Colnbrook

Introduction

Colnbrook Parish

Church: St Thomas

Hundred: Stoke

Poor Law District: Eton

Size (acres):

Easting & Northing: 502177

Grid Ref TQ020770 Click to see map

Places


Places

NameTypeNote
Colnbrook PARISH St Thomas
Cawlbroke NAMES name for Colnbrook in 1537
Col(e)brook NAMES name for Colnbrook in 1765
Collebrooke NAMES name for Colnbrook in 1608
Primitive Methodist NON-CONFORMIST First Mentioned: 1859

 

Links

Links

Church Stained Glass Church Stained Glass
Search The National Archives for Colnbrook Search The National Archives for Colnbrook
Buckinghamshire Remembers - Colnbrook Buckinghamshire Remembers - Colnbrook
Church Plans Church Plans on Line

Photographs

Photographs in our Gallery Photographs in our Gallery
Pictures in the Frith collection Pictures in the Frith collection

These links will take you to external websites which will open in a new browser window. Bucks FHS is not responsible for nor has any control over the content of these sites. If any of these links do not work please let us know. It would be helpful if you could say which parish you were viewing and the name of the link which is broken.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Colnbrook   St Thomas   Baptisms   1633   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
Colnbrook   St Thomas   Marriages   1852   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
Colnbrook   St Thomas   Burials   1852   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here

 

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 CLARK CHILD SLADE SLADE
2 WEBB BALL LANE LANE
3 BALL HOBBS HARRIS HARRIS
4 CHILD SALTER SAUNDERS SAUNDERS
5 ALLNUTT BABB ROGERS ROGERS
6 ASHBEY ALLNUTT PALMER SHRIMPTON
7 FRANCKLIN PAGE SHRIMPTON PALMER
8 CLARKE LANE MUCKLEY MUCKLEY
9 KIRTON BOVINGDON WINGROVE WINGROVE
10 COSTARD PUSEY SEARS SEARS

 

 

Description

Description of Colnbrook and other notes. When J.J.Sheahan was writing Colnbrook is described as a Chapelery.

 

Colnbrook is a small town on the river Colne, (which divides Buckinghamshire and Middlesex), from which it has its name. It is distant 3.5 S.E.from Slough, 5 miles E. by S. from Windsor. and 17 miles N.W. from London; and consists principally of one long street. The Chapelry is situated in the four parishes of Stanwell, Iver, Horton, and Langley Marish, - the first named parish being in Middlesex. The northern side of the street of the Buckinghamshire portion of the town, is included in Langley Marish; the opposite, or southern side is in the parish of Horton.

Colnbrook was incorporated by charter in 1554, under the title of the Bailiff and Twelve Burgesses. This charter granted a weekly Market on Tuesday, and two annual Fairs on April 5th and October 16th. The corporate body having discontinued, the town received a fresh charter from Charles I., in 1636. The corporation and the market have long been defunct, but the fairs are still held. The Market House stood in the narrow part of the street.

For those researching family history before creation of the parish 1852 there are two places to look initially, Langley Marish and Horton. The people tend to go to Horton church as it is closer, then to Langley Marish as it was along the Bath Road, Iver does not have a direct route, so it was hardly used.

When studying the census, Horton parish covered the southern part of the High Street in Colnbrook and Langley Marish parish covers the north part of the High Street and Brands Hill.

Note

Colnbrook was an oddity as it was a town without a parish until St Thomas's church was built in 1849. Before that date the High Street formed the boundary between Iver to the North and Hoton to the South. Most of the people either used Horton or Langley for Baptisms, Marriages & Burials. After 1852 these services were carried out at St Thomas's until the churchyard was closed in 1911. Langley and Horton were then used for the burials. Iver church was rarely used as it was further away.
Colnbrook Church & School (1951)
Colnbrook Church to the right and School to the left.
Taken in 1951


View Church Plan

View another Church Plan