Castlethorpe

Introduction

Church: St Simon and St Jude

Hundred: Newport

Poor Law District: Newport Pagnell

Size (acres): 1372

Easting & Northing: 479244

Grid Ref SP790440 Click to see map

 

Names

Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Castlethorpe PARISH St Simon and St Jude
Thrupp NAMES name for Thorpe in 1616
Weslyan NON-CONFORMIST First Mentioned: 1841. Restored 1888

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 260
1811 242
1821 348
1831 366
1841 365
1851 346
1861 338
1871 366
1881 329
1891 441
1901 539
1911 514
1921 463
1931 461
1941 N/A
1951 501
1961 492
1971 530
1981 721
1991 671

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Castlethorpe   St Simon & St Jude   Baptisms   1562   1912   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Castlethorpe   St Simon & St Jude   Marriages   1563   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Castlethorpe   St Simon & St Jude   Burials   1562   1903   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 PARRAT NICHOLS COWLEY NICHOLS
2 PARRATT PANTER NICHOLS COWLEY
3 EARLE NICHOLLS HARRIS PANTER
4 DENTON CHURCHILL PANTER HARRIS
5 JOHNSON HARRIS COMPTON NICHOLLS
6 COLLISON KITELEE NICHOLLS PARRAT
7 PANTER JOHNSON RAINBOW TOOTH
8 WARREN NEWBERRY TOOTH RAINBOW
9 TRAVELL PARROTT GREGORY DENNY
10 MILLS PARROT GOSTELOW JOHNSON

 

Description

Description of Castlethorpe Parish from J. J. Sheahan in 1861.

 Castlethorpe parish is separated from Northamptonshire, on the west, by the Towe rivulet; and is bounded on the south by the Ouse. Its area is 1,380 acres; population, 346; rateable value, £4,198. It is intersected by the London and North Western Railway. The soil is chiefly a rich loamy clay, and there is an abundance of limestone. Castlethorpe was formerly was formerly a chapelry to Hanslope, but in modern times it became, in secular matters, a distinct parish. The place derives its name from the ancient Castle of the Barony of Hanslape or Hanslope, which stood here.

The village is neat and compact, and lies 3 miles N.N.E. from Stony Stratford, and 3 miles N. from the Wolverton Station, on the above mentioned railway.

The Castle stood near the village, and was the seat of the Manduits: its site exhibits traces of very extensive buildings.

 

Notes

Castlethorpe is one of the most northern villages of Buckinghamshire. It is bounded in the west by the river Tove which separates it from the Northamptonshire village of Cosgrove. It is intersected by the main railway line between London and the north of England. At one time Castlethorpe was part of Hanslope and a large and impressive earthwork of the motte and bailey castle is reputed to be Hanslope Castle. The castle was the seat of the Manduit family and has had a chequered career.

The church of St Simon and St Jude stands within the fortifications of the castle and parts of the church date back to Norman times. Over the centuries considerable alterations have taken place within the church. At one time there was a west gallery in the church which was known by the congregation as the 'fishes pew'. It was occupied by the Eel, the Pike and the Whiting families.

In 1905 a spark from a passing train set fire to houses in North Street having 'jumped over' the houses in South Street. The women and children were given hospitality by neighbours and the men were allocated the waiting room in the railway station. This was the second spark since the turn of the century to cause fire in the village. Most of the menfolk worked either in Wolverton railway works or on the land, but as the century has moved on so have the occupations. In spite of the fact that the railway station was closed in the 1960s Castlethorpe is now quite a 'commuter village'. Farming still plays a large part in the village life.

Article written by members of the Buckinghamshire Federation of Women's Institutes for the publication "The Buckinghamshire Village Book" (1987) and reproduced here with their permission

Education

Castlethorpe Parish (Pop. 366)

One Sunday School, consisting of about 25 children; the master is allowed 1 s. 6d. a week by the parish.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.

