Sherington

Introduction

Church: St Laud

Hundred: Newport

Poor Law District: Newport Pagnell

Size (acres): 1805

Easting & Northing: 488246

Grid Ref SP880460 Click to see map

Names

Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Sherington PARISH St Laud
Cherryngton NAMES name for Sherington in 1524
Churton NAMES name for Sherington in 1524
Serintone NAMES name for Sherington in Domesday in 1086
Congregational NON-CONFORMIST First Mentioned: 1782. Present building 1822
Quaker NON-CONFORMIST Water Lane. First Mentioned: 1662. Later cottages.

 

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 671
1811 773
1821 796
1831 804
1841 856
1851 826
1861 839
1871 718
1881 604
1891 566
1901 548
1911 496
1921 447
1931 462
1941 N/A
1951 501
1961 549
1971 654
1981 858
1991 926

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Sherington   St Laud   Baptisms   1576   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
Sherington   St Laud   Marriages   1576   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
Sherington   St Laud   Burials   1601   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here

 

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 HOOTON SMITH ROSE SMITH
2 FISHER UMNEY SMITH ROSE
3 KNIGHT JOYCE JOYCE JOYCE
4 GLOVER ROSE WATTS UMNEY
5 SMYTH HOOTON COLEMAN WEST
6 CHIBNALL ROBINSON WEST WATTS
7 WHOTEN CLARE UMNEY COLEMAN
8 SMITH KNIGHT LINE LINE
9 PEARSON COURSE BROOKS BROOKS
10 WALLYS ROGERS BOON HOOTON

 

Description

Description of Sherington, from J.J. Sheahan, 1861.

Sherrington, or Sherington is a parish of 1,780 acres and about 800 inhabitants. Its rateable value is £2,301. The soil is chiefly clay, the the subsoil galt. The village, which is a large one, is situated about 2 miles N. from Newport Pagnell, and 3 miles S. from Olney, and on the road between those two towns. It is divided into two parts – the church, and the greater portion of it being seated on an eminence, the remainder in a hollow. In the latter portion are several good brick houses, some of which are modern date and in the Gothic style; and these impart an air of respectability to this part of the place. Sherrington Bridge, which crosses the Ouse, is a handsome structure of three large and two small arches. The woman and children make pillow-lace in this and the neighbouring parishes. The open fields in Sherrington parish were inclosed under an act passed in 1796.

The Manor House, the property and residence of Alfred Umney, Esq., is a large ancient building, much modernised, and situated at the south-east end of the village.

In the month of June, 1645, a portion of the Parliamentarian army, under Fairfax, are said to have encamped at Sherringham.

The Benefice, which is a Rectory, is valued in the King's Books at £20 0s. 2.5d., and according to the Clergy List, now worth £631 per annum. Patron, the Bishop of the Diocese; Rector, the Rev. Alexander King. Before the reign of King John this church was given by William de Sherrington to the Abbey of St Martin, at Tours, and the Prior and Convent of Tickford ( a Cell to that house) presented to the Rectory.

The Rectory House stands about 400 yards south from the church, and is a large building. It is surrounded by neat gardens and pleasure grounds. The school, situated in Parson's Lane, is a very neat red brick structure. It is supported by the present Rector, and attended by about 40 children. There is a Lending Library here for the working classes, and the books are kept at the school.

The Independent Chapel was erected in 1882, and is a neat edifice of red brick.

Description

From the British Universal Directory 1791

IS fifty-three miles from London, in the turnpike-road leading from Newport-Pagnell to Wellingborough; is noted for bone-lace, and a large manufactory of royal-matting, great quantities of which are sent weekly to London. The lady of the late rector, the Rev. Mr. Barton, left 300I. to pew and beautify the church. A foot post every day, from Newport to Olney, calls at the Kings Head, Sherrington, to bring and receive letters.

Education

Sherrington Parish (Pop. 804)

One Daily School, wherein about 12 children are instructed at the expense of their parents.

Two Sunday Schools, one supported by voluntary contributions, with 60 males and 70 females, who attend the Established Church ; the other appertains to Dissenters, and consists of about 80 children of both, sexes, who are gratuitously instructed.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.

