Lillingstone Dayrell

Introduction

Lillingstone Dayrell Parish

Church: St Nicholas of Myra

Hundred: Buckingham

Poor Law District: Buckingham

Size (acres): 2223

Easting & Northing: 470239

Grid Ref SP700390 Click to see map

Names

Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Lillingstone Dayrell PARISH St Nicholas of Myra
Lelinchestune NAMES name for Lillingstone in Domesday Book in 1086
Chapel Green PLACE within the parish
Luffield Abbey PLACE within the parish

 

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 111
1811 132
1821 127
1831 150
1841 187
1851 207
1861 198
1871 250
1881 275
1891 273
1901 259
1911 248
1921 231
1931 183
1941 N/A
1951 182
1961 121
1971 141
1981 76
1991 149

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Lillingstone Dayrell   St Nicholas of Myra   Baptisms   1585   1840   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Lillingstone Dayrell   St Nicholas of Myra   Marriages   1588   1907   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Lillingstone Dayrell   St Nicholas of Myra   Burials   1586   1840   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available

 

 

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 STONES NORMAN CLARKE CLARKE
2 NORMAN STONES DUNKLEY STONES
3 WESTLEY LIDDINGTON LIDDINGTON NORMAN
4 TYLER DAYRELL DAYRELL DAYRELL
5 DAYRELL CAPORN GREGORY LIDDINGTON
6 STOKES STOKES WINTERBURN DUNKLEY
7 DAIRELL GREY STONES GREGORY
8 GROVE SCOTT SMITH SMITH
9 LAMLEY HINSON JEFFERY STOKES
10 CLARKE FEARNE ROBARTS CAPORN

 

Description

Description of Lillingstone Dayrell from J. J. Sheahan, 1861.

This parish lies on the borders of Northamptonshire, and contains 2,223 acres, of which about 500 woodland. Population, 216; rateable value £2,245. The surface in some parts is hilly, commanding extensive prospects, and the lower grounds are watered by a stream which rises in the parish, on the verge of Northamptonshire. The soil is clayey and deep.

The village is a scattered one, 4.5 miles N. from Buckingham.

The Manor of Lillingstone has continued in the Dayrell family till this day – present possessor, Edmund Frances Dayrell, Esq., being the thirty-eighth male descendant of Elais Dairal, who flourished here about 1195.

A. G. Robarts, Esq., and Lord Southampton, are likewise principal landowners in Lillingstone Lovell.

In the reign of King Henry III. Robert Dayrell and Ralph, his son, granted Luffield Priory “a certain place in his wood at Lillingstone,” in which a Chapel was built and dedicated to St Thomas the Martyr. When Browne Willis visited the ruins of the Priory, this chapel was still standing, but had been converted into a dwelling house.

The ancient Manor House. a castellated mansion, the seat of the Dayrells, was taken down in 1767; and a smaller house was built on its site in 1792, by Richard Dayrell, Esq. This latter building is in a pleasant situation, and has a front portico supported by four pillars. In the immediate vicinity of the house are an extensive plantation, and a large sheet of water.

Another mansion, erected by Sir Marmaduke Dayrell, Knt., early in the last century, has been converted into a farm-house, and is now the property of Mr Robarts. It is called Tile House, and on the porch is a coat of arms with a date of 1693, and the initials M. D. The rooms are spacious and lofty, and in a room called the stone-parlour is a large white marble chimney-piece. The floors of the principal apartments are laid in lozenge-shaped black and white stone. The staircase is wide, with balustrades of oak. The house being on high ground commands very extensive prospects.

Here, about sixty years ago, two cannon balls – one of lead, the other of iron, each weighing about ten pounds – were found, and are now in the possession of the occupier of the house and farm, Mr. William Clarke.

On the farm, in a field called Rough-meadow, is a spring containing petrifying properties.

In 1858, several ancient battle axes were found in a wood in this parish.

The Living is a rectory, valued in the King’s Books at £7 9s. 7d. The tithes were commuted for £278. Patron, the Lord of the Manor; Rector, Rev. William Bell.

The Rev. John Langham Dayrell, who died in 1832, bequeathed £300 stock, in the three-per-cent, annuities, to the poor of this parish. He also left £100 to the poor of Stowe.

Education

Lillingstone Dayrell Parish (Pop. 150)

No School in the parish.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.