Bradwell Abbey

Introduction

Church:

Hundred: Newport

Poor Law District: Newport Pagnell

Size (acres): 447

Easting & Northing: 482239

Grid Ref SP827395 Click to see map

Names

Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Bradwell Abbey PARISH  

 

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 12
1811 10
1821 20
1831 17
1841 21
1851 16
1861 14
1871 10
1881 28
1891 16
1901 18
1911 34
1921 29
1931 18
1941 N/A
1951 22
1961 10
1971 11
1981 2762
1991 6431

There was no census in 1941.

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 WEST WEST WEST WEST
2 SAUNDERS LEATCH SAUNDERS BATTAMS
3 MICKLEY HANLEE MICKLEY SAUNDERS
4 LEATCH DUICK BRYANT MICKLEY
5 HANLEE COX BENNETT LEATCH
6 DUICK BATTAMS BATTAMS HANLEE
7 COX SAUNDERS LEATCH DUICK
8 BRYANT MICKLEY HANLEE COX
9 BENNETT BRYANT DUICK BRYANT
10 BATTAMS BENNETT COX BENNETT

Education

Bradwell Abbey is described as a priory in Sheahan in 1861.

Founded in c1155 by Manfelin, Lord of the Manor of Wolverton for the black monks dedicated to St Mary. The Abbey estate belongs to the Mercers' Company in 1861, after it was purchased from Lord Dartmouth.

In 1871 the area was 447 acres and two inhabited houses and one uninhabited. There was a population of 10, 6 males and 4 females.