Fenny Stratford

Introduction

Church: St Martin

Hundred: Newport

Poor Law District: Newport Pagnell

Size (acres):

Easting & Northing: 488234

Grid Ref SP880340 Click to see map

Names

Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Fenny Stratford PARISH St Martin
Baptist NON-CONFORMIST Spurgeon Memorial Chapel, Aylesbury Street. First Mentioned: 1800. Built 1805, rebuilt 1892
Weslyan NON-CONFORMIST High St then Albert St. First Mentioned: 1813. Rebuilt 1866

 

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Fenny Stratford   St Martin   Baptisms   1730   1892   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Fenny Stratford   St Martin   Marriages   1576   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Fenny Stratford   St Martin   Burials   1728   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available

 

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 EMERY GIBBS HAMMOND HAMMOND
2 BAMBOWY ROGERS BATES GOODMAN
3 BLAND POOL GOODMAN BATES
4 BANBERY HART SMITH SMITH
5 TOMPKINS ETHERIDGE SOUSTER SOUSTER
6 RICHARDSON NORMAN WHITE KING
7 INNES EDGE KING WHITE
8 FEARY MEAD CLARKE CLARKE
9 CHAPMAN FOX HOLDOM ROGERS
10 PARSONS DAY LUCAS HOLDOM

 

Notes

Extract from the Universal British Directory 1791

Is seated on the rising of a hill; at the bottom of the town runs the river Losield, well supplied with fish, with a large stone bridge over it. The town consists of one principal street, on the West Chester Road, forty-five miles from London, and one cross Street, leading to Aylesbury, which is fixteen miles distant. It is from Leighton Buzzard seven miles, Winslow nine, Stoney Stratford seven, Newport Pagnell seven, and Wooburn five.

This town is in the hamlet of' two parishes; the north side belongs to the parish of Simpson, in which is a seat called Simpson Place, belonging to Sir Thomas Hanmer, Bart, about a mile distance from the town; and the west side belongs to the parish of Bletchley, on which is erected a beautiful chapel of eafe called St. Martin's chapel, built by subcription : the ceiling is ornamented with gentlemens' coats of arms who have subscribed liberally towards the building. St. Martin's day was the day on which this chapel was finished, and on that day yearly a Sermon is preached, and a dinner given to the principal inhabitants of the towa, and the evening spent in mirth, firing of guns, bonfires, etc. Bletchley is a large village about a mile and half distant, at which place is the mother church ; it has a ring of eight bells, is large and elegant, and the chancel is ornamented with draughts of the twelve apostles.


Fenny Stratford has a market on Monday, and four fairs annually, viz. April 19 for cattle, July 18 for toys:, and October 10 and November 28 for cattle.


The chief manufacture of the town and neighbourhood is white bone lace. The soil is excellent for all sorts of grain; and there are some very rich grazing pastures in the neighbourhood.


The post goes out every evening about eleven o'clock, and returns the next morning at three.

 

Description

Description of Fenny Stratford from J. J. Sheahan, 1861.

This place was originally a hamlet and chapelry in the parish of Bletchley; but now it appears to posses all the rights of an independent parish. According to local estimation the parish contains 941 acres. The population in 1851 was 1,140. A portion of the town of Fenny Stratford belongs to the parish of Simpson, and is about 1.5 mile distant from the church of that parish. The soil is gravel on a basis of clay. The parish is intersected by the main line of the London and North-Western Railway, the Bedford branch of the same railway, the Grand Union Canal, and the river Ousel or Lovat.

The town is situated 7 miles S.E. from Stony Stratford, 13.5 from Buckingham, and 44 N.W. from London. The Bletchley Junction Railway Station, which is in this parish, is distant about 1 mile; and close to the town is the Fenny Stratford Station, on the branch line from Bletchley to Bedford. The latter line was opened in 1847.