Notes on Milton Keynes


Description of Milton Keynes from J. J. Sheahan, 1861.

Milton or Middleton Keynes has its affix from the ancient family of Keynes, who possessed the manor. Its area is 1,842 acres; population, 317 souls. The parish lies on the borders of Bedfordshire. The soil is gravelly. The women are chiefly employed in making pillow-lace.

The Village is seated 3.5 miles S. by E. from Newport Pagnell, and about the same distance N.E. from Fenny Stratford.

The living is a Rectory, valued in the King’s Books at £20. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £475, and there are 46 acres of glebe; of which 17 acres are let out as garden ground to cottagers. Patron, the Lord of the Manor; Rector, the Rev. John Neale Dalton.

The Rectory House, a commodious residence, of red brick, in the Elizabethan style, is situated near the church, and was erected by the Rev. Dr. Wootton, who held the Rectory from 1692 to 1726. The house was thoroughly repaired in 1858.

In a field west of the church are the remains of a moat, and traces of fish-ponds – probably the site of the mansion of the ancient lords of Milton Keynes.

The poor have a rent-charge of £2 a year.


Milton Keynes Parish (Pop. 334)

Three Daily Schools, one for 25 males, supported by voluntary contributions; the other two contain 10 males and 6 females, whose instruction is paid for by their parents.

One Sunday School, in which 26 males and 35 females receive gratuitous instruction.