Langley Marish

Introduction

Church: St Mary the Virgin

Hundred: Stoke

Poor Law District: Eton

Size (acres): 3937

Easting & Northing: 501182

Grid Ref TQ010820 Click to see map

Names

Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Langley Marish PARISH St Mary the Virgin
Langley Maries NAMES name for Langley Marish in 1546
Independent NON-CONFORMIST The Chapel, George Green. First Mentioned: 1805. sold to C of E c1860
Independent NON-CONFORMIST Langley Free Church, George Green. First Mentioned: 1800
Alderbourne (Manor) PLACE within the parish
Colnbrook (Part) PLACE town in parish until 1853
George Green PLACE within the parish
Horsemoor Green PLACE within the parish
Middle Green PLACE within the parish
Mount Fidget Wood PLACE within the parish
Parlaunt Park PLACE within the parish
Westmoor PLACE within the parish

 

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note Became part of Slough
1801 1215
1811 1571
1821 1616
1831 1797
1841 1844
1851 1874
1861 1874
1871 1964
1881 2162
1891 2474
1901 3167
1911 3120
1921 1179
1931 1180
1941 N/A
1951 N/A
1961 N/A
1971 N/A
1981 N/A
1991 N/A

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Langley Marish   St Mary the Virgin   Baptisms   1645   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Langley Marish   St Mary the Virgin   Marriages   1600   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Langley Marish   St Mary the Virgin   Burials   1697   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available

 

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 SMITH SMITH SMITH SMITH
2 STYLE MILLER STEVENS BIGGS
3 WARD STREETING EVANS GREEN
4 HAWKINS WEBB FINCH BALL
5 SQUIRE BALL GREEN STEVENS
6 REDINGTON BIGGS COLESHILL BUCKLAND
7 BAVIN WILLIS SPICER SPICER
8 STILE TAYLOR BIGGS EVANS
9 GROVE WARD JOYS FINCH
10 COALE WILD CLEMENTS JONES

Description

Description of Langley Marish from J.J. Sheahan, 1861.

The parish of Langley Marish, or Maries, contains 3,895 acres including a portion of Colnbrook); and 1,874 persons. The soil is a gravelly loam. The Great Western Railway intersects the parish, and here is the Langley Station on that line. The village is 2 miles E. from Slough.

Langley was formerly included in Wyrardsbury. Henry VII. granted the manor to his Queen; and his successor granted it to Katherine, Princess of Wales. Henry VIII. afterwards granted it to Henry Norres, Esq., with the office of Keeper of the King’s Woods in the county; and, in 1540, he granted the Manor of Leveyng, and the Park of Plaunt in Langley, to Sir A. Denny. Edward VI. granted this manor and the Park to the Princess Elizabeth. In 1626, Charles I. granted the manor to Sir John Kederminster. His daughter carried it in marriage to Sir John Parsons, whose son sold it, in 1669, to Henry Seymour Esq. From the Seymours it passed to Lord Masham, who sold the estate in 1788 to Sir Robert Bateson Harvey, Bart., and Robert Harvey, Esq. is its present owner. John Nash, Esq., is a principal landowner.

Langley Park is the seat of R Harvey, Esq. The present mansion, a handsome square building, of stone, was erected by the Duke of Marlborough. In it is a fine collection of pictures. The park contains about 300 acres, is beautifully wooded, and has a lake at its centre.

There are hamlets in Langley parish called Horsemoor Green, George Green, Middle Green, and Langley Broom. There are several good residences in various parts of the parish.

The living is a Perpetual Curacy in the incumbency of the Rev. W.D. Scoones. Impropriator, John Nash. Esq. The church of Langley was formerly a chapel of ease Wyrardsbury; and, until 1856, the Curacy was annexed to that vicarage. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £624; and the small tithes for about £276.

