Notes on Little Marlow

Description

Description of Little Marlow from J. J. Sheahan, 1861.

The parish of Little Marlow adjoins that of Great Marlow, and contains 3,346 acres, and 801 inhabitants. Its rateable value is £4,212. The soil is chalk, gravel, and light loam; and there are about 300 acres of woodland. The village is seated 2 miles N.E. from Great Marlow.

After the general Dissolution of monasteries, the Rectory, and Advowson of the Vicarage, coming into the hands of the King, were, together with the Manor, granted to John Tytley and Thomas Resteold; by whom, in 1540, this estate was sold to John Williams of Thame. The latter transferred it to Mr. Wilmot, from whom it was purchased by John Borlace, Esq., who was Sheriff of Bucks in 1567, and resided in Medmenham. The male line of this ancient family became extinct, by the death of Sir John Bolace, Bart., in 1688; and his daughter and heiress was the wife of Arthur Warren, Esq., of Stapleford, Co. Notts., and mother of Sir John Borlace Warren, created a Baronet in 1775. The latter sold Little Marlow and Medmenham, in 1781, to the guardians of William Lee Antonie, Esq., a minor, who was, in 1789, M.P. for Marlow. When Libscombe wrote the Lord of the Manor was the Right Hon. Sir George Nugent, Bart., who resided at Westhorpe House. In the present year the guardians of J.P. Ellames, a minor, purchased the estate from Sir G.E. Nugent, Bart. The Trustees of the late Isaac Walker, Esq., and Lord Carington, have also estates here.

The Manor House is situated on the north side of the church, and has 29 acres of ground attached to it, which are prettily disposed. The front of the house is modern, but the back is ancient and interesting. The brick walls of the place are of excellent workmanship, and between the entrance gates and the house is a fine row of lofty elms. The house is now occupied by --- Jackson Esq.

Westhorpe House is a good square-built residence, with a porch of the Ionic Order. It was built by James Chase, Esq.,  who was M.P. for Marlow in the reigns of William III and Anne, and is in a low situation. The park consists of about 100 acres, and contains some large cedars of Lebanon, aid to be the second importation of the kind into this country.

Well Head, about a mile from the village, is a considerable hamlet, containing a good inn, and several respectable houses. Cold Moorholm, a mile from the church, consists of a farm, called Spade Oak, and about twenty old cottages. Monkton is a farm, one portion of the house of which is ancient, with three gables. Near the house is an old and remarkably large box tree; and an ancient elm, within the hollow of which a dozen persons may stand together. The Moor, The Fern, Burrows Grove, Sheepridge, and Flack Heath, are also places here.

In Little Marlow village manufactory has this year been established for the working of Satin-stitch, and embroidery, and making ladies’ collars, cuffs, habits, &c., by the aid of sewing machines. About 200 females and a few males are employed here. The works belong to Messrs. G. Cobden and Co., London and are managed by Mr Humphrey Millen.

The Rectory was in medietics, and the church was served alternately by two Rectors, until the benefice was appropriated to the Priory, in 1342, by Sir John Stonor and Joane Mack. The Vicarage is valued in the Liber Regis at £8 5s. 10d. The tithes were commuted for £200. Impropriator, the Lord of the Manor; Patron, Samuel Birch, Esq.; Vicar. Rev. John Baines.

The Vicarage House is a substantial building. There are 33 acres of glebe. A new school is about to be erected by subscription. The late Sir George Nugent left £25 a year to support the Sunday-school.

In 1633, William Allanson left £50, the profits of the same to be given in bread to the poor. Land was purchased with the money, now consisting of 7 acres 2 roods 2 perches.

Education

Little Marlow Parish (Pop. 783)

Two Daily Schools, one contains 20 females, supported by Mrs. General Piggot; in the other 15 males and 1 female are instructed at the expense of their parents.

One Sunday School, consisting of 50 males and 50 females, supported by Sir George and Lady Nugent;

There is also a School wherein 17 females are taught lace-making.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.