Broughton

Introduction

Church: St Lawrence

Hundred: Newport

Poor Law District: Newport Pagnell

Size (acres): 937

Easting & Northing: 489240

Grid Ref SP890400 Click to see map

 

Names

Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Broughton PARISH St Lawrence
Brotone NAMES name for Broughton in Domesday Book in 1086

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 157
1811 194
1821 191
1831 172
1841 168
1851 182
1861 155
1871 174
1881 159
1891 122
1901 113
1911 127
1921 106
1931 86
1941 N/A
1951 108
1961 91
1971 97
1981 103
1991 119

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Broughton   St Lawrence   Baptisms   1577   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Broughton   St Lawrence   Marriages   1577   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Broughton   St Lawrence   Burials   1600   1811   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available

 

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 SMITH SMITH TEAGLE SMITH
2 KENT WILMER KING TEAGLE
3 GURNEY PICKERING WATSON PICKERING
4 DUNCOMBE GREGORY STANFORD KING
5 PICKERING DOVER MASSEY WATSON
6 CASE PAGE BLISS WILMER
7 HESTER WARREN HOWE KENT
8 HARRIS MANNING BRAZIER CLARKE
9 JURDEN CLARKE SMITH WARREN
10 DAY KEMP IRVING STANFORD

 

Description

Description of Broughton.

Broughton is a parish and village on the road from Newport Pagnell to Woburn, 3 miles south-south-east from Newport Pagnell terminal station of a branch from Wolverton of the London, Midland and Scottish railway, in the Buckingham division of the county, county court district of Bletchley and Leighton Buzzard. Broughton is in the hundred, petty sessional division and rural district of Newport Pagnell, rural deanery of Bletchley, archdeaconry of Buckingham and diocese of Oxford.

The church of St Lawrence is a small building of stone, chiefly in the Early Decorated style, and consists of chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled western tower containing a clock and 4 bells.

The land is mainly owned by the farmers. The siol is mixed; subsoil, gravel and clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and roots. The area is 937 acres; the population in 1911 was and 127 and in 1921 was 105

Education

Broughton Parish (Pop. 172)

One Daily School, containing six children, endowed with £50 per annum, by the late Francis Duncombe, Esquire.

One Sunday School, with 28 children, supported by the minister of the parish

A School held on Saturdays, in which poor girls are gratuitously instructed in needle-work,

and several Lace Schools.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.