Quarrendon

Introduction

Church:

Hundred: Ashendon

Poor Law District: Aylesbury

Size (acres): 1948

Easting & Northing: 480215

Grid Ref SP800150 Click to see map

Names

Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Quarrendon PARISH  
Quarendon NAMES name for Quarrendon in 1512
Quarington NAMES name for Quarrendon in 1592, 1766
Quarrington NAMES name for Quarrendon in 1826
Quarryngdon NAMES name for Quarrendon in 1509
Querendone NAMES name for Quarrendon in Domesday Book in 1086

 

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 55
1811 54
1821 68
1831 60
1841 64
1851 64
1861 58
1871 56
1881 37
1891 52
1901 65
1911 73
1921 65
1931 51
1941 N/A
1951 51
1961 78
1971 59
1981 51
1991 46

There was no census in 1941.

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 EDWARDS MARKHAM SIMONS SIMONS
2 IVATTS SAUNDERS SOUTHAM MARKHAM
3 HORSEMAN BROMLEY THORPE SOUTHAM
4 WYGGYNS HEDGES HINTON THORPE
5 WINGRAVE DAVIS LEE LEE
6 WAYNEMAN WATKINS BROOKS HINTON
7 TRADWEY MAYNE COOK BROOKS
8 TILLEY LEE SEAMONS SAUNDERS
9 SHEPARD HOWES DUNN COOK
10 ROBERTS HOUSE PRICE SEAMONS

 

Description

Description of Quarrendon from J.J. Sheahan, 1861.

This parish is bounded on the south by Aylesbury; its area is 2,080 acres; and in 1851 the population numbered 64 souls. Its situation is low and humid, the soil is a deep stiff dark blue clay with veins of gravel and coarse red sand, and, with the exception of a very few acres, the parish contains the finest grazing land in the county. There is no village, but the ruined church of the parish is distant 1½ mile N. from Aylesbury.

The Church or Chapel (St. Peter) now in ruins, is stated by the Messrs. Lysons and Lipscomb to have been originally founded by John Farnham, about the yerar 1392; and that the building was partly destroyed by a great flood which took place about A.D. 1570, when Sire Henry Lee lost no less than 3,000 sheep besides horses and other cattle. But this is erroneous. The Ven. Archdeacon Bickersteth, in a lecture delivered to the Architectural & Archaeological Society at the ruined church of Quarrendon, in 1858, successfully disproved that statement by pointing to the printed copy of the instrument by which the Vicarage of Bierton was ordained, amongst the published records of the Bucks Archaeological Society. That instrument was executed by the Bishop of Lincoln, at Stowe, in 1294.

Education

Quarrendon Parish (Pop. 60)

No School in the parish.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.