Hedsor

Description

Description of Hedsor from Sheahan, 1861.

This small parish is situated on the banks of the Thames, about 4.5 miles E. by S. from Great Marlow, 3.5 miles S.W. from Beaconsfield, and 4.5 miles N. from Maidenhead.

Hedsor is the seat of Lord Boston. The mansion, which was built in 1778 by Frederick, the second Lord Boston, is large, square, and of brick, situated upon a commanding eminence. The park, woodlands, and gardens, about 300 acres in extent, are very undulating in character, and abound in many varieties of tall forest trees. The grounds around the house naturally posses great beauty, and have been tastefully improved. There are two very old yew trees in the grounds near the church. One of them measures 23 feet in girth, and the other 22 feet.

Messrs. Thomas and William Lunnon have an estate in this parish, and they are the owners of a paper and mill-board mill here, as well as a flour mill. The latter is occupied by Mr. Richard Tubb.

Education

Hedsor with Lillifee Parish (Pop. 207)

One Sunday School, consisting of 12 males and 12 females; supported by Lord Boston.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.