This section also includes those parishes in the south of the county and north of the Thames.

Colnbrook Church

Colnbrook was an oddity as it was a town without a parish until St Thomas's church was built in 1849. Before that date the High Street formed the boundary between Iver to the North and Hoton to the South. Most of the people either used Horton or Langley for Baptisms, Marriages & Burials. After 1852 these services were carried out at St Thomas's until the churchyard was closed in 1911. Langley and Horton were then used for the burials. Iver church was rarely used as it was further away.
Colnbrook Church & School (1951)
Colnbrook Church to the right and School to the left.
Taken in 1951.

Read more: Colnbrook Church

Education Provision 1833

Datchet Parish (Pop. 802)

Three Daily Schools,

Register to

Notes on Datchet

Description of Datchet from J. J. Sheahan, 1861.


Register to


Since earliest times Denham has been owned or visited by many famous people. Connected for centuries to Westminster Abbey, Denham played host to visiting abbots and later, when ancient Savay Farm became a convalescent home for nuns, it is pleasant to imagine the nuns sporting themselves beside the river as their health improved.

Read more: Denham

Education Provision 1833

Denham Parish (Pop. 1,169)

One Daily School, containing 16 males and 16 females, supported by an endowment amounting to twenty guineas per annum, with a house and garden for the master and mistress, and the privilege of taking other scholars.

Read more: Education Provision 1833

Notes on Denham

Description of Denham from Sheahan, 1861.

Register to


In the very south of the county lies the village of Dorney, bounded by the river Thames, which used to flood the surrounding farmlands, turing it into an island. The manor of Dorney is named in the Domesday Book and was famous for its honey — hence the derivation of its name from the Saxon 'Island of Bees'.

Read more: Dorney

Additional information