Hulcott

Introduction

Hulcott Parish

Church: All Saints

Hundred: Aylesbury

Poor Law District: Aylesbury

Size (acres): 717

Easting & Northing: 485216

Grid Ref SP850160 Click to see map

Names


Names & Places

 

NameTypeNote
Hulcott PARISH All Saints
Hiulcote NAMES name for Hulcott in 1535
Huckett NAMES name for Huckett in 1626
Huckott NAMES name for Hulcott in 1539
Rowsham PLACE within the parish

 

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 117
1811 125
1821 139
1831 145
1841 133
1851 150
1861 143
1871 125
1881 119
1891 108
1901 88
1911 113
1921 120
1931 88
1941 N/A
1951 69
1961 55
1971 79
1981 80
1991 90

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Hulcott   All Saints   Baptisms   1539   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Hulcott   All Saints   Marriages   1539   1840   Not available   Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Hulcott   All Saints   Burials   1539   1907   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available

 

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 RASH THORNE THORNE THORNE
2 WHITCHURCH FLEET HILL SEAMONS
3 BATE SEAMONS ELLIOTT HILL
4 SHARPE BISHOP MESSENGER FLEET
5 SMITH BATES SEAMONS ELLIOTT
6 THORNE WALLIS WALLIS WALLIS
7 STRATFOLD FINCHER STEVENS MESSENGER
8 SMYTH MUSTO UNDERWOOD STEVENS
9 WIATT ADKINS HIGGS WHITCHURCH
10 EDWARDS INWOODS FLEET SMITH

 

 

{Description}

Description of Hulcott from Sheahan, 1861.

Hulcott or Hulcote parish, the area of which is about 700 acres, lies at the N.E. extremity of Aylesbury hundred, Rateable value, £1,141; population 150. The soil is generally a heavy clay, known as geologists as the Kimmeridge clay, and nearly the whole of the land is pasture. The Aylesbury branch of the North-Western Railway intersects the parish.

The village is small and sequestered, and stands 3 miles N.E. from Aylesbury.

The Rectory House, a good residence of brick, was partly rebuilt in 1859. A little eastward of the church is an ancient moat, but there are no remains of the mansion, which it doubtless once surrounded. A few years since in planting fruit trees within the space enclosed by the moat, foundations of a building were discovered.

The school, a very neat building of red-brick, stands near the village, and was erected in 1855 by subscriptions, aided by grants from the National Society, etc.

Education

Hulcott Parish (Pop. 145)

One Sunday School, consisting of 16 males and 9 females , (commenced 1829), supported by voluntary contributions;

There are also two Schools in which a few children are taugnt lace-making and occasionally to read.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.