Church: All Saints

Hundred: Newport

Poor Law District: Newport Pagnell

Size (acres): 1536

Easting & Northing: 483237

Grid Ref SP830370 Click to see map


Names & Places

Loughton PARISH All Saints
Lochintone NAMES name for Loughton in Domesday in 1086
Lowton NAMES name for Loughton in 1512
Baptist NON-CONFORMIST First Mentioned: 1832



Roll of Honour - War Memorial Roll of Honour - War Memorial
The Story of Loughton National School(S The Story of Loughton National School(School Project)
Church Stained Glass Church Stained Glass
Search The National Archives for Loughton Search The National Archives for Loughton
Buckinghamshire Remembers Buckinghamshire Remembers
Church Stained Glass Church Stained Glass



Photographs in our Gallery Photographs in our Gallery

These links will take you to external websites which will open in a new browser window. Bucks FHS is not responsible for nor has any control over the content of these sites. If any of these links do not work please let us know. It would be helpful if you could say which parish you were viewing and the name of the link which is broken.



These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

1801 302
1811 288
1821 293
1831 325
1841 361
1851 335
1861 386
1871 359
1881 324
1891 348
1901 371
1911 359
1921 360
1931 363
1941 N/A
1951 366
1961 402
1971 523
1981 622
1991 4734

There was no census in 1941.



Parish  Church  Register  Start
Loughton   All Saints   Baptisms   1707   1886   Yes,
click here
click here
Not available
Loughton   All Saints   Marriages   1575   1901   Yes,
click here
click here
Not available
Loughton   All Saints   Burials   1705   1916   Yes,
click here
click here
Not available



These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  



Change, rapid and irrevocable, is the potent force at work in Loughton now. Change, wrought by Milton Keynes new city. Change, starkly symbolized as never before by contrast between old and new: between the soft, golden, resolute tower of All Saints Church standing tall on its knoll overlooking Loughton Valley, and the intrusive, uncompromising, right-angled, mirror-spangled architecture, of Milton Keynes' new railway station a little way off. Doubtless the lovely 13 th century church and the valley which has echoed to the footfall of prehistoric man and the march of invading tribes from Europe will have witnessed many changes throughout its long history. But the rapidity and finality of the present onslaught is a change in itself and can never have been equalled.

Memories persist, however, gifts from the past to reassure us of continuity. Customs, events, tall tales of notable characters and old ways of life, handed down the generations, some even immortalised in local features. Pitcher Lane, for example, with a well still extant; the water now used to irrigate local allotments. Along this ancient lane the denizens trooped to draw their water. A drudgery at the best of times, but sheer hell in winter, some small compensation perhaps drawn from a bath afterwards, before an open fire. The lane has changed, of course, many ancient dwellings have been demolished. But the emotive name lives on and one of Loughton's handsomest old houses, Becket House, the Old Rectory still stands there. Now a private dwelling, it was built in 1868 to replace an earlier rectory and in its turn has been replaced by a modern house. Surviving too, in quaint irony are some two-up — two-down cottages of meaner stamp, built for labourers, but which are now considered bargains at around £40,000 by city buyers seeking a better way of life.

Some older buildings of the village have been lovingly restored and converted. The old school makes a good example. Saved from demolition, it has been converted into a most attractive dwelling, and stands a monument to its owner's inspiration, and the determination of the village to educate its young.

Records of this determination reach back to 1848, before the school was built. Two rooms of Elm House, a Georgian Mansion, were allotted to this purpose. The records give us some essence of village life in Victorian and Edwardian times. Records of absences for legitimate reasons: infectious diseases, flood or snow-blocked roads, contrast with: bean-sticking, stone-picking, gleaning and the inability to pay the two penny weekly fee. There were also half-day holidays for religious and traditional festivals.
Of notable characters Charlotte Gregory must be worthy of mention. A skilled Victorian lacemaker, Charlotte worked well into her nineties. Her claim to fame, however, lay in her habit of clay-pipe smoking and her ability to expectorate her consequent pulmonary congestion with unerring accuracy from workspace to fire. It is said folk walked miles to marvel at the spectacle.

From Victorian times technological progress began to bite, accelerating through Edwardian years to radically alter rural activity. Jack Dolling, now retired, left a childhood baptised by the Brad'l Brook to enter a manhood of hard graft on the farm among beloved horses. His reaction to the. first tractor in 1924 is unprintable! There are still horses in the village, however, at a thriving equestrian centre, catering for leisure and pleasure.
Jack also remembers the first bus. Here we can reflect on changing attitudes, for these early travellers thought nothing of alighting to enable the bus to negotiate the steep rise to the canal bridge at New Bradwell, and weekend revellers would disembark • at a 'chippy' on the outward foray, to place orders for collection on the return. Try that on a modern city bus and see how far you get.

