Notes on Stoke Goldington

Description

Description of Stoke Goldington, from J.J. Sheahan, 1861.

Stoke Goldington, including the hamlet of Eakley Lanes, contains 2,061 acres, and about 900 inhabitants. Rateable value, £2,749. The parish is bounded on the east by the river Ouse, and on the north and west by Northamptonshire. Lipscomb writes:- “The soil is a strong clay, with a portion of mould, as it is here turned, or rich loam, with strata of limestone near the surface; and gravel in those parts which border the Ouse, and the clay intermixed. Abundance of oyster-shells are found in the arable land; and it is remarkable that none of them are flat, but all nearly of similar shape, with so deep convexity, that when two are found united, they are frequently almost spherical. On the north of the village is a Roman Road, on which is a steep ascent, called Augur's, or Orgar's Hill.

The village is large and compact, and is seated in a hollow, 4.5 miles W.S.W. from Olney, and 4.5 miles N.W. from Newport Pagnell in the road from the latter town to Northampton.

Eakley Lanes is said to have formerly been a distinct parish, and had a chapel which was served once a month. There are two manors or reputed manors here.

Education

Stoke Goldington Parish (Pop. 912)

Two Infant Schools, with about 14 children of both sexes, and One Daily School with 12 males ; the whole receiving instruction at the expense of their parents.

Two Sunday Schools, supported by voluntary contributions; one with 48 males and 54 females, who attend the Established Church ; the other is attached to the Independent denomination, and consists of 60 males and 58 females; this School has a lending Library.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.