The church (St. Mary) is an ancient Gothic edifice, consisting of a chancel and nave, with a north aisle, in which are five bells and a clock. The church was repewed in 1848, at an expense of £650. The oak stalls in the chancel were then restored by the impropriator. Adjoining the south side of the nave is a small aisle containing the manor-pew, erected by Sir John Kederminster, and separated from the church by a fine screen of artificial stone, consisting of a double range of a quadrupled slender columns supporting a vaulted and groined roof. Sir John also converted the south porch into a Library, in which he placed 300 volumes., chiefly of divinity. The aisle and library are richly painted, ornamented with coats of arms, sentences of Scripture, &c. There is a wooden screen beneath the chancel arch, and the sedilia and piscina in the chancel are rich, The organ is on a gallery at the west end of the aisle. There are three fine monuments belonging to the Kederminster, Gosling and Harvey families; and tablets, brasses, and inscriptions to members of the families of Bowser, Boter, Froggatt, Morice, Port, Redington, Parker, Hubert, Styles, Cockett, Leigh, Smith, Daw Nash &c. In the churchyard is a fine old yew tree.

The parsonage house is a plain old building. The Boy’s School, a short distance from the village, was built about 1843, at a cost of £250, on a site given by Maurice Swabey Esq, The Girl’s School, in the village, was rebuilt, enlarged, and a teacher’s house added in 1859, at the cost of Miss Elizabeth Cane, who at the same time endowed it with £100 stock. Mr C.T. Depree, who built the original school, in 1830, endowed it with £100 stock. There is an infant school at George Green, built in 1858, by Mrs Harvey (who supports it): and another, supported by Miss Atkins, is held in a cottage at Horsemoor Green.

A building at George Green, formerly an Independent Chapel, is now used for the purposed of the established church.

Sir J Kederminster founded and endowed Almshouses here in 1649, for four poor people, each of whom now receives 4s. 4d. per week. The Seymour family, in 1679, founded and endowed Almshouses here for six poor women, who receives from the funds of the charity 2s. 7.5d. per week; but Lord Carington makes this sum up to 5s. per week. At Langley Broom are Almshouses erected and endowed by Mr William Wild, in 1839, for four poor old agricultural labourers. The inmates receive 3s. a week each.

According to the Charity Commissioners’ Report, the charities of Langley parish amount altogether to about £244 per annum.

Notes

I was born in Langley, Bucks, in March 1924 and have lived in Bucks the best part of my life. We used to walk through fields and over the farm land which stretched for miles around and wander along the stream running into Datchet. Over the last few years many houses and new housing estates have been built
£ and all farms and fields done away with. In the village there was a blacksmith in a tiny row of houses, now turned into a block of modern houses, and also a home-made bakery which was there for years. It was run by Mr and Mrs Rymes and family. They are quite old now.

Nearby was a quaint cottage and some old-fashioned public houses, one called the Plough. Also in the village were a sweet shop, food shop and a greengrocer which have now been furnished with more modern fronts. The old police station has been done away with and a modern one put up in the main High Street. On the whole the village of Langley has become more than a village and some of the Langley residents who have lived there all their lives have seen many changes. We have a Free Church in the village and also a really old church, called St Mary's. On the Langley Road, there was a big childrens' orphanage which has now been demolished. Nearby was the Research Station. The cobbler is still there, the business passed on to son from father.

In the village stood a very big house and estate belonging to the late Mr and Mrs Hillier, and every year there was a big fete and sports in the grounds. It has been made into a big convent, with very high walls around.

Now we have a big oil depot at Langley station. The big Hawker airfield has been turned into a Ford's motor factory and recently the new Hotel Inn has gone up on what used to be farm land. On the whole we are now a very modern village with six foster homes on the LCC estate, three in Blandford Road and three in Langley High Street run by the Hammersmith Borough. In each home are seven children of different age groups up to eighteen years old. We have many big modern schools and the area is really built up. But we still have a good many old Langley residents and a few familiar things left in our village.

M.W. Holding, Langley Marish

Extracted from 'A Pattern Hundreds' (1975) and reproduced with the kind permission of the Buckinghamshire Federation of Women's Institutes


Education

Langley Marish Parish, with part of Colnbrook Chapelry (Pop. 1,797)

Five Daily Schools, containing 49 males and 66 females, and Two Boarding Schools, about 50 males; these are all educated at the expense of their parents.

Two Sunday Schools, supported by voluntary contributions; in one of which (commenced 1830) are 31 males and 34 females, who attend the Established Church; the other (commenced 1819) appertains to the Baptist denomination, and consists of 26 males and 36 females.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.