Loughton's oldest resident, Ethel Rose Foxely, remembers vividly the drudgery of the labour of her youth, matched by the uniformity of dress and pattern of life of the poor. The women wore black dresses with white aprons and worked afield, made lace, or walked to Bletchley to launder, for a pittance. A hard rural existence underpinned by well-stocked gardens and allotments, and a 'pig in the cot' to supply the table. The staple diet was the 'Buckinghamshire Clanger', boiled in a pot with the vegetables. This life has gone forever now, and perhaps we should be glad, but cold fingers of nostalgia will inevitably creep around the hearts of sensitive observers contemplating fields where foxes once barked and pheasants scurried, falling inexorably beneath the advance of the neat brick boxes, being marshalled along the new estate road that straddles the link with the old A5. At the sight too of the two old 'spit and sawdust' pubs on that ancient highway mercilessly shot up-market and where the ploughman no longer calls when wending his weary way homeward.

But in spring the high banks of Pitcher Lane will still bustle and bob with flowers, and yet offer a modicum of shelter from the blast of winter. Although the population is about to explode, the heart of the village will still beat for those who want to hear. There will still be some continuity for those who wish to feel it.

Article written by members of the Buckinghamshire Federation of Women's Institutes for the publication "The Buckinghamshire Village Book" (1987) and reproduced here with their permission


Description of Loughton from Sheahan, 1861.

The area of Loughton is 1,620 acres, according to the Parliamentary Report; but by local estimation it is but 1,443 acres. Population, 335 souls. The rateable value is £4,874. The London and North-Western Railway passes through the parish in a straight direction for 2 miles and 66 yards. The soil is chiefly a strong clay, with a substratum of limestone, and the surface is gently undulated.

The village is scattered, and lies to the N.E. of the Fenny Stratford and Stony Stratford Road (the Roman Watling Street), which divides the parishes of Loughton and Shenley, about 3.5 miles N.N.W. from Fenny Stratford, and S.W. from Newport Pagnell. Fifty or sixty persons are employed in making pillow lace. There is a reputed Chalybeate Well here.

Loughton anciently consisted of two parishes and two manors, each having its respective church and distinct possessors, rectors, and patrons, under the denomination of Great and Little Loughton. The union of the two parishes, and their ecclesiastical consolidation, took place in the reign of King Henry IV. in 1408. Great Loughton was that part of the parish which lies westward of the brook that runs through the place in its course to the river Ouse.

The present Lord of the Manor is Henry Billington Whitworth, Esq., of Northampton, who inherited a moiety of it under the will of his father, who died in 1832. In 1851 he purchased the other moiety from his brother, Mr. Robert Whitworth, of London. Mr Whitworth had previously (in 1848) purchased a farm in Loughton, of the devisees of the late James Hill, Esq. The other principle landowners in the parish are the Rector, in right of his church, and the Trustees of a Charity in Stony Stratford.

The Manor House, situated on the Green, is now a farm-house. A short distance from it human bones have been dug up on the site of Little Loughton Church, which was pulled down four centuries ago, when the south aisle was added to the present church.

The living is a Rectory in the patronage of Trinity College, Cambridge, to which the Society, Francis Crane, Esq., (a Fellow of the College) gave the advowson in 1678. The Rectory is rated in the Liber Regis at £14 5s. 2.5d., and is now worth £250 a year. The tithes were commuted for land at the inclosure of the parish in 1769. There are about 276 acres of glebe land. The present Rector is the Rev. John Athawes.

Philip Young, D.D., instituted to this Rectory in 1752, became successively Orator of the University of Cambridge, Master of Jesus College, Prebendary of Westminster, Canon Residentiary of St. Paul’s, and Bishop of Bristol.

Ever since the inclosure of the parish the tenant of the Glebe Farm has occupied the Glebe or Rectory House. The Rectory resides in a large commodious house of stone, situated in pleasant grounds, near the church. This building, which is in the form of the letter H, appears to be pf the time of Queen Anne, and there is a local tradition that is was built by the family of the Hanslops of Hanslaps.

There is a Baptist Chapel, a small brick building. The National School was founded by the present Rector, who as devoted a cottage to its use. About 60 children attend.

The “Town Land” is the bequest of the Rev. Hugh Parke, Rector of this parish, who died in 1514. It now consists of about 10 acres which let for £25 a year. About two more of this charity land has been sold to the Railway Company. William Bynyon of Loughton, by his will, in 1721, bequeathed a yearly rent-charge of £5 for apprenticing poor boys of this parish.


Loughton Parish (Pop. 325)

One Sunday School, with 46 children of both sexes; supported by the clergyman.