Swanbourne

Introduction

Church: St Swithin

Hundred: Cottesloe

Poor Law District: Winslow

Size (acres): 2552

Easting & Northing: 480227

Grid Ref SP800270 Click to see map

Names

Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Swanbourne PARISH St Swithin
Swanbrough NAMES name for Swanbourne in 1606
Methodist NON-CONFORMIST First Mentioned: 1871
Particular Baptist NON-CONFORMIST First Mentioned: 1809. Rebuilt 1863 closed 1970
Primitive Methodist NON-CONFORMIST Nearton. First Mentioned: 1858. Rebuilt 1907

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 529
1811 499
1821 616
1831 668
1841 679
1851 646
1861 603
1871 558
1881 474
1891 429
1901 405
1911 427
1921 447
1931 359
1941 N/A
1951 350
1961 394
1971 374
1981 385
1991 464

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Swanbourne   St Swithin   Baptisms   1565   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Swanbourne   St Swithin   Marriages   1566   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Swanbourne   St Swithin   Burials   1565   1895   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available

 

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 DEVERELL ANSTEE ALDERMAN ANSTEE
2 LANE DEVERELL ASH DEVERELL
3 KING ADAMS ANSTEE ALDERMAN
4 GRACE ORCHARD PITKIN ORCHARD
5 LENO CARTER TURVEY ASH
6 CARPENTER STEVENS BROOKS CARTER
7 BOND GILBERT NORTH LANE
8 BECKLEY SMITH PHILLIPS ADAMS
9 CARTER GREEN WALKER PITKIN
10 SMYTH HENLEY ORCHARD TURVEY

 

Description

Description of, Swanbourne, from J.J. Sheahan, 1861.

The area of Swanbourne is 2,510 acres. Population, 602; rateable value, £3,702. The Buckinghamshire Railway intersects the parish, and the “Swanbourne Station” on the line is about 1.5 mile from the village. The soil is a gravelly sand, based on clay. The village is seated on an eminence, and of considerable size, and is distant 2.25 miles E. from Winslow, and 9 miles N. from Aylesbury. Nearton, or Nerton End is a detached part of the village, about a quarter of a mile from the church, where are some good modern brick-built houses. The villagers make lace and straw-plait.

The old Manor House, situated a little S.W. of the church, was formerly much larger than at present. It is an interesting building, of stone, with embattled porch, mullioned windows, and projecting gables. This house, which has been unoccupied for several years, is about to be pulled down, and Sir Thomas has already made preparations for erecting a new mansion on a site adjoining. On the east side of the churchyard is another old house, of stone, in the Domestic Gothic style, with a porch, dated 1632. Some of the mullions windows remain. Swanbourne House is the present seat of Sir Thomas F. Fremantle.

The Living of the Vicarage, rated in the King's Books at £9 9s. 7d., and now worth about £150 per annum. Patron, the Lord Chancellor; Vicar, Rev. James Niven. When the parish was enclosed in 1761, allotments were awarded to the impropriator, the church, and the poor.

The Vicarage House stand a little north from the church. There is a small Baptist Chapel at Swanbourne End; and a small Primitive Methodist Chapel at Nerton End. The school, for boys, is a small, neat red brick building, erected 1832. About forty attend daily, twenty of whom are taught free, reading, writing, arithmetic, geography, etc. Twelve of that number belong to Swanbourne, and eight to the adjoining parish of Mursley, in consideration of an annual rent charge of £15, left in 1712, by Nicholas Godwin. About sixty children attend the Infant School, which is held in a cottage.

Education

Swanbourne Parish (Pop. 668)

One Day and Sunday National School, containing 100 males, endowed with a small yearly sum, otherwise supported by subscription and small payments from the scholars.

Two Sunday Schools, one with 75 females, who attend the Established Church; the other appertains to Baptists, and consists of about 20 children. In the Sunday Schools the children have gratuitous instruction, and both have commenced since 1818.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.