Chicheley

Introduction

Church: St Lawrence

Hundred: Newport

Poor Law District: Newport Pagnell

Size (acres): 2070

Easting & Northing: 490245

Grid Ref SP900450 Click to see map

Names

Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Chicheley PARISH St Lawrence
Chechylley NAMES name for Chicheley in 1526
Cicelai NAMES name for Chicheley in Domesday Book in 1086
Sherington (Part) PLACE within the parish
Thickthorne (Fm) PLACE within the parish

 

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 189
1811 179
1821 219
1831 218
1841 256
1851 271
1861 265
1871 250
1881 181
1891 180
1901 208
1911 230
1921 164
1931 162
1941 N/A
1951 120
1961 145
1971 113
1981 126
1991 125

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Chicheley   St Lawrence   Baptisms   1672   1909   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Chicheley   St Lawrence   Marriages   1539   1902   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Chicheley   St Lawrence   Burials   1540   1906   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 GOODRED HALL WRIGHT SMITH
2 SMITH LINEHAM BROWN WRIGHT
3 GLOVER CHESTER SMITH CHESTER
4 STRATTON LEY ELLIS BROWN
5 CHESTER WINWRIGHT CLARK WINWRIGHT
6 COWLY RAINBOW HART CLARK
7 SWEPSON BROWNE WINWRIGHT HALL
8 BUTTIVANT WEBB RILEY GOODRED
9 PAGE MARKS CHESTER ELLIS
10 READE LYNHAM CAUSTIN HART

 

Description

Description of Chicheley from Sheahan, 1861.

According to the Census Return of 1851, the area of the parish of Chicheley is 1,620 acres, the number of its inhabitants was then 271. At present its rateable value is £2,294. The soil is sandy clay. A small stream runs through the parish from its northern verge, and unites with the Ouse at Lathbury.

The village is small, but neat, and consists chiefly of one farm house, on inn, the school, and a few cottages. It is situated in a hollow, and surrounded by lofty trees, and is distant 2.5 miles N.E. from Newport Pagnell (on the road leading from that town to Bedford), and 6.5 miles N.E. from Wolverton Station on the London and North Western Railway.

Chicheley Hall, the seat of C.M. Chester Esq., is a handsome mansion of red brick with stone dressings, rebuilt by Sir John Chester, the fourth Bart., in 1708, and stands in a delightful situation. It contains many interesting old portraits of the Chester family. There are extensive pleasure grounds, a lake of considerable size, and numbers of fine forest trees in the park. A short distance from the mansion is a tower, three stories high, which contains a curious mechanical contrivance for supplying the house with water, from a string beneath. This machinery was erected in 1725, by the fifth Baronet, and is still efficient.

The scattered farm houses here are called lodges, They are, Hill Lodge, New Field Lodge, Thick Thorn Lodge, Mount Pleasant, and the Grange or Balney Lodge. The latter "lodge" is a good stone building, in the occupation of Mr. Francis Coales, with this inscription above the front doorway - Sorrié Iveté Pié 1601.

Education

Chicheley Parish (Pop. 218)

One Day and Sunday School, containing 16 males and 14 females; supported by subscriptions, aided by small weekly payments from the parents of the children.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.

 

Clifton Reynes

Introduction

Church: St Mary the Virgin

Hundred: Newport

Poor Law District: Newport Pagnell

Size (acres): 1454

Easting & Northing: 490251

Grid Ref SP900510 Click to see map

 

Names

Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Clifton Reynes PARISH St Mary the Virgin
Cliftone NAMES name for Clifton Reynes in Domesday Book in 1086
Clistone NAMES name for Clifton Reynes in Domesday Book in 1086
Clystone NAMES name for Clifton Reynes in Domesday Book in 1086
Petsoe End PLACE within the parish

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 221
1811 238
1821 230
1831 246
1841 213
1851 217
1861 212
1871 216
1881 203
1891 170
1901 122
1911 135
1921 120
1931 104
1941 N/A
1951 102
1961 96
1971 107
1981 120
1991 122

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Clifton Reynes   St Mary the Virgin   Baptisms   1653   1912   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Clifton Reynes   St Mary the Virgin   Marriages   1576   1916   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Clifton Reynes   St Mary the Virgin   Burials   1653   1920   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available

 

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 VESSEY JONES OSBORN OSBORN
2 STUBBS SMITH CLARE SMITH
3 GALE SWAIN BRANSON JONES
4 KNIGHT SHARP WRIGHT CLARE
5 HODDLE FREEMAN HAWKINS SHARP
6 ROSE GALE TIMPSON HAWKINS
7 SWAINE PEARSON COOPER WRIGHT
8 COOPER REDGROVE WEST SWAIN
9 BENSON HAWKINS COTTON BRANSON
10 PARISH UNDERWOOD OSBORNE GALE

 

Description

Description of Clifton Reynes from J. J. Sheahan, 1861.

