Notes on Chicheley


Description of Chicheley from Sheahan, 1861.

According to the Census Return of 1851, the area of the parish of Chicheley is 1,620 acres, the number of its inhabitants was then 271. At present its rateable value is £2,294. The soil is sandy clay. A small stream runs through the parish from its northern verge, and unites with the Ouse at Lathbury.

The village is small, but neat, and consists chiefly of one farm house, on inn, the school, and a few cottages. It is situated in a hollow, and surrounded by lofty trees, and is distant 2.5 miles N.E. from Newport Pagnell (on the road leading from that town to Bedford), and 6.5 miles N.E. from Wolverton Station on the London and North Western Railway.

Chicheley Hall, the seat of C.M. Chester Esq., is a handsome mansion of red brick with stone dressings, rebuilt by Sir John Chester, the fourth Bart., in 1708, and stands in a delightful situation. It contains many interesting old portraits of the Chester family. There are extensive pleasure grounds, a lake of considerable size, and numbers of fine forest trees in the park. A short distance from the mansion is a tower, three stories high, which contains a curious mechanical contrivance for supplying the house with water, from a string beneath. This machinery was erected in 1725, by the fifth Baronet, and is still efficient.

The scattered farm houses here are called lodges, They are, Hill Lodge, New Field Lodge, Thick Thorn Lodge, Mount Pleasant, and the Grange or Balney Lodge. The latter "lodge" is a good stone building, in the occupation of Mr. Francis Coales, with this inscription above the front doorway - Sorrié Iveté Pié 1601.


Chicheley Parish (Pop. 218)

One Day and Sunday School, containing 16 males and 14 females; supported by subscriptions, aided by small weekly payments from the parents of the children.