Little Woolstone

Description

Description of Little Woolstone from J. J. Sheahan, 1861.

 

The area of Little Woolston or Woolston Prava, is 613 acres, of the rateable value of £672. Population about 100. The soil is a staff clay. The parish adjoins that of Great Woolston. The village is small and lies 3 miles S. of Newport Pagnell, and 3.5 miles N. from Fenny Stratford. The females and children make pillow lace.

On the banks of the Ousel stands an ancient water mill and dwelling house, in the occupation of Mr. James Perkins. There are, what looks like faint traces of a moat, around them; also indications of fish ponds.

The Living is a rectory, united with Great Woolston. It is valued in the King’s Books at £8 6s. 1d. The Church (Holy Trinity) is a small plain building, repaired in 1837 at a cost of £200 raised by a rate. There are three bells in a very unsightly wood turret, and the roofs are tiled. Over the door of the south porch are two niches, and a portion of the old stoupe for holy-water is plainly discernable. The interior of the church is divided into a body and chancel. The former is lighted by four good mullioned windows of three lights each, in the Decorated style of architecture. One of them (that at the west end) contains a few fragments of old stained glass. The chancel-arch is pointed and supported by columns, with plain mouldings. The ceilings are of plaster, and plain; the pulpit, reading desk, and pews, are of deal, painted oak colour; and the font is sculptured. The chancel is about to be rebuilt.

Little Woolston parish participates in Chapman’s Charity (Ravenstone). When the parish was inclosed one of the allotments awarded to the then owner of one of the estates, was charged with an annual payment of £5 5s. for fuel for the poor, in lieu of the common rights they formerly enjoyed. An annual rent-charge of £1 11s. 6d. is chargeable upon the estate belonging to Mr. Smith, by the award of the Commissioners of Incloseure, in liew of certain small pieces of land in the open fields which belonged to the church. This rest charge is carried to the churchwardens’ account.

Education

Little Woolstone Parish (Pop. 124)

No School in the parish.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.