 Area, 1,444 acres; population 217 souls. The river Ouse divides the parish from Olney, Lavendon, and Bradfield. The place derives its name from the hill and cliff on the eastern bank of the river on which it stands; and it acquired the distinctive affix of Reynes, from a family by which the manor was formerly possessed. The soil is chiefly a deep clay, but mixed with gravel near the river. Extraneous fossils are found in a stratum of limestone, and shells of various kinds.

The village, which is small and compact, stands on an eminence over-looking the Ouse, and the town of Olney. It is distant 1.5 mile E. by S. from Olney, and 5 miles N.N.W. from Newport Pagnell. The views from this place are remarkably pleasing. That part of the parish which belonged to the principle manor, was at a very remote and unknown period; and the remainder continued in open-field culture until 1822, when an Act of Parliament was passed for its inclosure.

Education

Clifton-Reynes Parish (Pop. 246)

One Sunday School (commenced 1827), with 20 males and 19 females, supported by contributions

There is a National School adjacent, available to the children of this parish.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.

 

 

 

 

Cold Brayfield

Introduction

Church: St Mary

Hundred: Newport

Poor Law District: Newport Pagnell

Size (acres): 1848

Easting & Northing: 492252

Grid Ref SP920520 Click to see map

Names

Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Cold Brayfield PARISH St Mary
Brafeud NAMES name of Cold Brayfield in 1242
Bragefeld NAMES name of Cold Brayfield in 1184
Bragenfield NAMES name of Cold Brayfield in 1209
Brahefeld NAMES name of Cold Brayfield in 1175
Brainfeud NAMES name of Cold Brayfield in 1218
Bramfeld NAMES name of Cold Brayfield in 1237-40
Branfeld NAMES name of Cold Brayfield in 1247
Branfelde juxta Lavendene NAMES name of Cold Brayfield in 1284
Braufeld NAMES name of Cold Brayfield in 1175
Braumfeld by Turveye NAMES name of Cold Brayfield in 1279
Braunfeld NAMES name of Cold Brayfield in 1247
Braunfeld by Turveye NAMES name of Cold Brayfield in 1376

 

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 431
1811 392
1821 438
1831 475
1841 566
1851 591
1861 546
1871 468
1881 460
1891 464
1901 448
1911 432
1921 422
1931 388
1941 N/A
1951 420
1961 512
1971 688
1981 N/A
1991 N/A

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Cold Brayfield   St Mary   Baptisms   1693   1812   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Cold Brayfield   St Mary   Marriages   1602   1836   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Cold Brayfield   St Mary   Burials   1694   1809   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available

 

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 STEVENSON FARRER RUBYTHON RUBYTHON
2 BODINGTON SMITH BONHAM STEVENSON
3 COX STEVENSON FINCH FARRER
4 COLES KILLINGWORTH WESLEY SMITH
5 STOX BAKER SARGENT BONHAM
6 STOP COLES PANTER FINCH
7 SMYTH SKEVINGTON WHITWORTH COLES
8 SALISBURY ROBINSON SINFIELD WESLEY
9 HOLDER PINKARD WITNEY SARGENT
10 GREENE BODDINGTON WALTON KILLINGWORTH

Description

Description of Cold Brayfield from Sheahan, 1861.

Cold Brayfield, or Brafield, is a small parish on the verge of the county, situated on a bleak and exposed ridge of land. The river Ouse divides it from Bedfordshire on the east, and from the parish of Newton Blossomville on the south. Its area is only 530 acres; population, 80; rateable value, £836.

The village is small and lies 3.5 miles from Olney, 8 miles N.N.E. from Newport Pagnell, and 8 miles W from Bedford.

Brayfield House, the property of W.F. Farrer (but let by him for a term of years) is a handsome mansion delightfully situated on a commanding eminence, overlooking the village and church of Newton Blossomville. The gardens and pleasure grounds are extensive, beautifully diversified, and well stocked with every variety of shrubs, plants and flowers - the latter being planed in parterres adorned with vases etc.

