Hardmead

Introduction

Church: Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Hundred: Newport

Poor Law District: Newport Pagnell

Size (acres): 1145

Easting & Northing: 493247

Grid Ref SP930470 Click to see map

Names

Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Hardmead PARISH Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Herouldmede NAMES name for Hardmead in Domesday Book in 1086
Herulfmede NAMES name for Hardmead in Domesday Book in 1086
Horelmede NAMES name for Hardmead in Domesday Book in 1086
Astwood PLACE within the parish

 

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 45
1811 68
1821 75
1831 83
1841 83
1851 61
1861 91
1871 92
1881 92
1891 79
1901 51
1911 63
1921 66
1931 83
1941 N/A
1951 105
1961 98
1971 85
1981 91
1991 84

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Hardmead   Assumption of the BVM   Baptisms   1556   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
Hardmead   Assumption of the BVM   Marriages   1576   1902   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
Hardmead   Assumption of the BVM   Burials   1556   1903   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here

 

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 CREAKE READ HUCKLE HUCKLE
2 CATESBY ANDREWS PRICKETT ANDREWS
3 COX LORD WILDING PRICKETT
4 BONHAM BASS PRICKET READ
5 FOWLER WRIGHT KNIGHT BASS
6 SOMES HARDWICK FLUTE WILDING
7 CONN ROBERTS BASON LORD
8 CLARKE WILLIAMSON GOODRICH FOWLER
9 TAILER MEAGER FINCH WRIGHT
10 COOPER EATON WAIT COX

 

Description

Description of Hardmead from Sheahan, 1861.

The parish of Hardmead, or Hormead, contains 1,113 acres, and 61 inhabitants; and its rateable value is £1,030. According to the author of "A Treatise on Hor, or Hoar Stones, " the place appears to have derived its name from its situation, both on the verge of the old hundred of Moselai or Moulsho, and on the boundary of the county.
The village is small, and lies 5 miles N.E. from Newport Pagnell, and 4.5 miles S.E. from Olney.
The manor house stood north-west of the church, and was pulled down only a few years ago. There are traces of the moat, and fish-ponds visible. and a portion of the front wall still remains. Foundations of several houses have been discovered in the vicinity of the church. Several neat cottages, in pairs have been recently erected here; and a new road, leading to the Church and Rectory has been formed, through the liberalty of the owners of the property (the Shedden Material).
The Rectory House was erected in 1858, and is of red brick with stone dressings, in the Domestic Gothic style. It is situated near the church. In taking down the old parsonage, the mullions of the chancel windows were discovered, forming a portion of a fire-place.

Education

Hardmead Parish (Pop. 83)

One Sunday School (commenced 1823), consisting of 12 males and 6 females; the master is allowed £3 per annum by the Lord of the Manor and the Rector.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.

Additional information