There are over 250 parishes in the county, here they have been divided into five groups based on modern boundaries. Before 1974 all records are defined by the historic county boundaries which included the town of Milton Keynes and followed the Thames in the south of the county.

Material is being transferred into this section and the old format retired.

Gawcott

Introduction

Church: Holy Trinity

Hundred: Buckingham

Poor Law District: Buckingham

Size (acres): 550

Easting & Northing: 468231

Grid Ref SP680310 Click to see map

Names

Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Gawcott PARISH Holy Trinity
Chauescote NAMES name for Gawcott in Domesday Book in 1086
Galcotte NAMES name for Gawcott in 1517
Gocot NAMES name for Gawcott in 1675
Primitive Methodist NON-CONFORMIST Prebend End. First Mentioned: 1844

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 395
1811 467
1821 566
1831 N/A
1841 665
1851 619
1861 571
1871 540
1881 N/A
1891 N/A
1901 N/A
1911 N/A
1921 N/A
1931 N/A
1941 N/A
1951 N/A
1961 N/A
1971 N/A
1981 N/A
1991 N/A

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Gawcott   Holy Trinity   Baptisms   1806   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
Gawcott   Holy Trinity   Marriages   1862   1912   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
Gawcott   Holy Trinity   Burials   1807   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here

 

surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 COLLETT LAW BENNETT BENNETT
2 NORTH WARR OSBORNE WARR
3 FENNIMORE NORMAN HOLTON OSBORNE
4 MEDCUFF GEORGE TURVEY HOLTON
5 WINTERBORNE WISEMAN WARR TURVEY
6 WHITE SMITH BLENCOWE SMITH
7 WISEMAN MARKHAM SMITH BLENCOWE
8 WATKINS HALL ROBINSON ROBINSON
9 JEFFERY COLLETT HARRIS HARRIS
10 COAR SCOTT TEW TEW

Description

Description of Gawcott as a Chapelry from J. J. Sheahan, 1861.

The village of Gawcott, which is large and compact, and has been much improved of late years, is situated two miles S.W. from Buckingham. The rateable value of the place is £1,367. The females are chiefly employed in making black pillow lace.

When the hamlet was inclosed (the Inclosure Act of 1821 included Prebend End, Gawcott, and Maids Morton) allotments were severally assigned to the Impropriators, and the Vicar, in lieu of tithes; and to the poor as a commutation of their ancient rights to cut furze on the waste land.

At Gawcott was an ancient chapel dedicated to St Catherine, the site of which is supposed to be a field called Chapel Close. The lane leading to it bears the name of Chapel Lane. No remains of this place of worship remains in Brown Willis's time. In 1806 Mr. John West, a native of this hamlet, born and brought up in very humble life, and who acquired considerable property by dealing in thread lace (then the manufacturer of this part of the county) built and endowed a new chapel - giving for that purpose, it is stated, between £4,000 and £5,000. "The foundation, however" writes Lipscomb, "having been very injudiciously laid, and the workmanship ill conducted, it was found necessary to rebuild the whole fabric" in 1828. This was done at a cost of about £1,750, (raised by subscription) including a parsonage also then erected.

The National School stands near the church, and was erected in 1839, at an expense of £338, raised by voluntary contributions. It is a neat building of stone, with red brick dressings. About forty children attend this school.

Mr George Gilbert Scott, of London,the eminent ecclesiastical architect, was born at the parsonage of Gawcott.

Granborough

Introduction

Church: St John the Baptist

Hundred: Ashendon

Poor Law District: Winslow

Size (acres): 1580

Easting & Northing: 476225

Grid Ref SP760250 Click to see map

Names


Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Granborough PARISH St John the Baptist
Byggyng NAMES name for Biggin in 1766
Gainborough NAMES name for Gainborough in 1675
Grandborough NAMES name for Granborough in 1766, 1925
Grandborow NAMES name for Grandborough in 1653
Grenborough NAMES name for Granborough in 1535
Grenesberga NAMES name for Granborough in Domesday Book in 1086
Methodist NON-CONFORMIST First Mentioned: 1831. Rebuilt 1901
Biggin (lost) PLACE within the parish

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 230
1811 251
1821 286
1831 341
1841 345
1851 359
1861 374
1871 367
1881 300
1891 301
1901 297
1911 276
1921 239
1931 222
1941 N/A
1951 201
1961 261
1971 420
1981 410
1991 448

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Granborough   St John the Baptist   Baptisms   1538   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
Granborough   St John the Baptist   Marriages   1538   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
Granborough   St John the Baptist   Burials   1538   1907   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here

 

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 STEVENS STEVENS NEWMAN STEVENS
2 HOLLAND HOLLAND HIGGINS HOLLAND
3 GRACE SMITH DANCER NEWMAN
4 PITKIN DANCER SMITH DANCER
5 STEEVENS PITKIN NORMAN SMITH
6 WORRALL KING CLARKE HIGGINS
7 EMERTON THORP STAIRS NORMAN
8 BOTON GILKS STEVENS CLARKE
9 TOMLIN CLARK FOSKETT STAIRS
10 RUTLAND BOWDEN BRADBURY PITKIN

 

Description

Description of Granborough from J. J. Sheahan, 1861.

 This parish contains 1,560 acres and 374 inhabitants. Its rateable value is £1,847. The soil is a clayey loam with gravel. The village is small and stands on a swelling hill, from which the place is supposed to have its name. Is is distant 1.75 mile S. from Winslow, and 8 miles N. from Aylesbury, The females are chiefly employed in pillow-lace making. In the, Parish Register the name of the place is spelt Granborowe and Greenborough.

The vicarage house is a small residence, a short distance from the church, on its north side. The National School adjoining the southside of the church-yard, was built in 1852, and is a very neat brick building. About 50 children attend. There is a Dissenter's Chapel, a snall building.

Under the Act for inclosing the Commons and Waste lands of this parish, an allotment of 5a, 2r 22p. was awarded in 1797 to the poor parishioners, in lieu of a right of cutting furze. This land is divided into many plots, and cultivated and occupied by the poor.

Memories

Granborough was once part of the Manor of Winslow. A windmill stood on the hill in a field still called Mill Knob.

An older resident recalls the village in times past:

Granborough in the days of my youth was a very friendly village, full of people of all ages, some very old. One thing which remains in my mind is the old ladies sitting in the doorways of their cottages, a shawl around them to keep warm and a pillow on their knees, making lace, without spectacles or any other aid.
Most of the present day inhabitants work outside the village, except those who work on farms. We once had a blacksmith, a wheelwright and undertaker, a coal merchant, baker, builder, post office and general store.
I remember that at one time the house known as Granborough Lodge, then the Vicarage, was supposed to be haunted by a vicar who died at Scarborough by drowning. Although I lived there for a number of years I never saw him.
During the war there was a day of fear and excitement when an American plane dropped a bomb in Church Lane which demolished the house of Mr W. Newman, our greengrocer, and damaged a few others.
There are a very few of the old families left now, but lots of newcomers, who we are pleased to say are very friendly and helpful, both in the church and in social life.

Article written by members of the Buckinghamshire Federation of Women's Institutes for the publication "The Buckinghamshire Village Book" (1987) and reproduced here with their permission

Education

Grandborough Parish (Pop. 341)

One Sunday School, with 36 males and 28 females, supported by subscription.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.

Great Brickhill

Introduction

Church: St Mary the Virgin

Hundred: Newport

Poor Law District: Newport Pagnell

Size (acres): 2383

Easting & Northing: 490230

Grid Ref SP900300 Click to see map

Names


Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Great Brickhill PARISH St Mary the Virgin
Brichella NAMES name for Great Brickhill in Domesday Book in 1086
Methodist NON-CONFORMIST First Mentioned: 1814. closed 1973
Strict Baptist NON-CONFORMIST First Mentioned: 1812
Cross End PLACE within the parish
Duck End PLACE within the parish
Green End PLACE within the parish
Smewnes Grange PLACE within the parish, now lost

 

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 560
1811 554
1821 558
1831 776
1841 721
1851 730
1861 590
1871 566
1881 557
1891 522
1901 491
1911 430
1921 482
1931 375
1941 N/A
1951 470
1961 536
1971 705
1981 779
1991 767

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Great Brickhill   St Mary the Virgin   Baptisms   1538   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Great Brickhill   St Mary the Virgin   Marriages   1559   1902   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Great Brickhill   St Mary the Virgin   Burials   1559   1883   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Great Brickhill   Baptist   Burials   1830   1840   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available

 

Surname

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 HOPKINS LAWSON ADAMS LAWSON
2 SHEPPARD WARNER KING SMITH
3 WATTS COLEMAN SINFIELD ADAMS
4 BUSH SMITH CHEW COLEMAN
5 GATES HARRIS HOLMES KING
6 SMITH EDWIN STEVENS SINFIELD
7 MERIDALE SHEFFIELD SMITH HARRIS
8 EDWIN PEPPIAT PEPPIATT STEVENS
9 COLEMAN CHANDLER MORRIS CHEW
10 BETT SHEPPARD BATES HOLMES

Description

The name of the village is probably derived from a combination of the Celtic 'Bryh' (hill) and the Anglo-Saxon 'Hylle' (hilltop), although evidence has been found of much earlier Roman and Bronze Age settlements. The village is situated on a ridge, lying on a bed of Greensand and Oxford Clay, the highest point being 500 feet. Consequently, it has panoramic views from all sides over the surrounding farms and woodland and, in turn, can be seen from many distant villages.

Religion has played its part in village life, although the Methodist Chapel has been converted into a dwelling-house and the Baptist Chapel has been demolished. The parish church of St Mary shows evidence of Norman times, although the present building is mainly 15th century with later additions. The fine peal of bells is regularly rung and the organ, which is a very fine specimen, has recently been restored.

The village boasts two well-patronised public houses, the Red Lion and the Duncombe Arms, two shops (one incorporating the post office), seven working farms and, last but not least, a working forge. Houses run the gamut from 14th century thatched cottages, Georgian and Victorian homes, modern semis, right through to ultra-modern houses and bungalows.

