Obtaining GRO Certificates

Birth Certificate-thumbnailThe Civil Registration of Births, Marriages and Deaths started in 1837. The registers are held by the local Registrar with a copy deposited at the General Register Office (GRO). Copies of these certificates can be obtained either by ordering on-line or by post. The cheapest way to obtain copy certificates is to order direct from the GRO.

There are a number of ways you can apply for a certificate:


Online, at www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/default.asp, this is the cheapest and quickest method of applying from GRO


By post from GRO, PO Box 2, Southport. Merseyside, PR8 2JD, download an application form from http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/publications/agencies-public-bodies/ips/general-ips-publications/certificate-application-forms/


If you have a credit or debit card you can order a certificate over the telephone via the GRO Contact Centre on 0300 123 1837


From the local register office in the district where the event was registered.


A priority ordering service exists at GRO Southport for urgent applications. All certificates will be sent out by post, for further details please visit www.ips.gov.uk/gro or telephone 0300 123 1837.


Alternatively you may wish to contact the register office for the district where the event was registered.


Microfiche copies of some of the births, marriages, deaths and overseas indexes from 1837 onwards continue to be available at many other local libraries, record offices and other facilities including third party web sites. For a list of places where microfiche copies are held or to obtain more information please visit the GRO web site at http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/Registeringlifeevents/Familyhistoryandresearch/DG_175464

The fiche indexes held in Bucks are at the Local Studies, Centre of Buckinghamshire Studies, County Hall, Aylesbury, and the Local Studies sections of Milton Keynes and High Wycombe Libraries.


A full set of the indexes, including recent events, the Adopted Children Register, Civil Partnership Index and events which have been registered overseas can be found at:


  • Greater Manchester County Record Office

  • Birmingham Central Library

  • Bridgend Reference and Information Library 

  • Plymouth Central Library 

  • Newcastle City Library

  • City of Westminster Archives Centre 

  • The British Library