Simpson

Introduction

Church: St Thomas the Apostle

Hundred: Newport

Poor Law District: Newport Pagnell

Size (acres): 1366

Easting & Northing: 488235

Grid Ref SP880350 Click to see map

Names

Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Simpson PARISH St Thomas the Apostle
Sevinstone NAMES name for Simpson in Domesday Book in 1086
Simpton NAMES name for Simpson in 1626
Simston NAMES name for Simpson in 1526
Sympson NAMES name for Simpson in 1674
Methodist NON-CONFORMIST First Mentioned: 1842. Rebuilt 1870

 

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 367
1811 372
1821 395
1831 470
1841 585
1851 540
1861 562
1871 678
1881 737
1891 727
1901 731
1911 624
1921 619
1931 702
1941 N/A
1951 771
1961 N/A
1971 N/A
1981 N/A
1991 N/A

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Simpson   St Thomas the Apostle   Baptisms   1719   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Simpson   St Thomas the Apostle   Marriages   1575   1837   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Simpson   St Thomas the Apostle   Burials   1719   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available

 

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 WOOLHEAD GOODMAN KING GOODMAN
2 HATCH LUCAS HILL LUCAS
3 ODELL NEWMAN SEAR NEWMAN
4 LUCAS COWLEY RANDS SEAR
5 GOODMAN ROBERTS BODLEY KING
6 CHARMAN GIBBS MATTHEWS COWLEY
7 MEADE ETHERIDGE HAZLEWOOD RANDS
8 TAYLOR SEAR LUCAS MATTHEWS
9 FULLER LEE COWLEY HILL
10 CRANWELL MATTHEWS BATES SMITH

 

Description

Description of Simpson, from J.J. Sheahan, 1861.

The area of the parish of Simpson, or Sympson is 1,312 acres; parts of which is included in the town of Fenny Stratford. Rateable value, £3,654. The soil is gravelly, with portions of loamy ground and a clayey subsoil, with abundance of springs. The Grand Junction Canal passes through the parish. The open fields and commons have been inclosed under two Acts of Parliament passed in 1763 and 1770. The village is seated at the foot of a hill, about 1.5 mile N. by E. from Fenny Stratford, 2.5 miles N.E. from Bletchley, and 5 miles S. from Newport Pagnell – on the road between the latter town and Fenny Stratford. Thirty years ago it was, in appearance, one of the most wretched of many miserable villages in the county. During a great portion of the winter time the main road was generally impassable, without wading through water three feet deep, for a distance of about 200 yards. But chiefly through the exertions of Mr. C. Warren, the road has been raised 3.5 feet; and the handsome Villa residence of this gentleman, with its tastefully laid out pleasure grounds, summer-houses, grottoes, rock-work, fountain, fish-pond, etc. sets the place off to great advantage. There are also several other genteel houses here.

The Rectory is in the gift of Sir John Hanmer, and incumbency of the Rev. Thomas Walden Hanmer. It is rated in the Liber Regis at £17 6s. 8d., and is now worth about £350 a year. The tithes have been commuted at the inclosures for for about 225 acres of land. The advowson appears to have been appendant to the manor until Mr. Serjeant Pigott, about 1600, separated the ecclesiastical and temporal estates. The former after passing through many hands, was purchased by Walden Hanmer Esq,. afterwards Sir Walden Hanmer, Bart., who presented to the Rectory in 1761. The present Rector is grandson to Sir Walden Hanmer, and second cousin to the present patron.

The Rectory House is an ancient red brick building near the church. There is a small Methodist Church.

Desscription

Simpson Parish, with part of Fenny Stratford Chapelry (Pop. 470)

Two Daily Schools, containing 20 males and 20 females, who are instructed at the expense of their parents.

One Sunday School, (of the Baptists persuasion) in which 24 children of both sexes receive gratuitous instruction.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.

 

Stantonbury

Introduction

Church: St Peter

Hundred: Newport

Poor Law District: Newport Pagnell

Size (acres): 806

Easting & Northing: 484241

Grid Ref SP840410 Click to see map

Names

Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Stantonbury PARISH St Peter
Stanton(e) NAMES name for Stanonbury in Domesday Book in 1086
Baptist NON-CONFORMIST First Mentioned: 1843
Methodist NON-CONFORMIST First Mentioned: 1863

 

Stoke Goldington

Introduction

Church: St Peter

Hundred: Newport

Poor Law District: Newport Pagnell

Size (acres): 2352

Easting & Northing: 483248

Grid Ref SP830480 Click to see map

Names

Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Stoke Goldington PARISH St Peter
Eakly NAMES name for Eakley Lanes 1693
Ekley NAMES name for Eakley Lanes 1616
Harley NAMES name for Harley Farm 1607
Stoches NAMES name for Stoke Goldington in Domesday Book 1086
Independent NON-CONFORMIST First Mentioned: 1819
Chadwell PLACE within the parish
Harley Field (Fm) PLACE within the parish
Prestwood (Part) PLACE within the parish
Salt Hill (Part) PLACE within the parish
Slough (Part) PLACE within the parish
Stoke Park Wood PLACE within the parish

