Kingsey

Introduction

Kingsey Parish

Church: St Nicholas

Hundred: Ashendon

Poor Law District: Thame

Size (acres): 915

Easting & Northing: 474206

Grid Ref SP740060 Click to see map

Names

Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Kingsey PARISH St Nicholas
Tythrop PLACE within the parish

 

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 165
1811 169
1821 204
1831 222
1841 178
1851 202
1861 171
1871 145
1881 151
1891 124
1901 85
1911 N/A
1921 N/A
1931 N/A
1941 N/A
1951 117
1961 122
1971 126
1981 130
1991 126

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Kingsey   St Nicholas   Baptisms   1538   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Kingsey   St Nicholas   Marriages   1602   1840   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Kingsey   St Nicholas   Marriages   1841   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Kingsey   St Nicholas   Burials   1575   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available

 

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 BIRCH FOWLER WOODBRIDGE WOODBRIDGE
2 CRIPSE BIRCH SHEPHERD SHEPHERD
3 LILLINGSTON WEST TUCKER BIRCH
4 EDLE REYNOLDS BUTLER TUCKER
5 CROXFORD BOWLER HIGGINS BUTLER
6 ROGERS WOODBRIDGE CHENEY CHENEY
7 COLLIER WINSLOW WALL HILL
8 WEST COX HILL HIGGINS
9 HARRIS KEEN NEWITT WALL
10 BOLLER TOWSEY JONES WEST

 

Description

Description of Kingsey from J.J. Sheahan, 1861.

The parish of Kingesey or Kingsey lies on the borders Oxfordshire, including Tythrop, which is in Oxfordshire, contains 1,405 acres, and 242 persons. Its rateable valueis £1,406 The soil is a deep clay with strata of sand. Kingsey, and the adjoining parish of Towersey, were both anciently included under the name Eye, "signifying," says Lipscomb, "the nook or corner, of perhaps the hundred, or even of the county, to which they belong, and excatly answering to their situation." A rivulet which runs into the Thame separates Kingsey from Oxfordshire.
The village stands pleasantly near the foot of the Chiltern Hills, in a well wooded country, 3 miles E. from Thame, and S.S.W. from Aylesbury. The turnpike road from London to Oxford passes the village.
The Vicarage House stands about 400 yards east of the church, but in the county of Oxford. Part of the house is ancient. The school, built in 1849, is a small neat building. It is supported by subscription.

School

Kingsey School - we have a reproduction of an old postcard showing the school but when was it taken? Are any of your ancestors here?.

 

Education

Kingsey Parish (Pop. 222)

One small Daily School, in which about 6 children are instructed at the expense of their parents.

One Sunday School, with about 40 children, supported by subscription

There are also Two Lace Schools for about 28 females, and 12 others are taught sewing two half days in each week gratuitously.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.