The life style of the village has changed greatly in the past fifty years, with the majority of the adult working population now leaving the village for employment. As there is no regular bus service most families find it necessary to own a car, while a fortunate few have two or even three cars in the family. Mothers frequently complain that they have become unpaid chauffeurs for their children!

Historically, our most auspicious visitor appears to have been Oliver Cromwell, who is reputed to have spent some time in Great Brickhill, visiting his troops who rested here for six weeks while marching from Aylesbury to Northampton during the latter part of the Civil War. The rest was evidently just what the troops needed, as two months later the Parliamentarians claimed victory. The barn in which Cromwell stayed was later converted to a dwelling; it is now a listed building and still known as Cromwell's Cottage.

Another visitor of note was Benjamin Disraeli, at the time of his campaign to become an M.P. for Buckinghamshire. He frequently visited the village as a friend of the then Lord of the Manor, Philip Duncombe. The Manor has been in the ownership of the Duncombe family since the mid-1500s and descendants are still living there today, although the original house was destroyed in 1933.

At the present time, Great Brickhill is still a village completely surrounded by open country — whether it will survive as such or whether it will eventually be swallowed up by the Milton Keynes development remains to be seen.

Article written by members of the Buckinghamshire Federation of Women's Institutes for the publication "The Buckinghamshire Village Book" (1987) and reproduced here with their permission


Notes

Description of Great Brickhill from J. J. Sheahan, 1861.

The area of the parish of Brickhill Magna or Great Brickhill, is 2,370 acres; population, 730; rateable value, £3,268. The Ousel, or Little Ouse, divides the place on the west of Fenny Stratford and Stoke Hammond. The soil is principally a dark brown sand, with a small portion of clay: towards the stream the meadows are rich. "The surface, " says Lipscomb, "is broken into bold inequalities, lofty hillocks, and narrow chasms or ravines, which render its appearance, in some parts of the parish, very picturesque. Its name, perhaps, is to denote the greater extent of the hill on which the village is built, to the site of the adjacent parishes of Bow Brickhill and Little Brickhill." In 1771, about 1,260 acres were inclosed under the provisions of an Act of Parliament.

The village, which is situated 3 miles S.E. from Fenny Stratford, is scattered and contains many neat brick cottages, having small gardens in front. The view from about the centre od it, is varied and charming. Straw plat is made here by the women and children.

Great Brickhill Manor, the seat of Sir P.D.P. Duncombe, Bart., is a large handsome mansion of brick stuccoed, most delightfully situated on an imposing site, and commanding a splendid prospect. The house has recently been thoroughly repaired. The park is extensive, and the pleasure grounds are laid out in all manner of devices, and planted with the choicest flowers and shrubs.

Education

Great Brickhill Parish (Pop. 776)

Three Infant Schools, in which are 17 males and 24 females.

Two Daily Schools, containing 45 males and 35 females, all excepting one (towards which Mrs. Duncombe contributes £5 annually) entirely supported by payments from the parents of the children.

Three Sunday Schools, in one of the Established Church, 25 males and 25 females are gratuitously instructed and clothed every Easter Sunday

The other two are attached to Anabaptists and Methodists, by whom they are supported, and consist of 30 males and 35 females. One of the last commenced in 1832.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.

Great Horwood

Introduction

Church: St James

Hundred: Cottesloe

Poor Law District: Winslow

Size (acres): 3271

Easting & Northing: 477231

Grid Ref SP770310 Click to see map

Names

 Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Great Horwood PARISH St James
Harwod NAMES name for Horwood in 1509
Harwood NAMES name for Horwood in 1766
Hereworde NAMES name for Horwood Domesday Book in 1086
Herwood NAMES name for Horwood in 1535
Horroda NAMES name for Horwood in 1512
Rodymore Hill NAMES name for Roddimore in 1756
Shinglesborough NAMES name for Singleborough in 1510
Shucklow NAMES name for Warren Farm in 1766
Shucklow Warren NAMES name for Warren Farm in 1826
Sincleberia NAMES name for Singleborough in Domesday Book in 1086
Synkleborow NAMES name for Singleborough in 1520
Congregational NON-CONFORMIST First Mentioned: 1819
Primitive Methodist NON-CONFORMIST First Mentioned: 1875
Greenway Farm PLACE within the parish
Norbury Coppice PLACE within the parish
Roddimore (Fm) PLACE within the parish
Singleborough PLACE within the parish
Six Lords Inn PLACE within the parish
Warren Farm PLACE within the parish

 

Lnks

Links

 

Buckinghamshire Remembers - War Memorial Buckinghamshire Remembers - War Memorial
Victoria County History Victoria County History
Church Stained Glass Church Stained Glass
Search The National Archives for Great+Horwood Search The National Archives for Great Horwood

Photographs

 

Photographs in our Gallery Photographs in our Gallery

These links will take you to external websites which will open in a new browser window. Bucks FHS is not responsible for nor has any control over the content of these sites. If any of these links do not work please let us know. It would be helpful if you could say which parish you were viewing and the name of the link which is broken.

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 537
1811 581
1821 688
1831 720
1841 712
1851 834
1861 846
1871 866
1881 712
1891 639
1901 554
1911 584
1921 509
1931 526
1941 N/A
1951 715
1961 596
1971 1047
1981 973
1991 980

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Great Horwood   St James   Baptisms   1600   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Great Horwood   St James   Marriages   1591   1909   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Great Horwood   St James   Burials   1599   1862   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available

 

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 VARNEY HARRUP MARKS KING
2 COOPER KING KING MARKS
3 DURRANT COOPER RIDGWAY RIDGWAY
4 CARTER VERNEY VICCARS HARRUP
5 HOBBS BRADBURY HARRUP VARNEY
6 FOSKETT HOBBS HALL HOBBS
7 SEARE BRADBERY SMITH COOPER
8 KING SHORT MUNDAY BRADBURY
9 BUTCHER CARTER YOUNG VICCARS
10 FOSKET WILLIATT JONES HALL

 

description

As early as 792 A.D. there is a reference to '10 dwellings in the wood called Horwudu'.
Our church of St James is of Norman origin being rather special in the fact that the tower is topped by a Norman 'helmet'.

During the Second World War years we have an airfield here and the village would vibrate to the sound of the engines of the Wellingtons warming up for take-off. All the R.A.F. quarters were at the back of the village away from the High Street. When the war ended we were allowed onto the Camp as it was called, to go to the cinema. Children were allowed in if accompanied by an R.A.F. person and we could sit on the floor in front of the chairs for 6d. or sit on a chair for 9d. The week Tokio Joe was shown it was packed houses and every time a Jap plane was shot out of the sky, the cheering by R.A.F. personnel and village children alike could be heard in Winslow.

Now the camp is a housing estate. The airfield is still there but is owned by a large consortium of well-known farmers and the fields between the runways are grazing for sheep and beef cattle. Intensive pig and poultry farming is also carried out.

Article written by members of the Buckinghamshire Federation of Women's Institutes for the publication "The Buckinghamshire Village Book" (1987) and reproduced here with their permission

Notes


 Description of Great Horwood from J. J. Sheahan, 1861.

The parish of Great Horwood, Horwood Magna, or Horwood-cum-Singleborough,contains altogether 3,109 acres, and 834 souls; of which 2,389 acres and 725 souls, belong to Horwood, and 720 acres and 130 persons to the hamlet of Singleborough. The rateable value of the entire parish is £3,866. The soil is a deep clay, intermixed with sand. There are about 200 acres of wood-land.
The village, which is large, and well and regularly built, forms one principal street, with an open space, called the Green, about its centre, in which a market was formerly held. It is situated on an eminence, on the verge of Whaddon Chase, 2.5 miles N. from Winslow, and 6 miles S.E. from Buckingham. The common fields of Horwood were inclosed under an Act passed in 1841.

Education

Great Horwood Parish (Pop. 610)

Three Daily Schools;

One contains 26 males, supported by subscription

The other two, 26 males and 8 females, who are instructed at the expense of their parents

Two Sunday Schools

In one of which are 29 males and 40 females (commenced 1821), who attend the Established Church

The other appertains to Independent Dissenters (commenced 1819), and consists of 38 males and 57 females, both supported by voluntary contributions.

Singleborough Hamlet (Pop. 110)

One Daily School (commenced 1829) in which 4 males and 10 females are instructed at the expense of their parent

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.

Grendon Underwood

Introduction

Church: St Leonard

Hundred: Ashendon

Poor Law District: Aylesbury

Size (acres): 2536

Easting & Northing: 468220

Grid Ref SP680200 Click to see map

Names

Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Grendon Underwood PARISH St Leonard
Grennedone NAMES name for Grendon Underwood in Domesday Book in 1086
Gryenedone NAMES name for Grendon Underwood in 1626
Baptist NON-CONFORMIST Kingswood. First Mentioned: 1841
Finemerehill House PLACE within the parish

 

Grove

Introduction

Church: St Michael and All Angels

Hundred: Cottesloe

Poor Law District: Leighton Buzzard

Size (acres): 437

Easting & Northing: 491222

Grid Ref SP910220 Click to see map

 

Names

Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Grove PARISH St Michael and All Angels
Langrave NAMES name for Grove in Domesday Book in 1086

 

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 25
1811 33
1821 18
1831 21
1841 25
1851 38
1861 19
1871 23
1881 17
1891 19
1901 19
1911 30
1921 19
1931 29
1941 N/A
1951 28
1961 12
1971 15
1981 N/A
1991 N/A

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Grove   St Michael & All Angels   Baptisms   1576   1967   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
Grove   St Michael & All Angels   Marriages   1606   1956   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
Grove   St Michael & All Angels   Burials   1577   1963   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here

 

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 BUNKER WATERS WATERS WATERS
2 WATERS SYMONS DRAPER DRAPER
3 NEWLAND NEWLAND HUMPHREY SYMONS
4 DAGNALL SYMONDS SEAR NEWLAND
5 BALENGER FOX RICKARD SYMONDS
6 WALKER WRIGHT ARNOLD HUMPHREY
7 PHILIPS RICHARDS CHERRY FOX
8 PARRATT WALTER GOODSON WRIGHT
9 HYDE SHACKLEY BIRCH WALTER
10 HALLY WALTERS WARREN RICHARDS

Notes

Description of Grove from J. J. Sheahan, 1861.

