Notes on Clifton Reynes

Description

Description of Clifton Reynes from J. J. Sheahan, 1861.

 Area, 1,444 acres; population 217 souls. The river Ouse divides the parish from Olney, Lavendon, and Bradfield. The place derives its name from the hill and cliff on the eastern bank of the river on which it stands; and it acquired the distinctive affix of Reynes, from a family by which the manor was formerly possessed. The soil is chiefly a deep clay, but mixed with gravel near the river. Extraneous fossils are found in a stratum of limestone, and shells of various kinds.

The village, which is small and compact, stands on an eminence over-looking the Ouse, and the town of Olney. It is distant 1.5 mile E. by S. from Olney, and 5 miles N.N.W. from Newport Pagnell. The views from this place are remarkably pleasing. That part of the parish which belonged to the principle manor, was at a very remote and unknown period; and the remainder continued in open-field culture until 1822, when an Act of Parliament was passed for its inclosure.

Education

Clifton-Reynes Parish (Pop. 246)

One Sunday School (commenced 1827), with 20 males and 19 females, supported by contributions

There is a National School adjacent, available to the children of this parish.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.