Woolstone Parish (Pop. 120)

One Sunday School (commenced 1833), with about 30 children of both sexes, supported by voluntary contributions.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.

Additional information