 

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 636
1811 617
1821 818
1831 912
1841 855
1851 902
1861 963
1871 875
1881 808
1891 767
1901 629
1911 529
1921 455
1931 447
1941 N/A
1951 398
1961 385
1971 431
1981 469
1991 529

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Stoke Goldington   St Peter   Baptisms   1538   1909   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Stoke Goldington   St Peter   Marriages   1538   1906   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Stoke Goldington   St Peter   Burials   1538   1858   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available

 

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 ABRAHAM WARREN WARREN WARREN
2 WRIGHT WRIGHT EDMUNDS WRIGHT
3 WARREN KILPIN DARBY WEST
4 BROWNE WEST HILL KILPIN
5 HOOTON JOHNSON ADAMS ADAMS
6 SPENCER TOMPKINS WALKER HILL
7 RAWLINS OSBORN PALLETT DARBY
8 ADAMS ABRAHAM WHITING WALKER
9 GADSDON SMITH WEST EDMUNDS
10 JOHNSON TAME GREEN GREEN

 

Description

Description of Stoke Goldington, from J.J. Sheahan, 1861.

Stoke Goldington, including the hamlet of Eakley Lanes, contains 2,061 acres, and about 900 inhabitants. Rateable value, £2,749. The parish is bounded on the east by the river Ouse, and on the north and west by Northamptonshire. Lipscomb writes:- “The soil is a strong clay, with a portion of mould, as it is here turned, or rich loam, with strata of limestone near the surface; and gravel in those parts which border the Ouse, and the clay intermixed. Abundance of oyster-shells are found in the arable land; and it is remarkable that none of them are flat, but all nearly of similar shape, with so deep convexity, that when two are found united, they are frequently almost spherical. On the north of the village is a Roman Road, on which is a steep ascent, called Augur's, or Orgar's Hill.

The village is large and compact, and is seated in a hollow, 4.5 miles W.S.W. from Olney, and 4.5 miles N.W. from Newport Pagnell in the road from the latter town to Northampton.

Eakley Lanes is said to have formerly been a distinct parish, and had a chapel which was served once a month. There are two manors or reputed manors here.

Education

Stoke Goldington Parish (Pop. 912)

Two Infant Schools, with about 14 children of both sexes, and One Daily School with 12 males ; the whole receiving instruction at the expense of their parents.

Two Sunday Schools, supported by voluntary contributions; one with 48 males and 54 females, who attend the Established Church ; the other is attached to the Independent denomination, and consists of 60 males and 58 females; this School has a lending Library.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.

Stony Stratford

Introduction

Church: St Giles

Hundred: Newport

Poor Law District: Pottersbury

Size (acres): 55

Easting & Northing: 479240

Grid Ref SP790400 Click to see map

Names

Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Stony Stratford PARISH St Giles
Congregational NON-CONFORMIST Wolverton Rd, Stony Stratford. First Mentioned: 1815. Built 1823
Independent NON-CONFORMIST Wolverton End. First Mentioned: 1823
Independent Baptist NON-CONFORMIST Horse Fair. First Mentioned: 1657. Rebuilt 1823
Weslyan NON-CONFORMIST Silver Street. First Mentioned: 1844

 

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 1421
1811 1488
1821 1499
1831 1619
1841 1757
1851 1757
1861 2005
1871 1976
1881 1943
1891 2019
1901 2353
1911 1968
1921 1992
1931 N/A
1941 N/A
1951 3676
1961 3587
1971 4333
1981 N/A
1991 N/A

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Stony Stratford   St Giles & St Mary Magdalen   Baptisms   1783   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Stony Stratford   St Mary Magdalen   Baptisms   1715   1783   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Stony Stratford   St Giles   Baptisms   1703   1715   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Stony Stratford   St Giles   Baptisms   1653   1693   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Stony Stratford   St Giles   Baptisms   1715   1783   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Stony Stratford   St Giles ??   Marriages   1601   1627   Not available   Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Stony Stratford (comb)     Marriages   1754   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Stony Stratford East   St Mary Magdalen   Marriages   1576   1741   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Stony Stratford West   St Giles   Marriages   1575   1754   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Stony Stratford   St Giles   Burials   1715   1837   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Stony Stratford   St Mary Magdalen   Burials   1715   1783   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Stony Stratford   St Giles   Burials   1703   1715   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Stony Stratford   St Giles & St Mary Magdalen   Burials   1783   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Stony Stratford   St Giles   Burials   1653   1697   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available

 