This is a very small parish on the borders of Bedfordshire, two miles south from Leighton Buzzard, and containing only 210 acres, according to the census return of 1851. One farm house, and two cottages are the whole of the residences. Population 19 souls. The Grand Junction Canal, and London and North-Western Railway pass through the parish. The soil is chiefly clay. There is an ancient mill here, situated on the river Ouse.

The Living, a discharged rectory, is valued in the King' Books at £4 13s 4d. and was held with Wing, after the manor came to the Dormers. In 1650, it was returned as a Chapel to Mentmore, and of the annual value of only £11. It was afterwards augmented by the Bounty of Queen Anne, and in 1787, Anne, Baroness Godolphin, endowed it with a yearly rent-charge of £8. Ist present value is £68 per annum. Patron Lord Overtsone.

Education

Grove Parish (Pop. 21)

No School in the parish.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.

Amersham Farms

A

ADAMS FARM


1739 Quit Rental                            D/BASM/2/14
    Manor of Tomlins
    Ralph Adams: Adams Farm

    Meadow adjoining House              3
    Mares Maid                                 5
    Little Meadow                              1
    Maunce                                      6
    Little Mares                               10
    Great Mares                              12
    Lower Brackley                            8
    Upper Brackley                           7
    Maunce Close                           14
    Pightle                                      1
    Down Field                               11
    Little Down                               10
    Three Upper Fields adjoining Barn close    19
    Lagger                                     3
    Two Nether Streets                    8
    Nether Leys                            13
                                                ___
                                               131

B

BARKERS FARM

1777 Court Books D/BASM/2/2
Admission of Elizabeth Frost dau of Elizabeth Moore
Messuage or tenement at Woodside in p A
5 closes of land adjoining
14 acres
late in occ Thomas Barker
1777 Court Books D/BASM/2/2
Sur: John Frost of Upper Charlotte Street p St Pancras Esq & Elizabeth h. w.
Ad: Isaac Eeles of Amersham Esq
1783 Land Tax Amersham Woodside
Owner: Isaac Eeles Esq Occ: Thos Barker £2 0s 0d
1798 Posse Comitatus Amersham Woodside
Thomas Barker jun farmer 1 horse, 1 cart
1800 Land Tax Amersham Woodside
Owner: Isaac Eeles Esq Occ: Thos Barker £2 0s 0d
1816 Rental John Marshall
For a messuage and lands at Woodside formerly Charles Moores afterwards John Frost Esq & wife and late Isaac Eeles Esq
in occ Thomas Barker
Copyhold 4d
1831 Land Tax Amersham Woodside
Owner T Marshall Esq Occ: G Saunders late Barker £2 0s 0d
1839 Tihe Award 385
Owner: Thomas Marshall Occ: Ann & Thomas Andrews
1880 O.S. Map Bakers Farm
1926 O.S. Map Barkers Farm
2000 Still standing

BARTLETTS FARM


1659 Purchased from John Reading Deeds 1473-1660 D/DR/2/32
1674 Rental Tomlins Manor
Will Sparkes for Bartlett farm £20 and being part Denterhold £25 0s
1681 D/DR/1/11
Lease of Bartletts Farm to Thomas Randall of Beaconsfield yeoman £50 p.a.

BELSONS FARM


1739 Quit Rental Wm Drake Esq: Henry Batchelor: Yearly rent £21 0 0
To a meesuage tenement or farmhouse fields closes pieces and parcells of ground hereinafter particularly mentioned:
All those three closes of meadow or pasture ground
adjoining his farmhouse 5 acres
One close called Penn Croft 2 1/2 acres
One other piece of Meadow 2 acres
One other close of arable land called Great Wide Field 3 acres
One other close called Middle Wide Field 2 acres
One other close called Little Wide Field 1 acre
All which said fields or closes contain alltogether 15 acres and a half
Belsons Farm now in the occupation of Batchelor in the Parish of Amersham
See also Woodside farm

BENDROSE FARM


1677 Jonas Harding paid 5s towards building the Baptist Meeting House
1690 22 Sept Will of Jonas Harding of Woodside the elder yeoman
1694 30 Dec Jonas Harding buried at Baptist Meeting House “he lieth at ye west end of ye house next to ye widow Naile who was buried in the same year at the beginning of it lying on the north side of him towards ye pales
1738 Rental
Jonas Harding in his possession
To lands late Mrs Bovingdon’s Joynture 3s 8d
For lands late John Bovingdon’s 2s 11d
For Lands late his father’s 5s 9d
NB These premises are charged in the quit rent roll as follows viz:
Jonas Harding the elder and Jonas harding the younger for the house wherein John Bovingdon lived and the farm at Woodside late Bovingdon’s the half year 6s 4d
Jonas Harding the elder for house and land thereto belonging late his father’s the half year 5s 9d which together for the half year 12s 1d whereof he pays as per severall old records as above is charged in the column viz: 12s 4 1/2d the hald year
1762 5 May Will of Jonas Harding the elder of Amersham gent
To son Jonas Harding
Pond Broadfield with the hedgerow there bel or adj
Middle Broadfield
Wood Broadfield
Colins Grove otherwise Hunts Field with the wood & wood ground also adj thereto
Two Hollow Fields
Grove Field with a hedgerow of wood thereto also bel or adj
6 acres of freehold land in Upper Stoney Field
9 acres of freehold land in Middle Stoney & Lower Stoney Fields
2 acres of freehold land in Bottom Close otherwise the Lagger
4 acres of freehold land in Footpath Field
Parcel of meadow ground called Turney Mead
1765 30 March Will of Jonas Harding the elder of Amersham gent proved by William Harding & John Harding sons & joint executors
1770 26 Sept Then Mrs Harding wife of Mr William Harding & Mrs Harding wife of Mr Jonas Harding were both baptised at Chesham at ye baptistry in the meeting house by Brother Caleb Cock
1783 land tax Amersham Woodside
Mr Jonas Harding Himself for Houses & Land £10 12s 0d
1793 Quit Rental
Jonas Harding one year 13s 3d
1798 Posse Comitatus Amersham Woodside
Jonas Harding farmer infirm 4 horses 3 wagons 3 carts
1800 land tax Amersham Woodside
Jonas Harding House Land and Wood £10 12s 0d
1800 Map of Beel House Mrs Harding on south west boundary BAS Maps 2
1816 Rental Sergeant, John esq
For a messuage & 40 acres of land at Woodside formerly
Mrs Bovingdon’s afterwards Jonas Harding & late Geo Freehold 6s 1d
Lawson Esq late in the occupation of the said Jonas Harding now of
For 14 acres of land at Woodside formerly the said
Mrs Bovingdon’s afterwards the said Jonas Harding’s & late Copyhold 1s 3d
the said Geo Lawson’s late in the occupation of the said
Jonas Harding now of
For other lands containing about 74 acres at Woodside formerly
John Bovingdon’s afterwards the said Jonas Harding’s & late Freehold 5s 11d
the said Geo Lawson’s late in the occupation of the said
Jonas Harding now of
1831 Land Tax Amersham Woodside
Chas Sargant Esq: Robt Toms £10 12s 0d
1831 Voters list
Jones Robert, Bendrose Farm farm and lands as joint occupier
Jones Robert jun., Bendrose Farm farm and lands as joint occupier
Sargeaunt, Charles 17 Spring Gardens London Freehold Farm Bendrose Farm
1839 Tithe Award 367 Bendrose Farm
Owner: Charles Sergeant Esq Occ: William Partridge
343 Grove Field
344 Lower Hants
345 Upper Hants
346 Middle Stoney
347 Lower Stoney
348 Lagger Field
350 Upper stoney
351 Long Field
352 Lower Hollow Field
353 Upper Hollow Field
354 Wood Broad Field
355 Middle Broad Field
356 Pond Broad Field
357 Lower Heath Field
358 Upper Heath Field
359 Upper Maudlin
211 Maudlin
361 Isle of Wight
362 Foot Path Field
363 Primrose Field
364 Pye Field
365 Great Bendrose
366 Little Bendrose
367 Homestead & orchard
368 Barn Meadow
369 Beech Meadow
370 Ley Field
175 acres
1851 Census Woodside Bendrose Farm
Jacob Hatch 57 farmer 176 acres 7 men
1903 Directory Clark, Annie (Mrs) farmer Bendrose

C

COKES FARM
 
1657 Gravestone at Cokes Farm

    Within this place lies the body of  Mr Richard Grimsdell who purchased this estate and died 1657 and his wife
    Mr Richard Grimsdell his son who died in 1716 aged 64 and Jane his wife who died in     1730 aged 86
    Mr Richard Grimsdell the only son of Mr Richard Grimsdell by Jane his wife who died in 1712 .... 4 daughters coheirs of the estate
    And of Miss Jane Grimsdell one of the coheirs of the said Mr Richard Grimsdell by Hannah his wife in memory of whom his affectionate wife hath erected this stone in 1739

1669    Answers to Archbishop Sheldon’s Questions to the Clergy concerning Non-conformists
    Jews, so called because they observe Saturday Sabbath. They meet at one Sarah     Grimsdell’s house, a widow at Woodside in this parish. One Nicholas Babb of this town     and a weaver by trade is often their preacher, and sometimes they meet at Babb’s own     house in the town. These Jews have had their meetings ever since I came hither to this     place.


