Datchet

Introduction

Datchet Parish

Church: St Mary the Virgin

Hundred: Stoke

Poor Law District: Eton

Size (acres): 1386

Easting & Northing: 498177

Grid Ref SU980770 Click to see map

Names

Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Datchet PARISH St Mary the Virgin
Dochet NAMES name for Datchet in 1530
Dochett NAMES name for Datchet in 1547
Dotchett NAMES name for Datchet in 1626
Baptist NON-CONFORMIST High Street. First Mentioned: 1801. Building 1841 now shops
Riding Court PLACE within the parish
Southlea PLACE within the parish
Whelby PLACE within the parish

 

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 357
1811 710
1821 839
1831 802
1841 922
1851 898
1861 982
1871 990
1881 1202
1891 1582
1901 1834
1911 2056
1921 2406
1931 2537
1941 N/A
1951 3659
1961 4282
1971 3737
1981 N/A
1991 N/A

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Datchet   St Mary the Virgin   Baptisms   1559   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Datchet   St Mary the Virgin   Marriages   1559   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Datchet   St Mary the Virgin   Burials   1559   1861   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available

 

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 WEST CARTER SMITH SMITH
2 MATHEW DEARLE WHITE COX
3 HALE OGILVY HANCOCK CARTER
4 RUTTER JACKSON COX GREEN
5 READE GREEN LEWIN WHITE
6 BARKER NASH ROBINSON HANCOCK
7 STONE SMITH SEARS WEST
8 PITT COX GREEN HILL
9 NEWMAN ANDREWS MORGAN ALDRIDGE
10 GRACE STEEVENS PEARCE NEWMAN

 

Description

Description of Datchet from J. J. Sheahan, 1861.

The area of Datchet is 1,630 acres; population 982 souls. The parish is separated from Berkshire by the river Thames. The soil is a loam of great fertility. The surface is flat but the surrounding scenery is diversified. The villages is pleasantly situated 2 miles E.S.E. from Eton, and by two great bridges erected in 1851, and are called respectively the Victoria and Albert Bridges. They consist of one large arch each, of metal (which spans the river), with smaller arches of stone, at the ends. A branch of the Great Western Railway passes through the parish.**

An antique building opposite the church forms one of the most striking objects in the village. This old structure is chiefly composed of beams of oak, lath and plaster, and read and black tiles, and has five gables towards the road. It was built by Lord Horwick, who purchased a manorial estate here from the family of Gore. In modern times the deserted mansion was converted into a workhouse; and now it is divided into tenements. The old building has just been repaired.

 

** Please note. This is the wrong railway company as the modern line goes from Windsor Riverside to Waterloo [TS].

Education

Datchet Parish (Pop. 802)

Three Daily Schools,

One, supported by subscription, contains 50 females;

Another (commenced 1826), 20 females, who are paid for by their parents;

The other (commenced 1830), 44 males, 14 of whom are instructed at the
expense of the Vicar, the rest at that of their parents.

One Boarding School, in which 14 females are educated at the expense of their parents.

Two Sunday Schools,
In one are 16 males and 30 females, who attend the Established Church;

The other appertains to particular Baptists, and consists of 14 males and 17 females; both are supported by voluntary contributions.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.