Hoggeston

Introduction

Hoggeston Parish

Church: Holy Cross

Hundred: Cottesloe

Poor Law District: Winslow

Size (acres): 1571

Easting & Northing: 480225

Grid Ref SP800250 Click to see map

Names

Names & Places

 

NameTypeNote
Hoggeston PARISH Holy Cross
Hochestone NAMES name for Hoggeston Domesday Book in 1086
Particular Baptist NON-CONFORMIST Meeting House. First Mentioned: 1839
Primitive Methodist NON-CONFORMIST Meeting House. First Mentioned: 1851
Blacklands PLACE within the parish
Hurdlesgrove PLACE within the parish

 

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 197
1811 190
1821 188
1831 173
1841 204
1851 220
1861 207
1871 191
1881 175
1891 166
1901 129
1911 138
1921 124
1931 81
1941 N/A
1951 87
1961 81
1971 66
1981 79
1991 90

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Hoggeston   Holy Cross   Baptisms   1548   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
Hoggeston   Holy Cross   Marriages   1547   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
Hoggeston   Holy Cross   Burials   1547   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here

 

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 CLEMENTS BUTCHER KIMBLE KIMBLE
2 TURNAM TURNHAM KNIGHT KNIGHT
3 MAYNE ROGERS HOPKINS CLEMENTS
4 WELLS SHARP WHITE WHITE
5 SHORT CLEMENTS BAYLIS HOPKINS
6 TURNUM SHORT FOSKETT TURNAM
7 GREENE GAYTON SHARP SHARP
8 KINDER FOSKET MORRIS MAYNE
9 GATAKER GREEN HOLLIS BUTCHER
10 HALL REYNOLDS HARDING SHORT

 

Description

Description of Hoggeston from J.J. Sheahan, 1861.

The parish of Hogston, or Hoggeston, contains 1,526 acres, and 207 persons. The soil is a gravelly loam upon a bead of clay. The village is small, neat, and compact, and lies about 3.5 miles S.E. from Winslow, and 8.5 miles N.E. from Aylesbury. Straw plait and bone lace are made here.

The Manor House is now a farm dwelling, near the churchyard on its south side, is an ancient, quaint, picturesque, and interesting building, of red brick, in the Domestic Gothic style. Formerly there were corresponding entrances to the hall, on the north and south sides, by large sized arched doorways, enriched with ornamental brick work; but these doorways have been modernised, and the entrance hall is now used as a dairy. Some of the stucco bosses, with which this apartment was formerly embellished still remain.

Hogston is considered a very healthy village. Thomas Knight, one of the villagers, died here in 1859, at the advanced age of 101 years.

Education

Hoggeston Parish (Pop. 173)

Two Daily Schools, in which 12 males and 12 females are instructed at the expense of their parents.

Two Sunday Schools, with about the same number; supported by the Lord of the Manor.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.