1706 15 May     Marriage Settlement of Richard & Hannah Grimsdale    D/LO/1/39/2

    1) Richard Grimsdale the elder of Woodside Amersham yeoman & Jane his wife
    2) Daniel Beck of Amersham blacksmith
        Peter Loatman of Little Missenden yeoman
    3) Richard Grimsdale the younger son & heir apparnent of Richard Grimsdale the elder
        Hannah Grimsdale of Amersham widow

    Houndsfield (Amersham)                    5a
    3 closes called Ashmer Fields (Chalfont St Giles)        27a
    Five acres - 4a of Upper Harridge Downs
               1 a of Houndsfield(Chalfont St Giles)        5a
    2 closes called Doggetts (Chalfont St Giles)            16a

    Messuage called Cokes in which Richard Grimsdale the elder lives
    Orchard Field                            5a
    Long Orchard                            2 1/2a
    Oldwell                                     5a
    Barwell                                    4a
    Hatch Piece & land taken out of Lagger            14a
    Apshedge                                        6a
    Close of arable land & woodground
        formerly 2 closes & 2 hedgerow       10a
    Wafers Grove                                     4a
    Stubbs Croft                                      6a
    Cozens Croft                                      1a
    Stewards Fields & 3a of Dell Field         23a
    Cokes Field                                       7a
    Upper & Nether Foxholes                    26a
    Laggers                                             6a
    Bottom Close                                     3a
    Footpath Close                                   3a
    Maudlins                                           4a
    Next House Orchard                            2a
    Plot behind Orchard                            1a
    All in Amersham in occ Richard Grimsdale the elder
            __________________________

1712 Gravestone at Cokes Farm
    Mr Richard Grimsdell the only son of Mr Richard Grimsdell by Jane his wife who died in 1712 .... 4 daughters coheirs of the estate
    And of Miss Jane Grimsdell one of the coheirs of the said Mr Richard Grimsdell by Hannah his wife in memory of whom his affectionate wife hath erected this stone in 1739


N.B. Richard Grimsdale the younger died leaving three daughters:
    Hannah m. John Anthony of Hughenden
    Jane Grimsdale deceased
    Mary m. John Wells of Burston Bucks
    Sarah m (1) West  (2) William East

Sun Insurance 35305    13 April 1725            11936/18

Hannah Grimsdall of the Parish of Amersham widow

For her house and malthouse and other outhouses adjoining and now in the possession
    of William Healey
And One Tenement near the same Yard in the possession of Widow Pearce     £
    situate in the Town aforesaid
For the House in possession of William Healey                100
The Malt Office & outhouses                                          140
The tenement in possession of Widow Pearce                   60
                                                                               ____
                                                                                300

            ______________________________

1731 15 March Marriage settlement of John Anthony & Hannah Grimsdale D/LO/1/39/5

    1) Hannah Grimsdale of Woodside Amersham spinster one of daus & coheirs of Richard Grimsdale the younger late of Woodside Amersham deceased
    2) Walker Norwood of Uxbridge mealman
    3) John Anthony of Hughenden yeoman
            ___________________________


1739 Quit Rental    Manor of Tomlins
    Heirs of Richard Grimsdeale: in their possession
    Messuage called Cokes and lands called Stubbs Croft  Quit Rent  9s 0d

1751 30 May                                D/LO/1/39/15
    1) James Harding of Amersham yeoman
        Richard Norwood of Amersham currier
    2) John Wells of Great Marlow yeoman & Mary his wife formerly Mary Grimsdale
    3) Isaac Eeles of Amersham Esq
    1/3 part of premises

1787 20 January                            D/LO/1/39/34
    1) Richard Allen of the Bury Farm Amersham gent
    2) John Lawrence of Amersham gent
    3) Isaac Eeles late of Amersham now of Wilmington Kent Esq
    4) Kender Mason of Hatton Street p St Andrew Holborn Esq
    5) Peter Hedman Elliston of Birchin Lane City of London Esq

    Cokes Farm (See 1706)
    And part of Reeves Farm formerly Woodside Farm viz:

     a
   Little Croft  3 
   Lower Westfield  9 
   Upper Westfield  8 
   Stony Butts 18 
   Upper Stoney Hill  9 
   Lower Stoney Hill  3 37 
   Upper Pond Field  4 38 
   Lower Pond Field  3 19
   Little Reddings  3 26 
   Great Reddings  8 18 
   Piece in Turney Mead  0  7 
   Stanley Wood  9  8 
         

1824 Bryants map  Cokes farm
1831 Voters List 
    Holt, William, Woodside Farm and lands as occupier, Cokes Farm
    Mason, Henry William Broadstairs, Isle of Thanet  Freehold Farm  Cokes Farm
1839 Tithe Award 305 Cokes farm
    Owner: William Lowndes  Occ: William Campion 191 acres
1851 Census Cokes Farm Amersham Common
    William Campion 43 farmer258 acres 15 men
1903 Directort  Moore, Robert farmer
1925 V.C.H. Occupied by Mr Robert Moore.
1931 Directory Schuyler Mrs A  Cokes Farm
1939 Directory Wilcox, Mrs Herbert Cokes Farm
 
 
 
 CRABTREE FARM
 
 
1824 Bryants Map Crabtree Farm (N W Amersham Common)
1839 Tythe Award  274 Part of Loudham’s farm (On map Colemans Farm)
    Owner: Hon Charles Compton Cavendish  Occ: David Eggleton 53 acres
1851 Census Colemans farm Ann Andrews w 51 parish relief
1869 Directory Brookes, John farmer Colemans Farm

 

H

 HYRONS FARM
 
 1597  13 Oct                                D/DRD/2/123

    1) Henry Harding the elder of  Woodside yeoman
    2) Henry Harding the younger son and heir apparent husbandman

    All that his messuage or tenement called Heiroynes situate standing and being at Woodside aforesaid together with all and singular the lands tenements meadows crofts pastures feedings woods underwoods commons commodities rents reversions emoluments profits whatsoever to the said messuage or tenement belonging.... to be held of the chief lord of the fee by the serevice and rent heretofore due and of right accustomed

    Henry Harding the elder to have use of the house for life and 32s per annum

    subject to rent of 33s 4d out of two closes called Woodcrofts parcel of the premises     payable to Thomas Harding another of the sons of Henry Harding the elder

            _______________________________

1685  1 Oct

    1) John Harding of Amersham yeoman and Mary his wife
    2) Henry Morton of Chalfont St Peter yeoman

    £600

    All that messuage or tenement wherein the said John Harding now dwells called Heroynes     situate standing and being at Woodside  33 acres

    Amyats Close 2 a

            _________________________________



1738 Rental Henry Moreton
    House and land at Woodside formerly Nicholas Babbs    2s 4d
    House and land where Wm Eeles lately dwelt        5s 2d
    House and land thereunto belonging late his fathers    8s 6d


1808D/DR/2/123  Messuage or Farmhouse called Herons or Heroynes
        Eeles farmhouse now 2 cottages
        2 cottages called Babbs (earlier messuage called Holders)
        3 cottages in occ Thomas Jordan & others
        blacksmith’s shop
        freehold & copyhold land 120 acres at Woodside & elsewhere in Amersham
        from Henry Morten 1808  

        Deeds 1597-1808

1816 Rental    
    For a house and land at Woodside formerly Richard Babbs afterwards Thomas     Morten’s since Henry Morten’s and late the said T D T Drake heretofore in the occupation of the said Henry Morten and now of John Craft        4s 8d

    For another house and other lands at Woodside formerly the said Thomas Morten’s     afterwards the said Henry morten’s and late the said T D T Drakes heretofore in the      occupation of Wm Eeles  late of the said Henry Morten and now of the said John Craft and his undertenants            Part Copyhold        10s 4d

    For another house and other lands at Woodside formerly the said Thos Morten’s     afterwards the said Henry Morten’s and late the said T D T Drake’s heretofore in the     occupation of the said Henry Morten and now of the said John Craft and his undertenants                            17s 0d

    For a house and orchard aAmersham common formerly Joseph Preston’s afterwards John     Andrew’s since the said Henry morten’s and late the said T D T Drakes heretofore in the  occupation of  now of  Copyhold    1s 8d
    
1824 Bryants Map  Irons Farm
1839 Tithe Award Heroynes Farm 271 acres
    Owner: T T Drake  Occ: James Williams
 10 Ten Acres  arable  10 15 
 63  Lower Seven Acres  arable  6 2 15
 64   Seven Acres  arable  7 26 
 68  Further Redding  arable  12  0 33 
 69  Baldwin’s Field  arable  14  1  16
 70  Hither Redding   arable  12  2  8
 71  Little Windmill Field  arable  4  1  9
 72  Great windmill Field  arable  15  5
 73  Germans  arable  10 0 34 
 74  Sandpit Field  arable  10 22 
 75  Corner Field  arable   9 38 
 76  Water Shot Field  arable  11 35 
 77  Twelve Acres  arable  12 14 
 78  May Plot  arable   4 2 13 
 100  Bottom Field  arable  11 20 
 101  Lower Field  arable   6 18 
 103  Little Stanley  arable   7 0 33 
 105  Lower Long Field  arable  8 31 
 106  Black Acre  arable  11 26 
 107  Grubbed Ground  arable  9
 108  Long Croft       arable  6  1  36
 109  Little Top Lane Field  arable  3  3  14
 113  Orchard Croft    arable  3  2  22
 114  Eeles Homestread & meadow  grass  2  2  25
 115  Shepherds Close  grass  5  1  12
 116  Lower Mead  grass  2  2  3
 117  Homestead & Orchard  grass  4  3  17
 118  Askew Wood Field  arable  7  2  7
 119  Meadow Field  arable  5  2  3
 120  Great Top Lane Field  arable  4 35 
 121  Six Acres  arable  6 25 
 123  Bachelors Wood Field  arable  9 34 
 138  Belsons Homestead & Orchard  grass  4
 159  Belsons Close  arable  2 2 16 
 167  Belsons Meadow  grass  9 1  15
 168  Allotment  grass  19 3  34
 199  Souths Allotment  arable  17  26
 214  Holdens Close  arable  5 3  2
 220  Warners  arable  5  3 33 
 221  Little Bates  arable  2 3 23 
 222  Burying Ground  grass  1 14 
 223  Briery Field  arable  10 15 
       ---- -- ---
       352  1  9
         

