Notes on Horsendon

Description

Description of Horsendon from Sheahan, 1861.

The parish of Horsendon contains only 517 acres; population 45; rateable value, £669. The soil is chiefly chalk with sharp flint, but in some parts it is a heavy loam on a rag subsoil. The Icknield Way crosses the parish from east to west. The village is very small and stands in a hollow surrounded by lofty trees, 1 mile from Princes Risborough, and 7 miles W. b y N. from Great Missenden.

The Manor house is a large handsome residence rebuilt on the site of the old manor-house, in 1810. A portion of the moat of the original is still perfect. The house is approached on the eastern side by an avenue of trees about quarter of a mile in length, and it is surrounded by nine acres of pleasure and garden ground, in which there is a piece of ornamental water and two cascades. Horsendon House is the seat of the Rev. William Edwards Partridge, Lord of the Manor, Rector of Horsendon, and Vicar of Ilmer.

Education

Horsendon Parish (Pop. 37)

No School in the parish.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.

 

Additional information