Gerrards Cross

Description of Gerrards Cross as a Chapelry from Sheahan, 1861.

This is a highly respectable place, and consists of many genteel residences, and some cottages built on the verge of an extensive common, about 4 miles N.W. from Uxbridge, 4 miles S.E. from Beaconsfield, 6 miles N.E. from Slough, and 2 miles S. from Chalfont St. Peter.

Gerrard's Cross Common is a flat plain of nearly 1,000 acres, mostly covered with heather and furze; extending into four or five parishes, but chiefly in those of Fulmer and Chalfont St. Peter. The turnpike road from London to Oxford crosses it, dividing the old parishes of Fulmer and Chalfont - the common land on the south side of the road being in the former parish, and the land on the north side belonging mostly to Chalfont. This London and Oxford road extends nearly a mile across the heath, and is intersected at right angles by a road from Chalfont to Slough and Windsor; but it is not known why the cross roads received the prefix of Gerrard, or Jarret, as the name is sometimes spelt. The houses which compose the village of Gerrard's Cross are scattered on a road running round one side of the edge of the common, (forming a bow having the London road as its string) and extending about 1.5 mile in length. Near the French Horn Inn (which is in Fulmer, on the London road at the point at which that road touches the common) the parishes of Fulmer, Chalfont St Peter, and Langley Marish meet.