Calverton

Description

Description of Calverton from J.J. Sheahan, 1861.

 Calverton contains 1,980 acres and 595 inhabitants. The parish once included the western part of Stony Stratford, which was separated from it by Act of Parliament. Both the surface and the soil are considerably varied, but the latter is chiefly clayey, with limestone and rubble. The limestone abounds with numerous fossil shells, and is quarried for burning into lime for building purposes. The river Ouse skirts the parish on the west, dividing it from Northamptonshire. The rateable value of the of the parish is £2,886.

Calverton adjoins Stony Stratford on the south, the parish church being distant from that town about 1.5 miles to the south. It is in four parts called Calverton End (now a suburb of the town of Stony Stratford), Upper Weald, Lower Weald, and Middle Weald. At Middle Weald are several neat cottages for labourers, in the Gothic style, erected in groups of three each, with stone-cased doorways and windows. The other cottages, as well as the farm-houses in the parish, are mostly mean in appearance, and covered with thatch, except at Calverton End. From Upper Weald the views of the surrounding country are varied and beautiful. The parish of Calverton, and the west side of Stony Stratford were enclosed in 1782.

Education

Calverton Parish (Pop. 425)

One Sunday School, in which 20 children of both sexes are instructed; supported by the clergyman of the parish.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.

 

 

 

Additional information