Woughton on the Green

Introduction

Church: Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Hundred: Newport

Poor Law District: Newport Pagnell

Size (acres): 1224

Easting & Northing: 487237

Grid Ref SP870370 Click to see map

Names

Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Woughton on the Green PARISH Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Ulchetune NAMES name for Woughton on the Green in Domesday Book in 1086
Wafton NAMES name for Woughton on the Green in 1700
Woketon NAMES name for Woughton on the Green in 1480 - 96
Methodist NON-CONFORMIST First Mentioned: 1867
Bleak Hall PLACE within the parish

 

Records

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 311
1811 285
1821 299
1831 303
1841 354
1851 337
1861 314
1871 273
1881 231
1891 208
1901 202
1911 209
1921 182
1931 167
1941 N/A
1951 163
1961 160
1971 118
1981 10885
1991 11841

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Woughton on the Green   Assumption of the BVM   Baptisms   1566   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Woughton on the Green   Assumption of the BVM   Marriages   1575   1908   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Woughton on the Green   Assumption of the BVM   Burials   1598   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available

 

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 GOODMAN GOODMAN BIGGS GOODMAN
2 FOWLER GRACE ROSE BIGGS
3 CHADD MAJOR PURCELL ROSE
4 DUDLEY ASHBY WARR COOK
5 ROBERTS BASKERFIELD COX MAJOR
6 ASHBEE ROBERTS CARTER FOWLER
7 WILSON PUTNAM PURSELL WARR
8 CHAD COOK JENNINGS PURCELL
9 WILDE JAMES UNDERWOOD UNDERWOOD
10 READE GILPIN SHEPHERD GRACE

 

Description

Description of Woughton-on-the-Green from Sheahan, 1861.

Area, according to local estimation, 1,191 acres; rateable value, £2,253; population, 337 souls. The soil is clay, with a gravelly sub-soil, and the surface is varied. The Grand Junction Canal, and the Bedford Branch (from Bletchley Junction) of the London and North-Western Railway, intersect the parish.

The village is large, and built in the form of an oblong square, with a " green " in the centre, in the middle of the east end of which stands the church. It is on the road between Fenny Stratford and Newport Pagnell, 2.5 miles N. of the former, and 4 miles S. from the latter town. The parish was enclosed in 1769. The river Ouse bounds the parish to the east.

The National School, erected by subscription in 1856, is a neat red brick structure, near the church. About 30 boys and girls attend.

Education

Woughton-on-the-Green Parish (Pop. 303)

One Sunday School (commenced 1819), held in the Parish Church, and attended by 25 males and 36 females; supported by subscriptions, and collections after an annual sermon.

There are five small daily Schools, wherein 4 males and 37 females are taught to make lace and to read.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.

Additional information