1851 Census  Herons Farm
    James Williams 56 Farmer 358 acres 14 labourers
1883 Directory Williams, George Herons Farm
1903 Directory  Payne, John farmer Hyrons Farm
1910 Valuation
    Owner: W W Drake  Occ: Frank Lisley        105 acres
    Owner: W W Drake Occ: Shardeloes Estate
                Parkfield Estate part sold 33 acres
1911 Directory
    Lisley, Frank farmer Hyrons Farm
 

L

 LOWER BOTTOM HOUSE FARM


1739 Quit Rental
    
    Wm Drake Esq: Thomas Hill Yearly Rent £55 0s 0d
    Meassuage tenement or farmhouse called or known by the name of Bottom Fram
    Stockbury Meadow              3
    Dell Field                         12
    Long Platt                         1
    Stable Croft                      5
    Six Acres                          6
    Three acres                      3
    Five Acres                         5
    Nine Acres                        9
    Orchard Platt                    1
    Apple Tree Field               7
    Lotts Field                        8
    Stoney Dell                      9
    Mares                             7
    Wooffield                       14
    Widefield                        15
    Holy Croft                       16
    Upper Wagdens                7
    Middle Wagdens               9
    Great Wagdens               16
    Durgins Hill                     12
                                       ___
                                       165

1777 Rental Bottom Farm  Mr Harvey  £59 10s  173 acres
        Whelpleys Farms Mr Harvey £121 0s    96 acres
        Stockings Farm Mr Harvey        164 acres
1831 Voters List Coates, Alfred Farm and lands as occupier Lower Bottom Farm
1839 Tithe Award 869  Bottom & Whelpleys Farm
    Owner: T T Drake  Occ: Alfred Coates
1851 Census Thomas Gurney 40 Farmer 300 acres 15 men
1903 Directory Williamson, Thomas farmer Bottom House Farm

M

 MANTLES GREEN FARM
 1903 Directory Butler, Thomas Bailiff to Capt Thomas Henry Tyrwhitt Drake Mantles Green Farm
 
 MOODY'S FARM
1762 Will of Jonas Harding the elder of Amersham gent proved 30 March 1765

    To son John Harding

    All that my messuage or tenement wherein I now dwell situate and being in the parish of     Amersham aforesaid together with the four orchards and four closes of land thereto     belonging with half an acre of wood and wood ground be the same more or less lying and     being in a certain wood called Stanley Wood and all other outhouses buildings barns stables     yards gardens other orchards backsides hedges ditches trees mounds fences .......

1772    `                            D/BASM/2/2
    Sur: Joseph Hill of Woodside Amersham yeoman
    Ad: John Harding of Amersham gent & Mary his wife

    Wilmotts in occ John Harding

1779     Church Book of Amersham
    The new Meeting House was built by John Harding at his own expense and finished at     Christmas 1779
1783 Land Tax
    Mr John Harding: himself for house & land    £4 6s 0d
    ditto        himself for house & land    £3 4s 9d   
            Samuel Hunt                 6s 0d
1791 July Church Book of Amersham
    John Harding put up the fence against arbour field
1797 25 April    Church Book of Amersham
    25 April Death of John Harding of Amersham Common
1797 PCC Will John Harding of Amersham gent
1800 Land Tax
    Mrs Harding: house & land    £4 6s 0d
    ditto        late Hills    £3 4s 9d   
            late Hunt’s         6s 0d
1815 Enclosure Map
    141-3 T M Moody
1831 Land Tax
    Mrs Moody: G Saunders        £4 6s 0d

1839 Tithe Award
    Owner:John Goater & Henry Nicholes Trustees of Ann Heather
    Occupier: James Dyer

    414 Long Field                     arable    3  1  35
    415 Further Field                  arable    2  0  12
    416 Great Field                    arable    3  3  10
    417 Orchard                        grass      2  1  19
    418 Homestead & Orchard    Grass     2  1  38
    419 Common Field              Arable    2  1   8
    420 Allotment                     Grass     2  0  26

1871 Census Moody’s Farm
    Richard Ball  farmer 17 1/2 acres
1881 Census Moody’s Farm
    Richard Ball 58 farmer of 20 acres
1891 Census Moody’s Farm
    Richard Ball 70 farmer
1907 Directory Motion, Sydney  The Common
1910 Valuation 734
    Motion S.H.: Motion S.H. Stanley Wood House
1911 Directory Motion, Sydney H Stanley Wood House The Common
1912 RCHM Stanley Wood House
1915 Directory Motion, Sydney H Stanley Wood House The Common
1920 Directory
    ? Rendle H.C. Little Reeves White Lion Road
1924 Directory
    ? Rendle H.C. Little Reeves White Lion Road
1925 O.S. Map House still there
1931 Directory
    ? Rendle H.C. Little Reeves White Lion Road
Little Reeves Avenure built on site
 
 

Q

QUARRENDON FARM
 1739 Quit Rental                        D/BASM/2/14

    Wm Drake Esq: Jos Anthony
    Quarrendon Farm Manor of Tomlins

    Meadow adj farmhouse                                       2
    Cowpasture adj Gore Hill                                    16
    Gutter grove adj do                                             2
    Broad Close adj Mouldy Close                             14
    Mouldy close adj Great Grove    Field                    16
    Little Grove Field abutting on Puddiford Lane        10
    Great Grove Field abutting do                              22
    Quarrendon pightle  adj Great grove Field              7
    Little Quarrendon adj Widmer Field                       6
    Great Quarrendon                                             12
    Widmer Field adj Upper Deadly Grove                  16
    Upper Deadly Grove adj Cozens Croft                  11
    Lowes do adj Turney Mead                                   8
    Cozens Croft adj Home Field                              16
    Little Home Field                                               10
    Great Home Field adj Great Hurdle Croft              14
    Little Hurdle Croft adj do                                   10
    Great Hurdle Croft adj Little do                           14
    Great Tomlins adj Little Tomlins                         14
    Little Tomlins adjBryery Close                              6
    Bryery Close abutting Puddefords Lane                 6
    Turney Mead                                                     4
                                                                        ___
                                                                       236



1777 Rental Quarrendon Farm  J Anthony  £79  277 acres

Sun Insurance 416385  13 July 1779                11936/274

Henry Anthony of Quarrendeon Farm in the parish of Amersham in Bucks     £
On his household goods in his now dwellinghouse situate as aforesaid      70
Wearing apparel                                                                       30
Utensils & stock Viz: Wheat Barn, Cowhouse & Offices adjoining
    timber & tiled                                                                      100
In the Barley Barn & Offices under one roof timber & tiled              80
In a Stable & Granary under one roof timber & tiled                      80
In a Barn & Carthouse thatched                                                  20
In the Rick Yard                                                                       80
                                                                                             ____
                                                                                            460


1779 Sun Insurance 408781  22 Jan 1779                11936/271

Richard Lee & Edward Smith of Amersham in Bucks waggoners        £

On utensils & stock & goods in trust Viz: in their Warehouse only in the Kings Arms
    Inn Yard at Holborn Bridge brick & timber                       100
For their Stables only adjoining                                         150
In the said Yard only                                                       350
In their Stables only adjoining at Amersham aforesaid         250
For their Barn at Collingwood Yard at Amersahm                   50
                                                                                   ____
                                                                                    900
                _________________

1783 Land Tax  Amersham Woodside
    Owner: Wm Drake  Occ: Lee & Smith late Anthony  £8  14s 6d
1798 Posse Comitatus Amersham Woodside
    Richard Lee farmer  lame  12 horses, 3 wagons 5 carts
    Richard Lee jun farmer
1800 Land tax Amersham Woodside
    Owner: T T Drake  Occ: Messrs Lee & Smith  £10 10s 6d
1851 Census Quarrendon Farm
    Philip Goddard 43 farmer 380 acres 31 men
1903 Directory  Brown, John farmer Quarrendon Farm
 

 

R

 REEVES FARM

 1731    Sur: Timothy Harding sen of Woodside p Amersham yeoman & Elizabeth h. w.
            Timothy Harding his son
    Ad: Ann Mellor of Chenies

All that Messuage with appurts called Reeves with 25 acres of arable land and pasture late     in ten of said Timothy Harding and Ralph Belch situate & being in Woodside p Amersham
            _____________________________
1755                                    D/BASM/2/1
    Sur: Ann Mellor of Chenies widow
    Ad: Isaac Eeles of Amersham Esq

    All that Messuage with appurtenances called Reeves
    35 acres in occ said Ann Mellor and Joseph Saunders
            ___________________________
1763    Admission of Isaac Eeles on death of Isaac Eeles of Amersham Esq his father
            ___________________________

1783 Land Tax Amersham Woodside
    Owner: Isaac Eeles:  Joseph Saunders jun £8 6s

1787 20 January                            D/LO/1/39/34

    1) Richard Allen of the Bury Farm Amersham gent
    2) John Lawrence of Amersham gent
    3) Isaac Eeles late of Amersham now of Wilmington Kent Esq
    4) Kender Mason of Hatton Street p St Andrew Holborn Esq
    5) Peter Hedman Elliston of Birchin Lane City of London Esq

    Cokes Farm (See 1706)
    And part of Reeves Farm formerly Woodside Farm viz:
   

   
Little Croft    0  3
Lower Westfield   2  1  9
Upper Westfield    2  8
Stony Butts    1  18
Upper Stoney Hill    0  9
Lower Stoney Hill    3  37
Upper Pond Field    0  38
Lower Pond Field   3  19
Little Reddings   3  26
Great Reddings   8  18
Piece in Turney Mead   0   7
Stanley Wood   9   8

                           
1800  Land Tax  Amersham Woodside
    Owner: H Pomroy Mason Esq: Joseph Saunders £8 6s
1820 D/DR/2/144 125 1/2 acres  in Amersham
    2 cottages at Woodside
    copyhold messuage called Reeves and land belonging
    All formerly the estate of Kender Mason
    Deeds 1728-1820  Plan on deed 1820
    From William Henry Pomeroy formerly Mason and others
1824 Bryants Map  Reeves Farm
1839 Tithe Award 408 Reeves Farm
    Owner: T T Drake  Occ: James Rogers