Education

Cold Brayfield Parish (Pop. 93)

The children attend School in adjoining parishes.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.

 

 

Emberton

Introduction

Church: All Saints

Hundred: Newport

Poor Law District: Newport Pagnell

Size (acres): 2364

Easting & Northing: 488249

Grid Ref SP880490 Click to see map

Names

Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Emberton PARISH All Saints
Ambretone NAMES name for Emberton in Domesday Book in 1086
Ambritone NAMES name for Emberton in Domesday Book in 1086
Hollingdon field NAMES name for Hollington Wood in 1639
Hollingdonslade NAMES name for Hollington Wood in 1694
Primitive Methodist NON-CONFORMIST First Mentioned: ?. Recorded in 1851 religious census
Hollington Wood PLACE within the parish
Mulducks PLACE within the parish

 

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 549
1811 541
1821 549
1831 598
1841 658
1851 613
1861 632
1871 637
1881 653
1891 526
1901 510
1911 458
1921 410
1931 399
1941 N/A
1951 409
1961 465
1971 501
1981 552
1991 564

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Emberton   All Saints   Baptisms   1659   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Emberton   All Saints   Marriages   1591   1902   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Emberton   All Saints   Burials   1673   1902   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available

 

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 PAGE PAGE SHARP WRIGHT
2 WRIGHT WRIGHT WRIGHT SHARP
3 COOPER HALE WEST WEST
4 SMITH CLARK WILSON COOPER
5 HARDWICK COOPER RICHARDSON PAGE
6 SCALDWELL SCALDWELL COOPER WILSON
7 QUICK SMITH CAVES RICHARDSON
8 PURNEY HARDWICK HOWSON HALE
9 MARSHALL TURLAND MINARD HOWSON
10 GOODWYN HULL LETT CAVES

Notes

The village of Emberton in north Buckinghamshire lies on the southern edge of the wide, lush water meadows through which the Great Ouse winds. The old coach road from Newport Pagnell used to swing between its fine stone houses and past its clock tower before setting off across the causeway and bridge into Olney.

Today, rescued by a by-pass, the village seems to the casual visitor a quiet and tranquil place, the clock tower still providing the focal point and parts of the ancient high street shaded with magnificent chestnuts, copper beeches and sycamores. But the quiet is deceptive. Though the number of its working farms has dwindled and lace making is now a hobby instead of an industry, Emberton is underneath humming with activity.

From what archaeologists have discovered there has been a settlement at Emberton from Roman times or earlier. The original form of the name was Eanbeorht's Tun, the word 'tun' meaning a farm. So possibly a Saxon of that name after crossing the North Sea, travelled up the Ouse until he found this good defensive position slightly raised above the flood plain of the river. The Norman conqueror divided Ambreton, as it became known at one point, between the Bishop of Coutance and Judith, Countess of Huntingdon and from then on its manor was held by various great local families until it came into the hands of the Tyringhams.

For as long as there have been records the village seems to have remained remarkably stable. Strangely enough the continuity did not come through the big houses but through the cottages. Names of Emberton people well known today such as Lett, Howson, West, Mynard and Lovell go far, far back.
Emberton has always been dominated by farming and remnants of the great ridge and furrow fields that surrounded the village before it was enclosed in 1798-9 can still be seen. The oldest villagers living today can still remember when seven farms employed the local men and when the main street was pitted and potholed with dust rising in clouds as herds of cattle were driven through night and morning.

At the south end of the village on a piece of rising ground stands the church of All Saints. It was built in the second half of the 14th century but considerably restored in Victorian times. The chancel is said to contain the mortal remains of Sir Everard Digby of nearby Gayhurst, famed for his part in the Gunpowder Plot.

It was the Rev Thomas Fry who gave the village its central focus today. Just below the church, where the High Street curves sharply, he built a clock tower in 1846 which he named 'Margaret's Tower' in memory of his second wife (he had three altogether). It replaced an old elm surrounded by a stone wall. The site had traditionally been known as Emberton Cross, indicating that a preaching cross once stood there. Today, the clock still keeps excellent time. The British Legion lay their poppies beneath its war memorial and the more robust members of the community dance round it on New Years Eve.
Probably the most dramatic development in recent times took place in 1964, not in the village itself but on its outskirts. Just before the bridge crosses the Ouse into Olney were fields rich with gravel. When the construction of the MI began, these fields were heavily quarried and left as an eyesore. But two members of Newport Pagnell Rural District Council under whose authority Emberton then came, had a wonderful idea. They turned the scarred landscape into a huge country park with wildlife reserves, reed fringed lakes and open waters for sailing. So successful was Emberton Park that it won a Countryside award.

