Notes on Moulsoe


Description of Moulsoe from J. J. Sheahan, 1861.

This parish lies on the verge of Bedfordshire. It contains 1,190 acres, and 239 inhabitants; and its rateable value is £1,615. The soil chiefly a deep loam, but in some parts a stiff clay. The Grand Junction Canal connects the parish with the town of Newport Pagnell. There are about 150 acres of woodland.

The village is small mean and scattered, and is seated on a conspicuous eminence 3 miles S.E. by E. from Newport Pagnell. The females make pillow lace. Moulso, or Moulshoe, gave name to one of the three ancient hundreds (Moslai), of which that part of Newport is now composed.

The living is a Rectory, rated in the King’s Books at £16 16s. 3d., and now worth £280 a year. The tithes were commuted for about 230 acres of land in 1802, which the parish was inclosed. Patron, Lord Carington, Rector, Rev. Walter Drake. The glebe land is exempted from the payment of poor rates. The advowson belonged to the Priory of Goring before the reign of King John.

The Rectory House is a handsome residence near the church, in a delightful situation, from which an extensive prospect is obtained. A wide gravel walk has been formed from the house at Thickford Park, nearly to the church of Moulsoe.

The School is endowed with 12 acres of land purchased by the Executors of the Dowager (Mary) Countess of Northampton, under the provisions of her will, dated in 1719. Her ladyship (who also left a yearly rent-charge of £5 to the poor of Moulsoe) held this manor in dower, and was grandmother of Spencer Compton, Earl of Northampton.


Moulsoe Parish (Pop. 303)

One Day and Sunday School, containing 25 children of both sexes daily, and 30 males and 40 females on Sundays; the day School is supported by the proceeds of an endowment, the Sunday School by subscription.