 406  Hog Pond Field  arable 1 19 
 407  Elm Field  grass 3 22 
 408  Homestead & Orchard  grass
 409  Orchard Field  arable 22 
 410  Ley Field  arable
 411  Long Field  arable 21 
 412  Long Field Butts  arable
 413  Grove Field  arable 19 5
 422  Mote field  arable 12  2
 423  Lime Field  arable    8  2 28
 424  Stoney Dean  arable    9  1  0
 425  Stoney Butts  arable  15  0  14
 426  China Croft  arable    5  0  15
 428  Upper Old Lands  arable    7  2  29
 429  Lagger  arable    8  3  28
      ---- -- ---
      118   2  12


1851 Census James Rogers Farmer 200 acres  12 men
1861 Census Reeves Farm Cottage Thomas Preen 61 farm labourer
1871 Census Reeves Farm Elizabeth Preen 72
1891 Census Reeves farm
    George Hill 34 butter dealer
    Daniel Harding 60 farm bailiff
1912 RCHM Photo

S

    STOCKINGS FARM

1637                                    D/DRD/2/22
    1) Rt Hon Francis Earl of Bedford
        Rt Hon Sir William Russell Kt son & heir apparent
    2) William Drake of Shardeloes Amersham Esq

    Conveyance of Manor of Amersham including
    Stockings farm in occ Walter son of Henry Tredway gent deceased leased to the said     Henry by Edward Earl of Bedford 15 May 16 James I for 90 years or lives of the said     Walter Tredway Daniel Readinge and Henry Wyngfield at £9 p.a.

1692 Ledger  Edward Babb  Stocking Farm in Coleshill Hamlet £50 p.a.

1694 Deeds D/DRD/2/42

1777 Rental Bottom Farm  Mr Harvey  £59 10s  173 acres
        Whelpleys Farms Mr Harvey £121 0s    96 acres
        Stockings Farm Mr Harvey        164 acres

T


TOMLINS FARM


1605 Deeds to manor of Tomlins D/DRD/2/31
1657 Tomlins manor bought from Richard Stydolf (VCH)
1674 Rental  
    Bought of Treadway  Tomlins Manor
    Ralph Trumper for Tomlins Farm  £34  8s
    James Ball for ye Denterhold lands £11 10s
    Will Sparkes for Bartlett farm £20 and being part Denterhold £25 0s
    Jo Day for part of ye Denterhold lands a barnett & a peece of ground £17 0s
    Mr Robert Styles for Whelpley Farm by lease    £13 10s

TOWN FARM


1692 Ledger    John Charsley    
    House & backside adjoining to the almshouses & a close called Mill Platt  £5 p.a.
1698 Rent Book                        D/DR/2/18
    John Charsley 1/4 years rent for his house & orchard near the Almshouses £2 10s 0d
1723 Rental                            D/DR/2/26
    John Charsley for house & meadow £8 0 0
1739 Rental
    Wm Drake Esq: Mr Squire for a house and an orchard 1 acre Yearly rent £6 0 0
    Wm Drake Esq; Almshouses
    Stephen Squire:  Thos Woodbridge     for a house        )
              Step How        ditto            )    5 1/2d
              Martha Humphrey    ditto            )
              Daniel Leared        for part of Pratts    )
1742 Map 81-4 Step Squire [Cottages east of almshouses]
1744 19 March  Will of Stephen Squire the elder of Amersham carpenter
    Leaves to son Stephen Squire
    Messuage or Tenement farm lands and estate called Nightingales in the Parish of Penn
    Four several messuages cottages or tenements situate and being in Amersham aforesaid     and now in the several tenures or occupations of Thomas Rayment William Cooper     Thomas Hentin and Henry Woodbridge

    Leaves to wife Hannah for life then to son Stephen
    Messuage cottage or tenement situate and being in Wielden Street in Amersham     aforesaid now in the tenure or occupation of James Nash cordwainer
    Proved 25 Jan 1759

1745 Rental                            D/BASM/2/16
    Wm Drake Esq: Mr Squire: for a house
    ditto          Almshouses
    Steph Squire:       Hen Woodbridge    )
              Thos Henting        )    4 tenements
              Wm Cooper        )
              Thos Rayment    )

1756 8 May Bap Stephen son Stephen & Mary Squire
1757 30 Sept  Bap Thomas son Stephen & Mary Squire  
1759 9 Jan Burial of Stephen Squire carpenter
1765 Window Tax Mr Stephen Squier 13 windows
1773 10 July Burial of Stephen Squire

1783 31 Jan                            D/DRD/2/116
    1) Thomas Squire late of Cupids Bridge Lambeth now Cornet of HM Troop of Horse     Guards only brother & heir of Stephen Squire of Amersham a minor deceased and also     one of the sons of StephenSquire the younger who was eldest son of Stephen Squire the     elder who was the only son and heir of Stephen Squire of Amersham carpenter
    2) William Weller the elder of Amersham brewer

    [Sale of cottages to east of Almshouses]

1783    Land Tax
    Wm Drake Esq: Thomas Plaistowe for Platt late Squires    4s 0d
1816 Rental
    T T Drake For three houses in the High Street near the Amshouses formerly Thomas     Squires afterwards William Weller & late the said T D T Drakes in the occ Thomas     Shrimpton   Hawkins and Thos Whitmell [cottages to east of Almshouses]

1839 Tithe Award 556
    Owner T T Drake  Occ: Sarah Trone    Houses yard & garden
                John Earle

    554 Town Farm
    Owner T T Drake  Occ: John Earle
    554 Homestead & orchard        grass    0  3    17
    575 Upper Round Dell             arable   6   0   37
    576 Lower Round Dell             arable    3   3  25
    578 Child Lane Meadow          grass     9   0   9
    588 Little Wood Field              arable   2   1   9
    589 Baldwins Field                 arable    11  2  21
    590 Pipers Close                   arable    7   0   34
    593 Giles Field                      arable    7   2   9
    594 Eeles Homestead & close arable    1   1   28
    720 Deep Dean                    arable     9   2  7
    573 Great Round Dell            arable    10  2  32
                                                          __________
                                                           74  3  27

1841 Census [next to Almshouses]
    John Earle 35 farmer
1851 Census William Salter 36 farmer 108a 7 men
1881 Census Mary Williams 55 brazier & cow ....
        Frederick P Williams son 17 builder’s apprentice
1891 Directory Williams Mary (Mrs) brazier High Street
1891 Census Mary Williams 65 farmer
1899 Directory Williams, M & Sons agricultural implement repairers & general plumbers High     Street
1910 Valuation
    Drake, W W T: Hoare, A.P. Hoare  Town Farm
                        Land    37a 1r 37p
1911 Directory Goare, Alfred dairy High Street
1912 RCHM 28
    House, probably formerly an inn, now two cottages, adjoining 27 {Swan Inn], is of two     storeys and an attic, built in the 17th century and altered in the 18th century. The front is     of red brick with black headers, and has a large covered gateway, inserted or made     higher in the 18th century.
1931 Hoare, Alfred farmer Town Farm
1935 Directory Barret, John farmer Town Farm
1939 Directory Hine, Sidney Victor Town Farm High Street
1952 Directory Town Farm Palmer, E. H.

U

 UPPER BOTTOM FARM


1763                                    D/BASM 2/1
    Admission of David Ball on death of Henry Ball
    Bottom House parish of Amersham county of Herts late in the occupation of Henry Ball     now of David Ball his son

1765                                    D/BASM/2/1
    Presented Death of Mrs Duncombe held freely farm and lands called Bottom Farm in     the occ of Widow Carter
    Yearly rent of £1 8s 3d

1788    D/DR/2/102  Copyhold messuage called Bottom House in Amersham Herts from Robert     Welch 1788  Deeds 1603-1788

1816    Rental  John Grove
    For a Messuage and certain lands thereunto belonging called Bottom Farm formerly     Henry Childs afterwards Mrs Duncombe’s and late John Gaunt Esq hereto in occ Henry     carter late John Curtis now of George Grove

1839    Tithe Award  860-66 etc
    Owner: John Grove Esq  Occ: William Wilson

    860    Five Acres
    861    High Field
    862    Dell Field
    863    Bottom Plot
    864    Homestead and Orchard
    865    Apple Tree Field
    866    Cherry Tree Close
    878    Bow Field
    880    Little Sands
    881    Great Sands
    885    Old Road
    886    Lower Ashwell
    887     Penn Wood Field
    888    Penn Field
    895     Middle Ashwell
    896    Lower Doggetts
    898    Little Doggetts
    899     Upper Ashwell
    900     Two Acres
    901)
    902)    Cottage Field and Garden

1851 Census Upper Bottom Farm
    George Worster 33 farmer 130 acres 7 men
1903 Directory Worcester, Edwin farmer Upper Bottom House Farm

 

W

 WEDON HILL FARM


1649 Will of William Child, Weedon Hill, Amersham, yeoman    We  38  46    Wf  38  26
1674 Rental John Bowndon for Weedon Hill Farm  £55
1777 Rental Wedon Hill Farm  J Towne  Rent: £93 15s  209 acres
1783 Land Tax Amersham Woodside
    Wm Drake Esq: Mrs Ann Towne Wedon Hill Farm  £21 2s 8d
1800 Land Tax Amersham Woodside
    Owner: T T Drake  Occ: James Lovett  £21  2s 8d
1831 Voters List Saunders, Thomas, Weedon Hill Farm and lands as occupier Weedon Hill     Farm
1839 Tithe Award  4
    Owner: T T Drake  Occ: Thomas Saunders  291 acres
1847 Directory Saunders, Isaac  Wedon Hill
1851 census Wedon Hill farm
    Henry Lazenby 33 Farmer 318 acres 22 men
1903 Directory Archer, charles farmer Wedon Hill Farm


