Farnham Royal

Introduction

Church: St Mary

Hundred: Burnham

Poor Law District: Eton

Size (acres): 1664

Easting & Northing: 496183

Grid Ref SU960830 Click to see map

Names

Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Farnham Royal PARISH St Mary
Farnam Vardon NAMES name for Farnham Royal in 1532
Farnehame Ryall NAMES name for Farnham Royal in 1535
Ferneham NAMES name for Farnham in Domesday Book in 1086
Baptist NON-CONFORMIST First Mentioned: 1829. Later church hall
Primitive Methodist NON-CONFORMIST First Mentioned: 1849. Rebuilt 1867
Salt Hill (Part) PLACE within the parish
Seer Green PLACE hamlet in parish until 1847

 

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 550
1811 624
1821 686
1831 777
1841 792
1851 787
1861 817
1871 884
1881 1042
1891 1053
1901 1162
1911 1632
1921 1551
1931 1656
1941 N/A
1951 2571
1961 3563
1971 N/A
1981 4867
1991 5172

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Farnham Royal   St Mary   Baptisms   1635   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Farnham Royal   St Mary   Marriages   1600   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Farnham Royal   St Mary   Burials   1635   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available

 

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 WALTER COOK WHEELER WILLIAMSON
2 PARKER WILLIAMSON WILLIAMSON HUGHES
3 GRYMSDALL ROBINSON BROWN ROBINSON
4 GRYMSDALE HUGHES HILL WHEELER
5 KINGHAM PERRYMAN HUGHES COOK
6 BARTON STEVENS DEVONSHIRE BROWN
7 CRANWELL NORMAN JAMES HILL
8 ROBINSON CRANWELL BOWLER DEVONSHIRE
9 PERRYMAN LANGTON COX BOWLER
10 INGLE WALTER PUSEY PUSEY

 

Notes

Farnham Common lies in the parish of Farnham Royal. It covers an area of some 2.5 miles and has a population of approximately 6,000.
Farnham Royal was the main village with its church of St Mary's, shops, cottages and village pump situated in the centre junction of the cross roads. Farnham Common was known as 'Up End', being the common land of the parish where the livestock was grazed at certain times of the year. As this common area became more populated it became known as Farnham Common.

Farnham Common is on the border of Burnham Beeches, the well known Beech Forest owned by the City of London, having been given to the people of London as a place in the country for their recreation and pleasure. In the 1920s it was very common for coach loads of Londoners to come down for the day at weekends having tea at the tea rooms and enjoying the donkey rides.

A few of the large old houses still remain such as Yew Place, Farnham Park (once called The Chase) and Caldicott. Yew Place was formerly known as The Rectory, part of which dates back to the time of King John. The original farmhouse was given to a coachman in the service of the Earl of Warwick.
The Chase, now known as Farnham Park, was owned by Mr Carr Gomme, a very influential member of the community, being one of the main organisers of fund-raisers for the building of St John's Church. The house passed into the hands of Sir Gomer Berry, later Lord Kemsley, who had the organ dismantled from Farnham Park and gave it to St John's Church. Farnham Park is now the renowned Farnham Park Rehabilitation Centre presently owned by the East Berkshire Health Authority.

Caldicott is a very imposing house situated on the edge of Burnham Beeches and was once owned by Mrs Harvey who gave money for the extension of Farnham Common Village Hall. Caldicott is now a Boys Preparatory School.

A few names of note who have been associated with Farnham Common have been the artist Rex Whistler's mother, who lived in The Small House in Burnham Beeches; J. M. Barrie, the author of Peter Pan and Enid Blyton, the children's author. In Burnham Beeches there is a large beech tree under which Mendelssohn used to sit and compose some of his works in 'peaceful splendour'. Joan Hammond, the opera singer, lived in the part of the village known as Egypt. The Moore family live in the village and hold the record of three generations of one family representing Great Britain in the Olympic Games, Major George Moore having competed in 1948, Lieut. Col. John Moore, his son, in 1956, 1960 and 1964 and Lieut. Mark Moore, his grandson, in 1984. Lieut. Col. John Moore received on O.B.E. for his services to skiing.

Article written by members of the Buckinghamshire Federation of Women's Institutes for the publication "The Buckinghamshire Village Book" (1987) and reproduced here with their permission

Description

Description of Farnham Royal from J. J. Sheahan, 1861.

 This parish, including Seer Green and Hedgerley Dean, extends over an area of 2,910 acres, and contains 1,298 inhabitants. Rateable value, £4,947. The Great Western Railway crosses the parish at Salt Hill. The surface is pleasantly undulated, and the scenery abounds with interests. The village, which contains some good residences, is distant from Colnbrook 4.5 miles N.W., 2.5 N.W. from Slough, and 3.5 N. from Eton.

The rectory is in the gift of Eton College, and is rated at £12 16s. 0.5d. The glebe lands consist of about 300 acres; and the tithes were commuted for £304 17s 8d. Annual value, £539. The Rev. S. F. Marshall is the Rector. The advowson was given by the Crown to Eton College, about the 1720.

Salt hill is a hamlet and respectable village 1 mile W. from Slough, and 1.5 mile S. from Farnham Royal. Nearly the whole of the hamlet is in this parish, but portions of it are in Stoke Poges and Upton. The "Mons" whence the long celebrated Eton festival called the Montem, took its name, is situated in Upton parish. This ceremony of "Ad Montem" is now numbered with the things that are past. Salt Hill was noted for the splendour of its post-inns, before the "iron ways" superseded stage-coaches and post-chaises. There is yet a large hotel here.

 

Education

Farnham Royal Parish (including part of Salt Hill) (Pop. 777)

Two Day and Sunday Schools, attended by 56 males and 28 females daily, and 39 males and 36 females on Sundays, supported by subscription and small weekly payments from the children. Rooms were built for the above Schools by subscription, in 1822, when they were placed on their present footing.

Hedgerley-Dean Hamlet (Pop. 171)

One Daily School (commenced 1830), in which 5 males and 7 females are instructed at the expense of their parents;

One Sunday School, attached to Independent Dissenters (commenced 1821), consisting of 23 males and 37 females, supported by voluntary contributions.

Seer-Green Hamlet (Pop. 245)

Two Daily Schools, one contains 20 males and 4 females, supported by Lady Young and Mr. and Miss Dupree; the other 22 females, partly supported by Lady Young, in aid of payment by the parents of the children.

One Sunday School, in which 40 children of both sexes are gratuitously instructed. These Schools have all commenced since 1818.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.