Article written by members of the Buckinghamshire Federation of Women's Institutes for the publication "The Buckinghamshire Village Book" (1987) and reproduced here with their permission


Notes

Emberton is a small village situated in the north of the county, one and a half miles from Olney, with a square Clock Tower standing in the centre, in which a bell was tolled to call to the men working in the fields.
There was until recently a blacksmith's forge-always very busy shoeing horses for hunting, working on farms and drawing traps. A four-wheeled 'fly', driven by Arther Brown, met all trains arriving at Olney Station—now closed.

Cattle were taken on foot by drovers to markets at Bedford, Northampton and Wellingborough, and any cattle found straying were put into 'the pound', a field attached to Manor Farm, until claimed, a small charge being made.
Near the forge was the village pump where women filled their buckets for a day's supply. It was never known to go dry.

A horse show was held annually on Bank holiday in one of the farm's fields.
At Emberton Feast and other holiday occasions Morris Dancers danced around the Tower—afterwards taking refreshment at the Bell or the Bear Inn (now gone). Sports were held for children and grown-ups and a meat tea was provided in the Dutch barn. School children danced round the maypole.
In the winter a Plum Pudding Party was held in the village schoolroom—when plum puddings boiled in many of the surrounding cottages were served— everyone holding a hot plate in readiness.

On Sundays people carried their dinner to be cooked at the village bakehouse, the meat in a baking tin covered with a cloth and Yorkshire pudding batter in a jug or can, and at 'drawing time' would be seen hurrying home with it all ready to eat.

Across the River Ouse is Weston Underwood where the poet Cowper sat in his summer-house in The Wilderness writing his poems and where in the spring is to be seen a carpet of snowdrops.

A. Fairey, Emberton

Emberton where I was born in 1892 has always seemed a happy, friendly village, partly owing to the lasting influence of my grandparents, parents and cousin who lived and served in the Old Rectory for nearly a hundred years. My parents regularly visited every house and cottage, my mother with the shawl which she knitted for each new baby, while my father had his sticky pockets stuffed with almond toffee and peppermints for the children.

We always kept huge dogs, Great Danes and Russian Wolfhounds.
Our front gate was always open and the villagers allowed to walk through the garden and use our field for picnics.

The lovely church was nearly always full, extra chairs being needed for Christmas and Harvest festivals, and the six bellringers and our churchyard were the pride of the countryside. Most of the stained-glass windows were put in to the memory of my grandparents and uncles; Grandmamma's is dedicated to 'Faith, Hope and Charity'. Poor thing, she must have needed all three with thirteen children on £250 a year, but they all grew up hale and hearty.

Seventy years ago in Emberton the roads were terrible, covered with small stones and needing the constant use of steamrollers which terrified our horses.
The climate was quite different. For months there was hot sunshine and all meals were taken at a long table under the big plane trees, but the winters were bitter and we skated for days on the river and flooded fields between Weston and the Olney road.

We made our own pleasure, and as the families varied from seven of us to thirteen children at both Filgrave and Clifton rectories, it was easy to collect two teams for hockey and cricket matches and every big house had its own tennis court. My elder sisters were renowned for arranging plays and concerts which meant three months' hard work, and one sister spent chilly hours in the cellar painting scenery. Twice a week twenty lucky children came to learn choruses for flowers and fairies and were quite contented with two sweets at the end.
We also taught country dancing and took parties of boys and girls to Tyringham and Gayhurst in fancy dress. One of our plays was A Pageant of the Queens, acted by twenty WI members, beginning with the poisoning of Queen Boadicea and ending with the Queen Mother. No one was anxious to be Bloody Mary so I borrowed a ruby velvet frock and leapt delightedly into my three-minute scene set to music in which I was signing a Death Warrant. My brother wrote an appropriate verse for each Queen which we sent to Buckingham Palace and in three days we had a charming letter from Lady Delia Peel, telling us that the Queen Mother had thoroughly enjoyed reading, them.

