Preston Bissett

Introduction

Church: St John the Baptist

Hundred: Buckingham

Poor Law District: Buckingham

Size (acres): 1523

Easting & Northing: 465229

Grid Ref SP650290 Click to see map

 

Names

Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Preston Bissett PARISH St John the Baptist
Prestone NAMES name for Preston Bisset in Domesday Book in 1086
Casemore (Fm) PLACE within the parish
Cowley PLACE within the parish

 

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 322
1811 337
1821 396
1831 502
1841 517
1851 554
1861 469
1871 485
1881 344
1891 311
1901 290
1911 285
1921 276
1931 286
1941 N/A
1951 256
1961 233
1971 242
1981 263
1991 251

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Preston Bissett   St John the Baptist   Baptisms   1576   1909   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Preston Bissett   St John the Baptist   Marriages   1577   1837   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Preston Bissett   St John the Baptist   Burials   1577   1889   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 MAJOR COX CADD COX
2 COX KING COX CADD
3 NORTH READ TASKER TASKER
4 QUAINTON ARCHER BENNETT BENNETT
5 COXE ELLARD THORPE KING
6 MAIOR BONHAM DENNY THORPE
7 CHAPMAN CHAPMAN GOUGH ELLARD
8 ELLARD MILLER STEVENS READ
9 BUTTERFIELD MAJOR EELEY DENNY
10 MILLER JONES COXHILL GOUGH

 

Description

Description of Preston Bisset from J.J. Sheahan, 1861

Preston Bisset parish, including the hamlet of Crowley, contains 1,940 acres, and 470 souls; ratable value, £2,169. The place is said to have derived its name from Villa Presbyteri, Priest's Town: its additional appellation is from a distinguished family that possessed it in early times.

The village is small and scattered: a detached portion of it is called "The Common." It is distant about 4 miles S.W. from Buckingham. The females of this and the neighbouring villages are chiefly employed in pillow lace making.

The Church (St John Baptist) stands on an elevated spot, in the middle of the village, and is an ancient structure of the latter part of the 13th & 14th century. Its parts are a nave, side aisles, chancel, and a low tower: the porch, which was on the south side, has been removed. There are two bells in the tower. The style of architecture is Decorated, and the two and three-light windows, particularly those at the east end of the aisles and chancel, are very excellent.

The Rectory House is a handsome brick residence, stuccoed, erected in 1840, in the Gothic style, by the present Rector.

There is a small Primitive Methodist Chapel, built in 1853.

The National School, a very neat brick building with stone dressings, was erected in 1858, at a cost off £779, including a genteel residence for the teachers, and a garden and a separate play ground for boys and girls. The money was raised by subscription, aided by a grant from Government of £243. About 50 children attend. This school building is a great ornament to the village.

 

Cowley Hamlet – Cowley, distant one mile S.E. of the village, consists of three farms and two or three cottages. Here it is supposed a Chapel once existed, but there are no traces of it excepting the foundations in a field called Parsons Close.

The water in this village is strongly impregnated with iron, and one spring has been formed, but is not used.

 

Education

Preston Bissett Parish, with Cowley (Pop. 502)

One Daily School (commenced 1828) containing 8 males and 12 females, who are instructed at the expense of their parents.

One Sunday School, supported by voluntary contributions, consisting of 45 children of both sexes.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.