 WHELPLEYS FARM


1661 Bought from Robert Style Deeds 1653, 1661 D/DR/2/34
1674 Rental Tomlins Manor
    Mr Robert Styles for Whelpley Farm by lease    £13 10s
1683 Lease of Whelpleys Farm to Nathaniel Ball of Coleshill    D/DR/1/15
1777 Rental Bottom Farm  Mr Harvey  £59 10s  173 acres
        Whelpleys Farms Mr Harvey £121 0s    96 acres
        Stockings Farm Mr Harvey        164 acres
1783 Land Tax Amersham Woodside
    Owner: Wm Drake  Occ: Thos Harvey  Bottom House Farm £8 12s 6d
                    do     for land in Stockbury Mead  4s 4d
                    do    for late Vauser    £6  2s 6d
1800 Land Tax Amersham Woodside
    Owner: T T Drake  Occ: Thos Harvey    £8 12s 6d
                    do    for land in Stockberry Mead  4s 4d
                    do    for Whelpleys  £6  2s  6d
                    do    for late Adams £4  0s  0d
1839 Tithe Award 869  Bottom & Whelpleys Farm
    Owner: T T Drake  Occ: Alfred Coates

 WILMOTS FARM


1734                                D/BASM/2/1

    Sur: Joseph Child of Amersham gent
    Ad: Richard Hill of Rickmansworth husbandman

    All that Messuage or Tenement with appurtenances called or known by the name of     Wilmotts situate and being in the parish of Amersham

    40 acres now in the tenure or occupation of Thomas Ashby and Richard Bryant

1741                                D/BASM/2/1

    Sur: Richard Hill late of Rickmansworth then of Chalfont St Peter husbandman
    Ad: Joseph Hill of Woodside Amersham yeoman

    Wilmotts  40 acres then in occ Joseph Hill


1772    `                            D/BASM/2/2

    Sur: Joseph Hill of Woodside Amersham yeoman
    Ad: John Harding of Amersham gent & Mary his wife

    Wilmotts in occ John Harding

1799 26 July Contract for redemption of land tax        D/LO/6/11/1/6
    Mary Harding of Amersham widow
    Two messuages and several pieces of land
    Two cottages
    In hamlet of Woodside

1812    11 Aug Depositions of John Grace Thomas Barker and Richard Green as to ownership of     Wilmots Farm Woodside Amersham


1816 Rental
    Harding, Mary: For a house and lands thereto belonging at Woodside called Wilmots     formerly Joseph Hills & late John Hardings late in the occ of herself % now of Thomas     Morten & Kender Mason Esq    

    Copyhold Enfranchised under the Amersham Inclosure Act subject to a rent of 5/-


1824 Bryants Map Wilmots (S E Beel House)

1851 Census James Rogers 65 farmer 200 acres 12 men

WOODROW FARM (1) SP 939 960


1739 Rental John Child: In his own occupation
    Tenement called Fosters at Woodrow
    For another tenement next to that
    For a close called Dowse Croft
    For 4 crofts formerly Edward Childs
    For Street Fields
    
    For lands formerly Gillmores        )
    Colliers Croft Coppice Hill Field    )
    and the hedgerows thereto belonging )    )    in all 29 acres
    Orchard Field and the Great orchard    )
    
    For a close of land called Home Field
    For land formerly Russells
    For 3 closes bought of  Tim: Child
    called Home Field Hill Field and
    Orchard Field formerly Biggs



    
1783 Land Tax Mr Wm Child: Mr Wm Child for his own farm Freeholder     £9 8 0

1789 PCC Will William Child of Amersham yeoman

1793 Quit Rental                    D/DR/2/139a
    Woodrow
    Devisees of the late Wm Child (by J Mallers) three years £3  9s 3d

1800 Land Tax Mr J Mallors & Mrs Wm Child Trustees of the late Wm Child:
    Thomas Allen for farm                            £9 8 0

1802 Letter John Croft, Amersham,  to William Drake 13 June 1802

    This is to inform you that I have bought Woodrow Farm at £2,900 and have paid Mr     Mallors £100 in part of payment which I received of Mr Eeles - Mr Marshall has made the     agreement which is inclosed. If Mr Allen leaves Woodrow Farm Mr Compton wishes to     take it if it meats with your approbation

1802    Deeds 1714-1802                    D/DR/2/113
    Messuage in occ Thomas Allen and 3 cottages at woodrow and lands (137a) in Amersham     & Coleshill in Bucks & Herts [field names deed 1802 contains references to grubbing up of     woodland
    From John Turner, Thomas Child and others 1802

1831 Land Tax Drake T T Esq: Butcher James Woodrow Farm        £9 8 0

1833 Voters List Butcher, James, Woodrow, farm and lands as occupier, Woodrow


1839 Tithe Award 703  Woodrow Farm 227 acres
    Owner: T T Drake  Occ: Arthur Butcher

647 Little Chancellors arable  5 2  38
648  Great Chancellors arable 14   17
649  Milestone Piece arable 14    6
650  Great Pipsmore arable 25   21
651  Little Pipsmore arable 20    4
652  Chancellors  arable 13 1 13
686  Meadow allotment grass 31  17 
703  Homestead & Orchard grass 26 
702  Little Orchard grass 29 
704  Common Plot grass  8
705  Street Field grass 13 
707  Walnut Tree Field arable 19  31 
708  High Field arable 26 
710  Collear Croft arable 39 
711  Home Field arable  9 
712  Hill Field arable 18  33 
721  Orchard Field arable 16   4 
722  Further Grounds arable 32 
     ------  --  -  --
     227  3    



1847 Kelly’s Directory Butcher, Arthur Esq Woodrow

1851 CensusWoodrow
    Arthur Butcher 51 farmer 280 acres 18 labourers

1903 Directory Hatch, Joseph Woodrow Farm

1952 Directory Deacon, S.V. Ame 748

 

WOODROW HIGH HOUSE FARM (north of High House)

1692 Ledger

    John Daveney  
    High House Farm by Wickomb Heath

    Stony Field
    Hatch field
    Church Path Close
    Broxhalls
    Knightleys

    £60 p.a.

1698 Ledger    Nash, Richard
    High House Farm (from lady Day 1698) £44 p.a.

n.d.    An account what land Matthew Evans has incroached on Richard Nashe’s Farm at the     High House in Amersham

1739 Rental

    Wm Drake: Joseph Brandon Yearly Rent £100

    Messuage Tenement or Farmhouse called High House

    5 small fields adjoining to the house            10
    Carters Platt                meadow                    2
    Jackmans                                                   5
    Orchard Field                                               6
    Hawkes Close                                              2 1/2
    The Warren                                                 5
    Pound Close                                               3
    Lamb Croft                                                 5
    Sand Croft                                                  8
    Hangerwell                                                10
                                                                   __
                                                                   56 1/2

    The Farm at Amersham in the occupation of Brandon

    One close of meadow adjoining the house
    now in the occupation of Mr Brandon
    called ye White Hart Orchard                  2
    The Field Above                                    4
    Whilden Platt                                        1
    Hither Bentleys                                     5
    2nd Bentleys                                        6
    3rd Bentleys                                         5
    4th Bentleys                                         6
    Old Mead                meadow                 5
    Great Bentleys                                    13
    2 Fields called Whitley                         11
    Clay Bentleys                                       6
    Stoney Bentleys                                   7
    Round Dell                                         10
                                                            __
                                                           72 1/2
                    High House Farm               56
                                                           __
                                                          129
        
    
n.d.      Particulars of farm including tenants and field names  D/DR/2/227
    Joseph Brandon’s Farm called High House

n.d.    Valuation of High House and estate on Wycombe Heath    D/DR/2/252

1756 Appraisal of stock of Thomas Browne at High House farm   D/DR/2/235

1759 Occular survey of the High House Farm and Hardings Farm  D/DR/2/236


1769    5 January    Lease 9 years at £90 10s p.a.            D/DR/1/47

    1) William Drake Esq
    2) Thomas Butcher of North Dean Hughenden yeoman

    High House Farm with cottage in Amersham
    Mop End Farm in Amersham and Little Missenden


1777 Rental High House Farm Thos Butcher  £63 0s 0d  85 acres

1783 Land Tax Wm Drake Esq: Thomas Butcher for the farm         6  0  0
                  Ditto for late Graveneys                                           2  4  0
                  Ditto for Bentleys land                                             1  4  0
                  Wm Drake Esq for house and land                            1  0  0
                                                                                              ______
                                                                                              10 8 0

1800 Land Tax Woodrow [half year sum exonerated]
    Thomas Drake Tyrwhitt Drake Esq: Thomas Butcher for Farm   3  0  0
                  Do late Graveneys                                                1  2  0
                  Do late Bentleys                                                 12  0
                  Do late Wm Drake Esq house and land                 10  0
                                                                                           ______
                                                                                           5  4  0


1839 Tithe Award 632 High House Farm 146 acres
    Owner T T Drake  Occ: Thomas Salter

 591  Glade Field  arable  6  1  23
 595  Nether Croft Field  arable  5  2  37
 592  Green Lane Field  arable  4  0  23
 596  Hither Hangerwell  arable  3  3  38
 626  Jessopps Meadow  grass  3  0  11
 627  North Close  grass  1  1  30
 628  Cottage & meadow  grass  1  3  28
 629  Plot Field  arable  4  3  25
 630  Long Meadow  grass  2  1   8
 631  Barn Field  arable   8  1  38
 632  Home Close homestead & orchard  grass  6  0  39
 633  Warren  arable  5  2   1
 634  Orchard Field  arable  7  1  33
 635  Three Corner Field  arable  5  3  36
 638  Further Hangerwell  arable  4  0  35
 639  Hangerwell  arable  11  2   4
 640  Sand Close  arable  10  0   6
 641  Lamb Croft  grass  2  0  32
 642  Land Croft  arable  4  2  29
 646  Allotment  arable  17  3  26
 687  Milestone Field  arable  12  2  35
 718  Further Hall Field  arable  6  2  5
 719  Nether Croft  arable  8  3  11
     ------  --  -  --
      146 33 



1851 Census  Woodrow
    Thomas Salter 39 farmer

1952 Model Farm Lyne, R.M.


WOODSIDE FARM


1702 20 July                        Catalogue of deeds

    1) Henry Batchelor the elder of Chesham Bois
    2) Henry Batchelor the younger of Woodside in Amersham his son & heir
    Cottage and land

1704  29 May    Will of Timothy Pratt of Amersham yeoman

    Wife Ann:
    All my estate where it hath pleased God to lend me during her natural life that is to say one     house wherein I now dwell at Amersham Woodside and the close thereunto belonging and     also all those three houses in Great Missenden ....