We could usually count on at least four dances at Christmas at Tyringham, Crawley Grange and Gayhurst and the satin or silk long dresses, sometimes sparkling with silver sequins, low necks—but not too low—and white kid gloves to the shoulders were so very pretty. We had pale pink or blue programmes with pencils danging on matching silk to write in partners' names, but to have the same partner more than three times was considered highly improper. The sequined, handpainted and feathered fans were enchanting, and there was great variety in the dances: waltzes, polkas, Washington Post, Pas de Quatres and the Lancers in which one was invariably swung off -one's feet.

The river too was a great joy, as we had a large boat called the 'Old Aunt Jane' in which we rowed up to an island near Filgrave and built a fire to boil the kettle. I dreaded going under Olney bridge towards the mill because the great wheel threatened to drag us down and grind us to bits.

Sidney Sams, Emberton


Extracted from 'A Pattern Hundreds' (1975) and reproduced with the kind permission of the Buckinghamshire Federation of Women's Institutes

Description

Description of Emberton from J. J. Sheahan, 1861.

 Emberton parish, including Okney-cum-Petsoe, contains 1,860 acres, and 613 souls. The rateable value is £2,412. Stone of good quality is found here in abundance, and, at a greater depth, some excellent freestone. The village, a very neat and compact one, contains several genteel residences. It skirts the high road between Newport Pagnell and Olney, 1.5 mile S. of the latter town, and 4 miles N of the former. The road between Emberton and Olney is through the pleasant valley of the Ouse, and the parishes are connected by a very long bridge over that river, and the low marshy track bordering upon it. About the centre of the village is a square clock-tower which was erected by subscription in 1845. The clock and bell were the gift of Miss Hughes, of Emberton. The tower is protected by an iron palisading.

The Rectory House, an ancient building stands a little north of the Church. The school, which is situated in the centre of the village, is attended daily by about 50 children.

 

Education

Emberton with Okeney-cum-Petsoe Parish (Pop. 598)

One Day and Sunday School, attended by 70 children of both sexes daily, and 30 in addition on Sundays; supported by voluntary contributions, and has a lending Library.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.

Fenny Stratford

Introduction

Church: St Martin

Hundred: Newport

Poor Law District: Newport Pagnell

Size (acres):

Easting & Northing: 488234

Grid Ref SP880340 Click to see map

Names

Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Fenny Stratford PARISH St Martin
Baptist NON-CONFORMIST Spurgeon Memorial Chapel, Aylesbury Street. First Mentioned: 1800. Built 1805, rebuilt 1892
Weslyan NON-CONFORMIST High St then Albert St. First Mentioned: 1813. Rebuilt 1866

 

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Fenny Stratford   St Martin   Baptisms   1730   1892   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Fenny Stratford   St Martin   Marriages   1576   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Fenny Stratford   St Martin   Burials   1728   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available

 

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 EMERY GIBBS HAMMOND HAMMOND
2 BAMBOWY ROGERS BATES GOODMAN
3 BLAND POOL GOODMAN BATES
4 BANBERY HART SMITH SMITH
5 TOMPKINS ETHERIDGE SOUSTER SOUSTER
6 RICHARDSON NORMAN WHITE KING
7 INNES EDGE KING WHITE
8 FEARY MEAD CLARKE CLARKE
9 CHAPMAN FOX HOLDOM ROGERS
10 PARSONS DAY LUCAS HOLDOM

 

Notes

Extract from the Universal British Directory 1791

Is seated on the rising of a hill; at the bottom of the town runs the river Losield, well supplied with fish, with a large stone bridge over it. The town consists of one principal street, on the West Chester Road, forty-five miles from London, and one cross Street, leading to Aylesbury, which is fixteen miles distant. It is from Leighton Buzzard seven miles, Winslow nine, Stoney Stratford seven, Newport Pagnell seven, and Wooburn five.

