Notes on Fawley

Description

Description of Fawley from Sheahan, 1861.

This parish forms the extreme S.W. angle of Bucks, and is bounded on the E. by the Thames, and on the S. and W. by Oxfordshire. The boundary line between Bucks and Oxon passes through the lawn of Fawley Court. Area, 2,216 acres; population, 272. The village is much scattered; the Church stands 3 miles N. by W. from Henley-upon Thames, and 8 miles W. from Great Marlow.

Fawley Court is a handsome and spacious mansion, erected in 1684, from a design by Sir Christopher Wren. It occupies an elevated site overlooking the Thames, about a mile from Henley, and is surrounded by a park of 250 acres, well planted, and terminated by undulating hills, part clothed in beach.

Education

Fawley Parish (Pop. 254)

One Daily School (commenced 1833), in which about 30 children are instructed at the expense of their parents;

One Sunday School, wherein 50 receive gratuitous instruction.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.