Ludgershall

Introduction

Ludgershall Parish

Church: St Mary

Hundred: Ashendon

Poor Law District: Aylesbury

Size (acres): 2823

Easting & Northing: 466217

Grid Ref SP660170 Click to see map

Names

Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Ludgershall PARISH St Mary
Lotegarser NAMES name for Ludgershall in Domesday Book ing 1086
Ludgarsell NAMES name for Ludgershall in 1766
Lurdgarsall NAMES name for Ludgershall in 1526
Lurgesall NAMES name for Ludgershall in 1627
Lurgessale NAMES name for Ludgershall in 1509
Lurgosall NAMES name for Ludgershall in 1536
Tetchwich NAMES name for Tetchwick in 1756
Titchwick field NAMES name for Tetchwick in 1674
Tochingewiche NAMES name for Tetchwick in Domesday Book in 1086
Tutchwike NAMES name for Tetchwick in 1570
Weslyan NON-CONFORMIST First Mentioned: 1844. Rebuilt 1904
Kingswood PLACE within the parish
Tetchwick PLACE within the parish

 

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note Kingswood
1801 37
1811 39
1821 56
1831 61
1841 66
1851 53
1861 54
1871 39
1881 27
1891 40
1901 29
1911 22
1921 24
1931 18
1941 N/A
1951 114
1961 107
1971 89
1981 N/A
1991 N/A

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Ludgershall   St Mary   Baptisms   1572   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
Ludgershall   St Mary   Marriages   1570   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
Ludgershall   St Mary   Burials   1566   1902   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here

 

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 SHERLEY LAMBORN FAULKNER JONES
2 MAYO JONES MOLE MOLE
3 TIPPER LEAVER JONES GRIFFIN
4 PAGE HINE GRIFFIN FAULKNER
5 SHORLEY WARD EDMONDS COLES
6 COLEMAN ALLEN COLES LAMBORN
7 COLES GRIFFIN HARRIS EDMONDS
8 WALLINGTON GOODGAME SMITH SMITH
9 HAWKINS WHITE LAMBORN WALLINGTON
10 COLMAN WALLINGTON HUNT GOODGAME

 

 

Description

Description of Ludgershall from J. J. Sheahan, 1861.

This parish lies on the borders of Oxfordshire, and includes the hamlets of Tetchwick and and Kingswood. Area, according to the Parliamentary Return, 2,430 acres; population about 500; rateable value £2,506. Lipscomb says that Ludgershall contains mare than 2,000 acres; Kingswood, 254; and Tetchwick, 484; in all, 2,766 acres. The soil is a dark clay, with various loams. Two brooks, springing from Muswell Hill, run N.W. through this parish.

The village is very much scattered, and the greater part of the dwellings are old and covered with thatch. It is distant 6 miles S.E. from Bicester (Oxon), and 13 miles N.W. from Aylesbury.

Lipscomb writes, “Lotegarshale or Ludgar’s-Hall, supposed to have been called from its soil and situation on the verge of a marsh, denominated Otmoor, in Oxfordshire. Kennet thought it ‘seemed to continue the name King Lud,’ to whom tradition assigns a Royal seat in the contiguous parish of Brill; and a little plot of ground near the parsonage-house of Ludgershall, encompassed with a moat, is traditionally pointed out as King Ludd’s Hall.” Later writers, however, seem unwilling to allow the site of a “hall” to be associated with King Lud, in this parish.

The Rectory House, rebuilt shortly after the inclosure of the parish, is separated from the west side of the church-yard by the high road, and is a genteel residence of brick with a tiled roof, surrounded by about six acres of pleasure and garden grounds.

There is a Wesleyan Chapel on the village green, built in 1844; and at the top of the green, on the north side of the church, is the National School, a remarkably neat structure, erected in 1846, at a cost of about £500, contributed chiefly by the present Rector, who also gave the site. The building is of red brick, with Bath stone dressings, and consists of one room 36 feet by 16, and 20 feet high, with a porch, and apartments for the teacher. About 70 children attend. The school is endowed with £20 per annum.

Education

Ludgershall and Tetchworth Parish, with Kingswood Hamlet, (Pop, 585.)

Two Daily Schools (commenced 1832), in which 30 males are educated at the expense of their parents.

Three Sunday Schools, two consist of 55 males and 38 females, who attend the Established Church; the other appertains to Baptist Dissenters, 47 males and 33 females (commenced 1833); all supported by voluntary contributions.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.>