This town is in the hamlet of' two parishes; the north side belongs to the parish of Simpson, in which is a seat called Simpson Place, belonging to Sir Thomas Hanmer, Bart, about a mile distance from the town; and the west side belongs to the parish of Bletchley, on which is erected a beautiful chapel of eafe called St. Martin's chapel, built by subcription : the ceiling is ornamented with gentlemens' coats of arms who have subscribed liberally towards the building. St. Martin's day was the day on which this chapel was finished, and on that day yearly a Sermon is preached, and a dinner given to the principal inhabitants of the towa, and the evening spent in mirth, firing of guns, bonfires, etc. Bletchley is a large village about a mile and half distant, at which place is the mother church ; it has a ring of eight bells, is large and elegant, and the chancel is ornamented with draughts of the twelve apostles.


Fenny Stratford has a market on Monday, and four fairs annually, viz. April 19 for cattle, July 18 for toys:, and October 10 and November 28 for cattle.


The chief manufacture of the town and neighbourhood is white bone lace. The soil is excellent for all sorts of grain; and there are some very rich grazing pastures in the neighbourhood.


The post goes out every evening about eleven o'clock, and returns the next morning at three.

 

Description

Description of Fenny Stratford from J. J. Sheahan, 1861.

This place was originally a hamlet and chapelry in the parish of Bletchley; but now it appears to posses all the rights of an independent parish. According to local estimation the parish contains 941 acres. The population in 1851 was 1,140. A portion of the town of Fenny Stratford belongs to the parish of Simpson, and is about 1.5 mile distant from the church of that parish. The soil is gravel on a basis of clay. The parish is intersected by the main line of the London and North-Western Railway, the Bedford branch of the same railway, the Grand Union Canal, and the river Ousel or Lovat.

The town is situated 7 miles S.E. from Stony Stratford, 13.5 from Buckingham, and 44 N.W. from London. The Bletchley Junction Railway Station, which is in this parish, is distant about 1 mile; and close to the town is the Fenny Stratford Station, on the branch line from Bletchley to Bedford. The latter line was opened in 1847.

 

Gayhurst

Introduction

Church: St Peter

Hundred: Newport

Poor Law District: Newport Pagnell

Size (acres): 1012

Easting & Northing: 484246

Grid Ref SP840460 Click to see map

Names

Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Gayhurst PARISH St Peter
Gaherst Radulfi de Niueres NAMES name of Gayhurst in 1167
Gateherst NAMES name for Gayhurst in Domesday Book 1086
Geyhurst NAMES name of Gayhurst in 1526
Gothurst NAMES name of Gayhurst in 1806, Lysons, Magna Britannica
Bunsty Farm PLACE within the parish
Hoo Wood PLACE within the parish
Stocking Wood PLACE within the parish

 

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 89
1811 89
1821 90
1831 118
1841 116
1851 88
1861 129
1871 95
1881 91
1891 91
1901 104
1911 108
1921 98
1931 83
1941 N/A
1951 67
1961 39
1971 51
1981 101
1991 102

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Gayhurst   St Peter   Baptisms   1728   1812   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Gayhurst   St Peter   Marriages   1575   1849   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Gayhurst   St Peter   Burials   1728   1812   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available

 

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 LANE SMITH PAKES SMITH
2 BARKER WRIGHT ROBINSON PAKES
3 ELLIS PERRY MEADOWS WRIGHT
4 WRIGHT BARKER HAYNES BARKER
5 MANTON COWLEY WATTS WATTS
6 NEVELL WRIGHTE PELL ROBINSON
7 MARKAM JOHNSON PATEMAN PERRY
8 WARRINGTON MELLOR HAINES ELKINS
9 LEACHE PAGE BRICE COWLEY
10 TRAVEL NICHOLS TOWNSEND NICHOLS

 

Description

Description of Gayhurst from Sheahan, 1861.

The parish of Gayhurst contains 840 acres, and 88 inhabitants, according to the census return of 1851; but by local estimation the area is 990 acres, including 156 acres of woodland in the higher grounds. Rateable value £1,350. The soil, for the greater part, is a strong clay of loam, resting on a substratum of lime. The parish was inclosed in 1710, by private agreement amongst the inhabitants.

The village, which is small and neat, is situated on the turnpike road from Newport Pagnell to Northampton, and in the rich and beautiful valley of the Ouse, 2.5 miles N.W. from Newport, and 4 miles W. from Olney. Near the village the river divides the parishes of Gayhurst and Tyringham.

Education

Gayhurst Parish, with Gorbfields, Extra Par. (Pop. 118)

The children attend Sunday Schools in adjoining parishes.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.

 

 

Additional information