Notes on Saunderton

Description

Description of Saunderton from J.J. Sheahan, 1861.

This parish of 1,590 acres, forming a narrow slip of land more than 6 miles long, but not more than two furlongs in breadth. It runs arbitrarily into the hundred of Aylesbury. Population, 428 souls. The Village is very small, and stands 1.5 mile S.W. from Princes Risborough.

In this parish were formerly two manors (distinguished by the names of St Mary and St Nicholas) and two benefices and churches, which were consolidated about 1450.

After the Dissolution, King Henry VIII, granted certain lands here, late belonging to the Abbey of Thame, to the newly erected Cathedral of Oxford. These lanss appear to be the Saunderton Grange farm, consisting 220 acres, which extend into the parishes of Horsenden and Kingsey. The house is in the part of the parish called Saunderton Lee. There is an ancient Barrow on the Grange Farm, and another on Slough Farm. Several years ago a large barrow was levelled on the former farm.

The Church of St Nicholas is conjectured to stand to have stood westward of the present church, at a place that was called Great Saunderton. The land on the south side of the church looks like the site of a mansion. In a garden a little eastward a stone coffin and some human remains have been dug up. Lipscomb says that the manor house is “presumed” to have stood on Lodge Hill The Church-farm house, near the church, is ancient, and in the occupation of Mr. W.W. Read.

The workhouse of the Wycombe Poor Law Union is situated at Slough, in this parish, and is a large lofty structure of flint, with red brick dressings, in the Tudor style, surrounded by eleven acres of garden ground. The Union comprehends 33 parishes, with an area of 147 square miles. The Wycombe and Thame railway runs in front of the building.

 

Education

Saunderton Parish (Pop. 231)

No School in the parish.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.