Notes about Woughton on the Green

Description

Description of Woughton-on-the-Green from Sheahan, 1861.

Area, according to local estimation, 1,191 acres; rateable value, £2,253; population, 337 souls. The soil is clay, with a gravelly sub-soil, and the surface is varied. The Grand Junction Canal, and the Bedford Branch (from Bletchley Junction) of the London and North-Western Railway, intersect the parish.

The village is large, and built in the form of an oblong square, with a " green " in the centre, in the middle of the east end of which stands the church. It is on the road between Fenny Stratford and Newport Pagnell, 2.5 miles N. of the former, and 4 miles S. from the latter town. The parish was enclosed in 1769. The river Ouse bounds the parish to the east.

The National School, erected by subscription in 1856, is a neat red brick structure, near the church. About 30 boys and girls attend.

Education

Woughton-on-the-Green Parish (Pop. 303)

One Sunday School (commenced 1819), held in the Parish Church, and attended by 25 males and 36 females; supported by subscriptions, and collections after an annual sermon.

There are five small daily Schools, wherein 4 males and 37 females are taught to make lace and to read.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.