Chartridge

Introduction

Church:

Hundred: Burnham

Poor Law District: Amersham

Size (acres):

Easting & Northing: 493203

Grid Ref SP930030 Click to see map

Names

Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Chartridge PARISH  

 

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 BROWNE BIRCH BIRCH BIRCH
2 BIRCH HARDING TOMLIN HARDING
3 EAYRE LASENBY LASENBY LASENBY
4 TOCKFIELD HORWOOD PUDDEPHATT BROWNE
5 LOVETT KING HIGGS HORWOOD
6 HARDING CHANNER BATCHELOR KING
7 FREEMAN AYRES HORWOOD CHANNER
8 RANE BROWNE HARDING AYRES
9 PHILLIPS CARTER DWIGHT CARTER
10 GIFFORD GROVER JAMES GROVER

 

Description

Description of Chartridge.

 Chartridge is a parish on the western edge of Chesham from which it was formed by Buckinghamshire order under the Local Government Act of 1894. This was confirmed 1st April 1899 and extends one to 3.5 miles north-west from Chesham station on the Metropolitan and London and North Eastern Joint railway, in the Aylesbury division of the county.

The principle landowners are William F. Lowndes-Frith-Lowdndes Esq., M.B.E., J.P., Wilfred George Garrett-Pegge Esq. J.P. and Peter Clutterbuck Esq. J.P. The soil is clay upon chalk. The area is 4,992 acres; the population in 1921 was 750.

Ashridge is a hamlet 1.25 miles north, Bellingdon 2.5 miles north, and Hundridge 2.25 south. Hyde Heath is partly in this parish and partly in Great Missenden. There is a Congregational chapel at Ashridge, erected in 1891, with 70 sittings, and a Church Mission Room at Bellingdon.