Pitchcott

Introduction

Pitchcott Parish

Church: St Giles

Hundred: Ashendon

Poor Law District: Aylesbury

Size (acres): 925

Easting & Northing: 477220

Grid Ref SP770200 Click to see map

Names

Places

NameTypeNote
Pitchcott PARISH St Giles
Petchcott NAMES name for Pitchcott in 1584
Pyttescott NAMES name for Pitchcott in 1536

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 51
1811 56
1821 44
1831 28
1841 68
1851 59
1861 36
1871 51
1881 35
1891 41
1901 40
1911 32
1921 32
1931 30
1941 N/A
1951 23
1961 27
1971 33
1981 45
1991 27

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Pitchcott   St Giles   Baptisms   1576   1904   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
Pitchcott   St Giles   Marriages   1576   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
Pitchcott   St Giles   Burials   1590   1912   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here

 

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 HARTWELL THORN EVANS EVANS
2 NETMAKER LEE THORN THORN
3 JAMES STEVENS DANCER DANCER
4 FRITWELL WALLIS ROSE THORNE
5 WALKEDEN SMITH THORNE WALLIS
6 OLIFFE MARKHAM SPENCER SMITH
7 RICHARDSON CANNON NOBLE ROSE
8 BARNARD THORNE GILTROW STEVENS
9 WHITE ROBINSON WALLIS SPENCER
10 WEST KINGHAM VINES LEE

 

Description

Description of Pitchott from J.J.Sheahan, 1861.

In old records the name of this parish is spelt Pychcote, Pitchcote, and Pitchcot, and the word is supposed to be derived from a cot or dwelling on a hill - which is descriptive of its situation on a peak or summit of a lofty eminence on the northern verge of the Vale of Aylesbury. The parish contains 924 acres, of the rateable value of £1,754. Population, 59 souls. The soil is a clayey loam.

The village stands 6 miles N.W. by N. from Aylesbury. It is very small, and delightfully situated on a commanding eminence from which the prospects are most extensive and beautiful.

The manor house is a good well-built residence, bearing the date 1657 on its north end. Formerly there was a carriage drive on its south side through an avenue of poplar trees. The house is now occupied by Mr. John Vines, farmer. The prospects from it are very fine.

The Benefice is a Rectory, valued in the King's Books £10, and now returned at £310. The advowson is appendant to the manor, and the Rector is the Rev. William Noble.

The Rectory House stands a short distance eastward from the church, and a square well-built residence, built about twenty years ago, and situated in about an acre of garden ground.

Education

Pitchcott Parish (Pop. 28)

One Sunday School, open to all who live near enough to the church to send their children ; the average number is about 15, supported by the Rector.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.