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 PENN SMITH SMITH SMITH
2 SMITH HARRIS RICHARDSON HARRIS
3 HARRIS RICHARDSON GODFREY RICHARDSON
4 HALL GODFREY HARRIS GODFREY
5 GODFREY DAVIS GAYTON WARD
6 MILLER BROOKS CLARKE CLARKE
7 CLARKE WARD WARD BROWN
8 DAVIS BROWN WEBB BARLEY
9 BARNES COOK BARLEY GAYTON
10 BROWNE REYNOLDS BROWN DAVIS

 

 

Notes

When I was a child, Blind Barley, his dog and his concertina,were a familiar sight in our little town. He was a tall, spare, white-haired old man. He never came out until dusk when, led by his dog, he began his evening round, stopping at street corners to play a hymn from his repertoire. Some of the tunes were sad, others were lively rollicking Salvation Army ones. Occasionally he uttered a fervent 'Alleluia', or 'Praise the Lord'.

When the evening was still and star-lit you could hear him from a long way off, even the gay tunes sounding melancholy in the cold night air. When or where he died I do not know but the memory of his gentleness, piety and patience has stayed with me to this day.

Mrs Elstone lived in our little town at the corner where the Horsefair Green joins Silver Street. In one of her windows stood a glass-topped case in which were displayed a fascinating collection of bone and wooden bobbins, lace collars, cuffs, borders and edgings  of gossamer fineness and a necklace of many-coloured beads. These beads of soft blue, gold and yellow, delicately ornamented with tiny flowers had been used to weight the bobbins on the lace pillow, for Mrs Elstone dealt with Buckinghamshire pillow lace.

She was perhaps one of the last remaining lace buyers in the district, for by the 1920's lacemaking as a cottage industry had practically died out.

In the early 1900's when life was uneventful, one of the most eagerly awaited events of the year was Stratford Fair. It arrived at the beginning of our summer holidays, and for days beforehand we strained our eyes for the first glimpse of the traction engine with its gleaming barley-sugar-stick columns of brass that headed the procession. Of the van dwellers, the one I remember best is the shooting gallery lady. She always drove her own van, sitting proudly erect in the front, her strong brown hands loaded with gold rings. Her dress was a tight black bodice and long black skirt, while on her pile of grey hair she wore a fine big hat of black velvet, lavishly adorned with feathers. Her profile was aristocratic, her cheeks tanned and deeply wrinkled. From her ears hung long gold peardrops that swung rhythmically with every movement of the wagon. When I first remember Stratford Fair it stood on the Market Square, overflowing into Silver Street and on to the Horsefair Green. The steam organ was an impressive sight. Made in Brussels, it sported little painted plaster boys and girls, staring woodenly ahead as they tapped their drums and triangles. 'George Billings and Sons. Famous Galloping Horses. Patronised by Royalty and all the Leading Gentry and Nobility'. Mr Billings was a short, plump, rubicund man. I never saw him without his bowler hat.
Between the wars the Fair was transferred to a field in the Wolverton Road and there it continued until the shadow of Milton Keynes fell upon North Buckinghamshire. Then the field was scheduled for building and people now live where once the Fair stood.

Mabel Coleman, Mursley


Extracted from 'A Pattern Hundreds' (1975) and reproduced with the kind permission of the Buckinghamshire Federation of Women's Institutes

Description

Description of Stony Stratford, from J.J. Sheahan, 1861.

Stony of Stony Stratford is a small market town on the northern verge of the county, separated from Northamptonshire by the river Ouse. It is situated 8 mile N.E. from Buckingham, 6 miles W.S.W. from Newport Pagnell, 2 miles from the Wolverton Station of the London and North Western Railway, 7 miles N.W. from Fenny Stratford and 52 miles N.W. from London. The town comprises the parishes of St Giles and St Mary Magdalen, and has little land (about 75 acres) belonging to it, besides that on which the houses are built. The rateable value of St Giles, or the West Side, is £2,058; and that of St Mary's, East Side, is £1,450. The present population of the West Side is 1,356; and the population of the East Side is 649, making a total of 2,005 souls. The number of inhabitants here were 1757; and in 1841, ten years previous, it was exactly the same. In 1811 the population was 1,488.

The Market every Friday is held in the Market Square, for corn, etc.; and a monthly market is held, at which cattle is disposed of by public auction. Fairs take place on August 2nd, the Friday following October 10th, and on November 12th: the first and last for cattle; the second for hiring servants.

Petty sessions are held at the Cock Inn, every alternate Friday.

