This section also includes those parishes in the south of the county and north of the Thames.

Farnham Common & Farnham Royal

Farnham Common lies in the parish of Farnham Royal. It covers an area of some 2.5 miles and has a population of approximately 6,000.
Farnham Royal was the main village with its church of St Mary's, shops, cottages and village pump situated in the centre junction of the cross roads. Farnham Common was known as 'Up End', being the common land of the parish where the livestock was grazed at certain times of the year. As this common area became more populated it became known as Farnham Common.

Read more: Farnham Common & Farnham Royal

Education Provision 1833

Farnham Royal Parish (including part of Salt Hill) (Pop. 777)

Two Day and Sunday Schools, attended by 56 males and 28 females daily, and 39 males and 36 females on Sundays, supported by subscription and small weekly payments from the children. Rooms were built for the above Schools by subscription, in 1822, when they were placed on their present footing.

Read more: Education Provision 1833

Notes on Farnham Royal

Description of Farnham Royal from J. J. Sheahan, 1861.

 

Register to read more...

Fulmer

Nestling between two motorways, the M25 and M40, Fulmer is on the surface the epitome of an English village. It has its winding village street flanked by the village shop and post office, the church, the public house, The Black Horse, and the village hall. There is even a village school which takes children up to eight years old. However, the majority of the people who live in the village do not work there.

Read more: Fulmer

Education Provision 1833

Fulmer Parish (Pop. 391)

One Daily School (commenced 1823,) containing 20 children of both sexes, who are instructed at the expense of their parents;

One Sunday School, with about 40 children, supported by voluntary contributions.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.

Fulmer - Description

1861 description of Fulmer from J. J.  Sheahan.

Register to read more...

Memories of Stoke Common

Gerrards Cross was a very small village, and consisted mainly of the houses surrounding the common. The village shop, owned by Mr Wood, was adjacent to the French Horn public house and Mr Wood was also the baker. His daughter, Mrs Newman, with her husband opened a baker's shop near Gerrards Cross station after the railway was constructed from London to the Midlands.
The village school still stands, close to the Pack-horse public house, and the Bull on the western end of the common was the stopping place for the four-in-hand coach which ran from London to Oxford.

Read more: Memories of Stoke Common

Additional information