Hogshaw

Introduction

Hogshaw Parish

Church:

Hundred: Ashendon

Poor Law District: Winslow

Size (acres): 1322

Easting & Northing: 473222

Grid Ref SP730220 Click to see map

 

Names

Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Hogshaw PARISH  
Hogcsaue NAMES name for Hogshaw in Domesday Book in 1086
Hogsher NAMES name for Hogshaw in 1614
Fulbrook PLACE within the parish

 

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 55
1811 55
1821 68
1831 48
1841 50
1851 50
1861 50
1871 61
1881 62
1891 78
1901 56
1911 57
1921 57
1931 43
1941 N/A
1951 36
1961 42
1971 45
1981 40
1991 30

There was no census in 1941.

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 MELMOTH BARRETT CURTIS CURTIS
2 WILIAS FASTNIDGE BUCKINGHAM BRASELL
3 WATSONNE BRASELL BRASELL BARRETT
4 SWAYNE SARE TODD FASTNIDGE
5 SWAINE HERBERT HUGHES SARE
6 REEVE GAWDERY PITTAIN HERBERT
7 HENN WELCH HIGGINS HUGHES
8 HANNES CURTIS HENLEY BUCKINGHAM
9 FORD STEVENS BEECHAM TODD
10 FOORD QUARTERMAIN COLEMAN STONE

Description

Description of Hogshaw from Sheahan, 1861.

 

Hogshaw, anciently Oggesaue, and Hocsaga, probably from signifying floods, sedgy and marshy ground, abounding with reeds and miry places - and Fulbrook, deriving its name by an obvious etymology - form a parish of 1,030 acres, situated in a little valley between some fine bold insulated hills. Rateable value, £1,964; population 50. The soil is clayey, intermixed with sand and gravel. There is no village: six farm houses and one cottage lie scattered over the parish. The place is distant from Winslow 4 miles S.W. by S., and 8 to 9 miles N.W. from Aylesbury. Hogshaw adjoins East Claydon and Botolph Claydon.

The present Lord of the Manor is Josia Dupre, Esq., of Wilton Park, Beaconsfield. Besides the Lord of the Manor, the other principle landowners are the Duke of Leeds, Sir Harry Verney, Bart., and Bernard Fountaine, Esq. The farmers of Lower Hogshaw and Fulbrook repair their own roads; and the other tenant farmers repair the high road.