    Daughter Elizabeth
    House and close wherein I now dwell paying to my son Charles £40

    Daughters Mary & Sarah
    3 houses in Great missenden

    Executor wife Ann

    Proved 15 Oct 1705

1738                                    D/BASM 2/1

    Sur: Henry Batchelor the elder of Woodside yeoman

    All that Messuage or tenement and farmhouse situate at woodside aforesaid
    and also all that field or close called Hills
    and also all that field or close called Aberry’s
    and also all that wood called Hill’s Wood

    Henry Batchelor died holding land at yearly rent of £1 2s 7d
    eldest son Henry Batchelor


1739 Quit Rental                         D/BASM/2/14
    Wm Drake Esq: Henry Batchelor: Yearly rent £21 0 0
    To a messuage tenement or farmhouse fields closes pieces and parcells of ground     hereinafter particularly mentioned:

    All those three closes of meadow or pasture ground
        adjoining his farmhouse                 5 acres
    One close called Penn Croft                    2 1/2 acres
    One other piece of Meadow                    2 acres
    One other close of arable land called Great Wide Field        3 acres
    One other close called Middle Wide Field            2 acres
    One other close called Little Wide Field            1 acre
    All which said fields or closes contain alltogether 15 acres and a half
    Belsons Farm now in the occupation of Batchelor in the Parish of Amersham

    Henry Batchelor: In his own possession
    To his house and land at Woodside  11s  3 1/2d

    Sir Thomas Saunders: Wm Ewers
    To a house & land at Woodside formerly Pratts  4d


1740  Court Books                            D/BASM 2/1

    Admission of Henry Batchelor, son & heir of Henry Batchelor the elder of Woodside     yeoman

    Messuage or Tenement called Austins & Pratts

    New Mead
    Old Mead
    Ley orchard
    Hills
    Pratts
    Avery Field
    House Field
    Ley Croft
            ______________________

n.d. Particulars of farms including tenants and field names.... D/DR/2/227
    Henry Batchelor Woodside Farm

1761 11 May    Will of Henry Batchelor of Amersham yeoman        D 222

    Leaves property to daughters Sarah Ewer Elizabeth Batchelor and Hannah Batchelor

            _____________________________


1762  Court Books                        D/BASM 2/1

    Admission of Sarah Ewer & Hannah Batchelor on the death of Henry Batchelor

    Austins & Pratts
        ______________________________

1763 1- 2 Sept                            D 222

    1) John Wells of Chesham husbandman & Hannah his wife late Hannah bachelor and dau  in law and devisee of late Henry Batchelor
    2) Jacob Ewer the younger of Woodside yeoman and Sarah his wife only surviving dau & devisee of Henry Batchelor
    3) Joseph Saunders of Amersham husbandman
        John nash of Amersham cordwainer
    4) John Loveday of Amersham draper

    Recites death of Elizabeth Batchelor dau of Henry Batchelor in his lifetime
    Recites death of Elizabeth Batchelor wife of Henry Batchelor  

    All those three cottages or tenements wherein Thomas Grainger George Watts the elder and George Watts the younger did then dwell at Woodside

    Long Croft        3 1/2 a
    Little Penn        )
    Great Penn        ) 13 a
    Upper Barn Field    )
    Lower Barn Field    ) 10 a
    Upper Meadow    1 a
    Turney Mead        1/2 a
    Stockbury Mead    1/2 a

    late in the tenure or occupation of Henry Batchelor and then of Jacob Ewer

    + land to be surrendered at nest court

    All that Messuage or Tenement called Austins & Pratts situate and being at Woodside

    New Mead
    Home Mead
    Ley Orchard
    Hills        arable & woodland
    Pratts        arable
    Avery Field    arable
    Home Field    arable
    Ley Croft    arable

    58 a 1 r late in the occupation of the said Henry Batchelor and then of the said Jacob Ewer
    
            __________________________________

1764 Court Books                        D/BASM 2/1

    Sur: John Wells & Hannah his wife
    Ad: Jacob Ewer & Sarah his wife

    Austins & Pratts

1777 Wm Drakes Rental Woodside Farm  W Bachelor £21  16 acres

1783 Jacob Ewer: Lee & Smith for farm & tenement    £7  4  6

1784 Measurement of Woodside Farm                D/BASM/2/9/2
    

   Hills   20  3  14  
   Barns  5  1  14  
   Betwixt Barns and the Common  5  0  15  
   Hither Pens  8  1  17  
   Further Pens  5  1   6  
   By Mortons  4  2  21  
   Long Field  8  0  6  
   Avery Field  7  0  39  
   Pratts  6  0  14  
   By the Ricks what is ploughed  0  0  14  
   Long Croft beyond the Common  3  1   0  
   Orchard by the stable  1  0  16  
   Orchard with bit without the gate  1  1  14  
   Orchard by the wheat barn  1  1  30  
   Orchard behind the house  1  1   9  
   Little Meadow  1  2  30  
   Great Meadow  4  1  32  
     --  -  ---  
     85  2  16  
   Woodland   9  0  0  
    --- --  ---   
     94  2  16  
           

 

1800 Land Tax
    Christopher Robinson: House land & wood £7  0  0

1831 Land Tax
    John Stratton: Wm Scott        £7  0  0

1831 Register of Electors
    Stratton, John Thomas, Langley, Bucks Freehold Farm: Woodside Farm



1838 6 -7 Sept                            D 222

    1) John Thomas Stratton & Jane his wife
    2)Charles Arrowsmith
    3)Edward Weller
       William Weller the younger
    4)Thomas Marshall

1839 26 April    Admission of Edward Weller & William Weller


1839 Tithe Award Pratt’s Farm
    Owner: Edward Weller and William Weller the younger  Occ: themselves

    124    Grubbed Ground           arable        4  0  21
    126    Hills                              do         21  2  28
    129    Avery Field                    do           7  2  12
    130    Upper Pratts                  do           6  1  22
    131    Pratts                           do           7  3  24
    132    Pratts                           do           7  0  23
    133    Homestead & orchard   grass         5  2  18
    134    Arable close               arable         6  2  10
    135    Hither Barn Field           do            5  2  24
    136    Furher Barn field           do            5  1  37
    137    Common Plot             grass          1  1  11
    160    Great Penns               arable         8  3  38
    161    Little Penns                 do             7  3  10
    162    Little Meadow             grass          0  2  25
    169    Allotment                 arable          7  1    8
                                                               _______
                                                            104  0 31



1851 Census Woodside Farm
    William Statham 54 Farm bailiff to W Weller 138 acres 14 labourers

1871 Census Edward Weller 27 Landowner


1910 Valuation
    Owner: W & G Weller        94 acres

1924    Denning, Frederick farmer Woodside Farm Rickmansworth Road

1925     Woodside belongs to Mr George Weller (V.C.H.)

1929 Bucks Examiner 15 Nov.

    Woodside Farm, Amersham Common
    50 short horn cattle, viz:
        28 dairy cows
        12 two to three years old heifers
        9 head of Young stock
        1 bull
    6 cart horses
    2 sows with litters
    150 head of poultry
    200 tons of mangolds and swedes
    The straw, chaff, manure

    Messrs W Brown & Co. have received instructions from the executors of the late Geo.     Weller Esq., to sell by auction on the premises above on Thursday Nov 21st 1929   

1930    Weller Estate, 78 acres, purchased by Metropolitan Railway Country Estates Ltd. for     £18,000  “soon to be covered with 535 semi detached houses (priced at £875 upwards) and     51 shops”. London’s Metroplitan Railway p.249

1930 Bucks Examiner 2 May
    Metropolitan Railway Company (sic) Estates Ltd., submitted a plan for the lay out of the     Weller     Estate, Amersham

1930  30 Dec Plan  Metropolitan Railway Country Estates Lt    
    WH Dougworth    R H Powiss Ltd
    New sewers & roads
    Town planning approved Sep. 1st

1931   30 Jan Plan 2155    Metropolitan Railway Country Estates Ltd W H Dongworth
    6 houses type A
    4 houses type B
    6 houses type C
    Weller Estate

    Plan2185 ARDC Weller Road site 24 houses

1931 6 May     Plan 2239 Metropolitan Railway Country Estates Ltd
    Plot 2 Station Road     6.5.31

1931 1 Aug Plan 2315 Metropolitan Railway Country Estates Ltd
    Four houses on plots 2,3,22 & 23 Woodside Road

1931 15 Dec Plan 2402 Metropolitan Railway Country Estates Ltd    W H Dongworth    Marks & Gullett
    House plot 8 The Rise Weller Estate    15.12.31

    Plan 2438 Metropolitan Railway Country Estates Ltd
    2 houses plots 6-7
    2 houses 19-20
    2 houses 29-30
    

1932 For Sale freehold - Metropolitan Railway Country Estates Ltd. (Metroland p 110)

1935     Darvill, Wm Geo forage manure sand & gravel merchant Woodside Farm

1939     Darvill, Wm Geo manure merchant Woodside Farm

1941 Directory
    Darvill, Wm & Son  haulage contractors, Woodside Farm

1948    Amersham RDC bought buildings and 18 acres of land for Civic Centre

1951 Foundation of Amersham & District Community Association

1952 Directory
    Woodside Farm Smiths Upholsterers Man Dir S Smith
    Woodside Farm House J Darvil

1956     16 June Restored barn and stable handed over to Amersham & District Community     Association

1965 Swimming pool commenced

1966-70 Farmhouse demolished

 

This information appears here with the kind permission of Julian Hunt see Julian Hunt's Local History website.

It is data collected in preparation for his publication A History of Amersham

Subcategories