The Baptist Chapel, a spacious building of red brick with with stone dressings, standson the north side of Horse Fair Green. It was originally erected in 1657, rebuilt in 1823, and a new Sunday School added to it in 1857. The Rev. Ebenezer Leonard Forester is the pastor. The Independent Chapel, Wolverton Road, was built in 1823, and is of red brick with stone finishings. The Rev. John Ashby is the minister. The Wesleyan Chapel, erected in 1844, situated in Silver Street, is composed of similar materials to the other chapels.

The National School was erected in the centre of the High Street, in 1819, and rebuilt on an enlarged plan in 1858. It is built of red brick with stone dressings, and attached is a house for the teacher and a large garden. The rooms for boys and girls are spacious, well lighted, etc.

The British School was erected is a spacious building at the south end of the High Street, erected in 1844, by subscription, at a cost of about £750. The upper room of this school is used for lectures, public meetings, concerts, etc.

Tattenhoe

Introduction

Church: St Giles

Hundred: Cottesloe

Poor Law District: Winslow

Size (acres): 647

Easting & Northing: 483234

Grid Ref SP830340 Click to see map

Places

Places

NameTypeNote
Tattenhoe PARISH St Giles
Tottynho NAMES name for Tattenhoe in 1534

 

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 31
1811 24
1821 16
1831 13
1841 15
1851 55
1861 64
1871 63
1881 17
1891 45
1901 16
1911 43
1921 27
1931 20
1941 N/A
1951 27
1961 20
1971 10
1981 N/A
1991 N/A

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Tattenhoe   St Giles   Baptisms   1725   1903   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Tattenhoe   St Giles   Marriages   1745   1900   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Tattenhoe   St Giles   Burials   1744   1921   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available

 

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 WILLISON COX GRACE COX
2 WORLEY HOPKINS CLARKE GRACE
3 MACE WATTS ARCHER WATTS
4 JONES MAYO DICKENS HOPKINS
5 HOWE CHILTON MONK CLARKE
6 HABGOOD FRANKLIN SANDERS ARCHER
7 DIXEN SMITH SAUNDERS MAYO
8 WOOTON STONE MACKNESS CHILTON
9 WILLIAMS SPOONER KEYS SMITH
10 WILLETT PIPKIN LINNEY DICKENS

Description

Description of Tattenhoe, from J.J. Sheahan, 1861.

This small parish of 690 acres, is situated on the eastern verge of Whaddon Chase, and forms an angle of Cottesloe hundred which abruptly pierces the hundred of Newport, between Fenny Stratford and Shenley. It borders on the road between Fenny Stratford and Stony Stratford, the foundation of which road was the old Roman way, called Watling Street. The parish is divided into three farms; the soil is clay, with a small portion of loam; the rateable value is £745; and the population is included with Shenley. There is no village, but the place is distant from Fenny Stratford about three miles W.N.W.

Education

Tattenhoe Parish (Pop. 13)

No School in the parish.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.

Tyringham cum Filgrave

Introduction

Church: St Peter

Hundred: Newport

Poor Law District: Newport Pagnell

Size (acres): 1792

Easting & Northing: 485247

Grid Ref SP850470 Click to see map

Names

Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Tyringham cum Filgrave PARISH St Peter
Felgrave NAMES name for Filgrave in 1526
Tedlingham NAMES name for Tyringham in Domesday Book 1086
Terringham NAMES name for Tyringham in 1526
Tyrringham NAMES name for Tyringham in 1517
Filgrave PLACE within the parish

 

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 236
1811 180
1821 204
1831 227
1841 206
1851 188
1861 226
1871 246
1881 199
1891 155
1901 198
1911 198
1921 206
1931 178
1941 N/A
1951 159
1961 181
1971 252
1981 N/A
1991 N/A

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Tyringham cum Filgrave   St Peter   Baptisms   1629   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Tyringham cum Filgrave   St Peter   Marriages   1576   1909   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available

 

Education

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 GLOVER PAKES PAKES PAKES
2 JEFFS SCALDWELL PATEMAN PATEMAN
3 CLARE OLD FOWLER FOWLER
4 ASSABY BACKWELL DIGBY OLD
5 WHITE FRANCE SWANNELL SCALDWELL
6 TYRINGHAM PUTT LOVELL JOHNSON
7 COURSE BROOKS WRIGHT BACKWELL
8 STIFF PATEMAN JOHNSON LOVELL
9 OSBORN TITLE EATON FRANCE
10 JEFFES WADWORTH YAKES WHITE

 

Education

Tyringham with Filgrave Parish (Pop. 227)

One Daily School, supported by Mrs. Praed, containing 10 males and 10 females;

One Sunday School, in which 15 males and 10 females are instructed at the expense of the Rector.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.

Additional information