Stone

Introduction

Church: St John the Baptist

Hundred: Aylesbury

Poor Law District: Aylesbury

Size (acres): 2568

Easting & Northing: 478212

Grid Ref SP780120 Click to see map

Names

Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Stone PARISH St John the Baptist
Bourn Hill NAMES name for Burn Hill in 10722
Chillisbury Hill (Fm) NAMES name for Chilborohill 1826
Sircotes NAMES name for Southcote in 1511
Standhills 1825 NAMES name for Standal's Farm in 1826
Stanes NAMES name for Stone in Domesday Book in 1086
Sudcote NAMES name for Southcote in Domesday Book in 1086
Watton Hill NAMES name for Waddon Hill in 1826
Weslyan NON-CONFORMIST Bishopstone. First Mentioned: 1836
Alwyn Lawn PLACE within the parish
Bishopstone PLACE within the parish
Burn Hill PLACE within the parish
Chilborohill (Fm) PLACE within the parish
Waddon Hill PLACE within the parish

 

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 515
1811 592
1821 716
1831 773
1841 809
1851 785
1861 1094
1871 1292
1881 1368
1891 1433
1901 1393
1911 1610
1921 1692
1931 1633
1941 N/A
1951 1734
1961 2106
1971 2138
1981 2296
1991 1972

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Stone   St John the Baptist   Baptisms   1781   1902   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Stone   St John the Baptist   Marriages   1538   1902   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Stone   St John the Baptist   Burials   1678   1731   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Stone   St John the Baptist   Burials   1813   1902   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Stone   St John the Baptist   Burials   1586   1678   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available

School

 

School Records Project

Place   School Type   Name   Start Year   End Year   Indexed   Document Type
    Stone & Hartwell         Stone     1872     1897     Yes     Logbook
    Stone & Hartwell         Stone     1897     1906         Logbook
    Stone & Hartwell         Stone     1906     1942         Logbook
    Stone & Hartwell         Stone     1942     1975         Logbook
    Bishopstone     Mixed     Stone     1898     1926         Logbook
    Bishopstone     Mixed     Stone     1917     1939         Minute Book

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 GURNEY MONK CARTER CARTER
2 PLOMER CARTER MILES MILES
3 COLLINS KIRBY MILLER MONK
4 SARE HORTON HORTON HORTON
5 GOWRNYE TURNER MONK MILLER
6 GOODALL PLOMER TURNHAM BATES
7 BETTERTON SMITH BATES TURNHAM
8 WRIGHT BATES KIRBY KIRBY
9 MUNDAY FARMBOROUGH SMALL SMITH
10 JENNENS CLARKE STANLEY TURNER

Description

Description of Stone, from J.J. Sheahan, 1861.

This parish, including Bishopstone, Littleworth, and part of Sedrup, contains 2,590 acres and 785 inhabitants. The rateable value is £3,422. The soil is rich and good, on a bed of white sand above the Kimmeridge clay. The sand is of a peculiarly fine description, and is found here in large quantities – the finest quality being used in the manufacture of glass.

The village is situated on the road from Aylesbury to Thame, 3 miles S.W. from the former town, and 7 miles N.E. from the latter. Market gardening is carried on here to a large extent; and the manufacture of pillow-lace is the chief employment of the females. Stone (anciently Stane, a station) gave name to the old hundred in which it was situated, but since merged in the modern hundred of Aylesbury.

The hamlet of Bishopstone is on the eastern side of the parish, and consists of a line of cottages and farm residences extending nearly a mile in length. Here is a Wesleyan Chapel.

South-thorpe, or Sedrup, is a small hamlet, partly in this, and partly in the parish of Hartwell.

In 1802, Sir William Plomer, Knt., bequeathed to the poor of Stone, £100 stock, Four-per-Cent. Bank Annuities – afterwards reduced.

The Living is a discharged Vicarage, rated in the King's Books at £9, now worth £280 per annum, in the gift of the Royal Astronomical Society of London, and incumbency of the Rev. James Booth, LL.D., F.R.S. The advowson was given to Oseney Abby, by William de Braci. The impropriate Rectory and patronage were included in the grant of a manor here by King Henry VIII. to Oxford Cathedral.

By an Inclosure Act, in 1776, land was allotted to the Vicar in lieu of certain tithes. There are now 92 acres of glebe. In 1849, the late Vicar (Rev. J.B.Reade, now rector of Ellesborough) sold twenty acres of glebe land to the County Magistrates, for the site of the Lunatic Asylum, at £150 per acre. The money was partly appropriated to the purchase of 46 acres of land at Horsendon; and the remainder, about £600, was placed in the hands of the Accountant General.

The Vicarage is a good family residence, with picturesque pleasure grounds, laid out by the Rev. J.B.Reade, the late vicar. On the lawn is an Observatory, of Grecian design, containing a transit room, and an equatorial tower, the revolving roof of which was formerly in Vice-Admiral Smyth's Observatory at Bedford.

There is a Wesleyan Chapel at Stone, a small red brick building; and another at Bishopstone – a neat erection in about the centre of the hamlet.

The school, which was instituted in 1821, by the Rev. Sir George Lee, Bart., then the incumbent, stands on the road to Bishopstone, and is a plain building. One acre of land has been annexed to it by J. Lee, Esq., and this is cultivated by the boys, for which they receive small gratuities. About 30 children attend.

Education

Stone Parish (Pop. 773)

Two Daily Schools (commenced 1822), containing about 45 males and 40 females (who also attend on Sundays), supported by the Vicar and principal inhabitants, aided by payments from the scholars;

One Boarding School, in which about 10 females are educated at the expense of their friends.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.